What's with the brand hate? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's with the brand hate?

I've been looking for a new board this summer and this has been my first time really researching to find the best board for me. I've looked at Never Summer, Burton, Lib tech, Rome and a few more brands. It seems like most people snowboarding have intense hate with all board brands that are not their own. I went into one shop, and the shop owner says he only sells Never Summer boards because all other board companies only are interested in getting money, and because of that make crap boards. He even said my old Burton board probably had a foam core (I have a pretty big chip in my board and can say the board has a wood core.) And I know other people that complain that the Good Wood Test should just be all Burton boards because everything else sucks. What I'm trying to say is shouldn't most popular companies make pretty good boards to get such loyal followers or are people really that stupid that they think their board is the best without considering that anything else has decent technology?
OHeazt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What person wants to admit the board they own is a pile of shit?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHeazt View Post
shouldn't most popular companies make pretty good boards to get such loyal followers or are people really that stupid that they think their board is the best without considering that anything else has decent technology?
Yes, and for many, Yes. Keeping in mind what might be the best technology for one might not be for someone else.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Turbocharged

The best board in the world is the one I own. Why? Because it's MINE!
Seriously though, I love my Salomon almost as much as my girlfriend (jk, in case she's on here XD ), but I would have no problem owning or using another brand. You don't get to be a reputable brand by making shit boards.
I bet if you offered a Burton board to a Burton hater for free, they'd take it. The only reason they hate on Burton is because they own a different brand board.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Its true. Gear is gear sure some is better than other but bottom line its really the rider's personal preferance
Beatlesfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don`t hate any companies. But I would rather not buy from some. Like burton and the whole k2, nitro, ride corp. I dont try to push this mindset or anything though.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlesfan888 View Post
Its true. Gear is gear sure some is better than other but bottom line its really the rider's personal preferance
shreduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Truth of the matter is that most companies have different lines of boards and in their line up they can have very high quality boards and disposable pieces of shit designed to sell very cheap.
It's the same in every industry. Every company markets their products as the best thing since sliced bread.

Personally, what bugs me in the snowboard industry is that if you remove any reference to the model from the marketing hype, then you'd be hard pressed to figure out what is entry level versus high end. Every board is responsive and stable, every jacket is warm and water proof, goggles never fog up, etc. There are few industry-wide comparable ratings for things like flex or dampening (thank God there's one for waterproofing and breathability).

I don't have a huge supply of cash for gear and can't afford to make many mistakes buying lemons. When I find good value and good results, I tend to stay with that company. Conversely, I can get a hate on pretty quick when my $500 boots fall apart in one season while my $99 ones took four.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have the companies that I love, and the ones that I hate. Burton is one of them that I hate. Bought one a few years back, did some jibbing with it, and after a few days of use the edge popped right off. Burton refused to help me out.

Neversummer on the other hand is great, they stand by all of their products and do whatever they can to help you out.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Go on a gaming website's forums and look what most of the posts consist of. They consist of someone hating on the ps3, glorifying the Xbox 360, and then the next comment is the reverse. A product is what it is and more then anything it's just illogical personal preference.

The more of a snowboard snob I become the further away I get from wanting to buy the namebrands like Burton.

But you know what, when I first started out Burton was the shit, and hell, I still have Burton shit.

I just think personally there are some smaller companies out there that make quality products and could use the money much more then a megacorporation.

NeverSummer boards may be expensive and rare, but you can see how the quality holds true since most people on this forum will stand by them.