first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default first board

hi guys im looking at buying my first snowboard so i went to my local shop and they recomended a flow verve with trilogy bindings or 5150 movement and 5150 ff2000 or forum journals thanks
justlearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

dude.. im searching for a board too. and im NOOB please help?? sorry to thread jack
EdgarCervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi JL, Hi Edgar,

Stoked that you guys are loving boarding and are ready to gear up. There are a few pieces of info that will be needed so that you can get some solid suggestions here or from the shops that you visit.

Most importantly, please let us know your weights and foot sizes. Where will you be riding? i.e. Smaller hills in Michigan, Colorado resorts, French Alps, etc. What type of riding are you into (or planning on getting into)? i.e. parks, pipes, rails, carving groomers, backcountry? If you don't know yet, that's a fine answer and will still help in getting you the correct gear.

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

Thanks!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For beginning it doesn't really matter much what brand of board and bindings you get. Just get some cheap shit! Used stuff is great. After a season of riding you will have a much clearer idea of exactly what type of board/bindings you need for your riding and then you can go out and spend the big bucks.
But do spend good money on boots that fit mint. No matter what board is under your feet, if your feet are cold/hurt/tight/loose your day is shit.
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What he said....most of all spend your money on time on the snow, With decent gear all you need is riding time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabraman View Post
For beginning it doesn't really matter much what brand of board and bindings you get. Just get some cheap shit! Used stuff is great. After a season of riding you will have a much clearer idea of exactly what type of board/bindings you need for your riding and then you can go out and spend the big bucks.
But do spend good money on boots that fit mint. No matter what board is under your feet, if your feet are cold/hurt/tight/loose your day is shit.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

hi guys im around 60kgs a nine to 9.5 im in new zealand so probaly mt hutt and mt lyford. planning on riding mostly park but will ride everywhere my fett are 25cm

im looking at a very cheap 2009 ns evo 151
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You need something nice and short. Definitely under 150cm.
You're pretty light (60kg = 130lbs) and those hills have mellower terrain (and you'll be mainly riding park like u mentioned)
Old 09-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

i went to a shop and he said about 152 and i can get a good deal on a 151 neversummer evo would that be good or a 148 capita stair master extreme (ltd ed)?

Last edited by justlearning; 09-06-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlearning View Post
hi guys im around 60kgs a nine to 9.5 im in new zealand so probaly mt hutt and mt lyford. planning on riding mostly park but will ride everywhere my fett are 25cm

im looking at a very cheap 2009 ns evo 151
Thanks for the info. 25 cm is actually a US mens size 7 (not a 9 to 9.5).

This becomes important because the NS Evo 151 that you were looking at is 24.3 at the waist (but is 25.1 wide at the center insert - remember that you stand on the inserts not the "waist"). So, even at a straight stance, your toes/heels will not be at the edges (you want/need your bare feet to at least match the board width at your chosen stance and angles or to have some overhang both toe an heel side - up to 1 cm), and that will get worse with more stance angle. Here is some info on board width:

The Boarder's Blog - Snowboard Width - Huh?

The Evo 148 is 24.9 at the center insert which will allow you much better control. If you ride with heavy stance angles you will want to look for an even narrower board than the 148.

The Stairmaster extreme is a pretty fun board but the waist on the 148 is 24.8 (and it is 25.4 at the center insert). So, even at a straight stance (zero degree) you would struggle.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 09-06-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlearning View Post
i went to a shop and he said about 152 and i can get a good deal on a 151 neversummer evo would that be good or a 148 capita stair master extreme (ltd ed)?
Go for the Capita!