Board for girlfriend - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
mattsnowboard

Default Board for girlfriend

So my girlfriend has been borrowing old equipment for over a year now that barely fits and itís time to get her something decent to ride. Iíve already found a nice deal on last yearís 32 prions and Iím considering the Ride VXnís for bindings. The only thing Iím not sure on is the board. Sheís about 5í4Ē and 140lbs with size 9 boots. I was thinking she could ride something in the 148-150cm range. She wants to try some park but Iíd want to get her something that will be good as an all-mountain board. Oh, and sheís an art major and very picky about the graphicsÖbut Iíll do my best to convince her if there is a really good board out there.

Anyway, Iím trying to keep the board around/under $200, which isnít too hard with all of the deals on last years stuff. The three boards she likes (based on looks out of all the boards I could find), are:
DC BFF 150 (2008/2009) $160
GNU B-Real 147 (2009) $175
Arbor Eden 148 (2009/2010) $200

The DC seems like a really good deal but Iíve heard some reviews of it being too soft, maybe not good for all mountain. But I do like the idea of getting her more of a park-centric board as long as it rides well for other things as well. Iím just a little nervous that they have so many so cheap (does no one like them?). The Arbor doesnít sound bad to me, and Iíve heard people like them as a brand. Just a little pricier. Not sure on the GNU except I've heard good things about the company for boards.

So Iím open to other suggestions or opinions on these three boards. Iím hoping to surprise her with an early x-mas gift. Let me know which of these you think would be best for her or if there are other good deals out there I should consider instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Make sure you check waist and tip/tail widths. She's got some gigantic feet for her size. I think you've got the right idea with the size range for her height/weight, but just not sure about toe drag.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

The b-real is a directional twin cambered, may be go more of a true twin rocker btx like b-nice for park or b-street for jibby stuff. Last year's groomer/mini park board (I don't do park except for little short straight airs)was 08 b-nice btx/cambered 153 (the 09 b-nice became nannard, iirc). otoh, if she only been riding a year or so, any decent intermediate/advanced all mtn twin will work until she developes her skillz, style and preference. Size 9 shouldn't be a problem with toe drag in the 148-150 range.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
mattsnowboard

Thanks for the feedback!

Triple8Sol:
I had done a little checking on some size calculators that take height/weight/shoe size plus ability and style into consideration and they give a length and waist width. Seemed like the widths looked good for what those said (not sure how accurate it is) as wrathfuldeity confirms.

wrathfuldeity:
And she doesn't need a park-specific board. She wants to be able to ride all over but she's going to try a little park (boxes and smaller jumps at least). So I'm thinking an all-mountain board will be best for now. The directional-twin should be fine and I'm okay sticking with regular camber. Or do you really think she'd be better off with a true twin?

Anyway, I'm hearing more and more good things about the Eden so I'm leaning toward that. Still looking for more suggestions or opinions on those boards.