Need a new deck - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Need a new deck

Hey there! Just joined the forums, been boarding for about 10 yrs on a Burton I bought used 10 yrs ago. I think it's time for a new deck. I am 37yrs old, 6'0", and 190lbs. Price my last concern - I want to find the right board and haven't thought about it at all so I have a lot of learning to do... Here are my thoughts and questions:

How I ride:
I don't mess with terrain park. I am a blue course rider that seeks powder as often as I can find it. I ride at Copper Mountain mostly often with my 13yr old son and 10yr old daughter. I am not into jumping, tricks, moguls, etc. I like smooth sweeps and tight turns and POWDER

New boards that I have been looking at:
NeverSummer Raptor
Raptor/Raptor X | Never Summer Industries
NeverSummer Heritage
Heritage/Heritage X | Never Summer Industries
NeverSummer F1
Premier F1 | Never Summer Industries

I really dig the CO styling of the Heritage.

Questions:
Are these boards too technically advanced for me? (I don't even know what I mean by that)
What non-NeverSummer boards should I be looking at?
I don't see a weight / height guidelines chart on NS site to help me figure out the right size to get, how do I find that out?

thanks in advance...
MountainManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

as for the board being too much for you i dont think you will have a problem there at all. im not 100% sure about sizing but i think somewhere in the 161-64 range should be a decent place to start.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A good size for you would be a 159 or 160. Wide if you have size 11.5 boots or higher.

As for those NeverSummer boards, they get rave reviews around here. I'm sure you'll end up with a NeverSummer, but I'll toss a few other suggestions in there.

K2 Turbo Dream: This is a great all-mountain board with an all-mountain rocker. This is going to be a blast to ride in powder. It has a stiffer medium flex and handles speed very well due to the harshmellow technology. This tech dampens the board.

K2 Turbo Dream Mens Snowboard 2011

Ride High Life: This is an all-mountain/powder stick. It is a directional snowboard with a flat camber in the tail and a low profile rocker in the tip. This is absolutely a blast to ride in powder. I don't get much powder here, but what little I did have was so fun to surf on with this board. It also handled the groomers extremely well due to its stiffness. Another outstanding aspect of this board was how it carved. The torsional rigidity had me powering out of my turns.

Ride Highlife Snowboard 2011
Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Somewhere around a 161 is a good place to look. I'd also take a close look at the Arbor lineup. Maybe an A'Frame? They are super gorgeous...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Somewhere around a 161 is a good place to look. I'd also take a close look at the Arbor lineup. Maybe an A'Frame? They are super gorgeous...
The A-Frame will probably be my next board. Or maybe the Wasteland. Currently on an Arbor Element and love it.

If you're riding mostly powder, I think a 162 would be good for your weight.
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sorry ..Just stoked! ;P
This should rip the groomers and surf like a dream on pow....I'll tell you in a couple of months..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainManCO View Post
Hey there! Just joined the forums, been boarding for about 10 yrs on a Burton I bought used 10 yrs ago. I think it's time for a new deck. I am 37yrs old, 6'0", and 190lbs. Price my last concern - I want to find the right board and haven't thought about it at all so I have a lot of learning to do... Here are my thoughts and questions:

How I ride:
I don't mess with terrain park. I am a blue course rider that seeks powder as often as I can find it. I ride at Copper Mountain mostly often with my 13yr old son and 10yr old daughter. I am not into jumping, tricks, moguls, etc. I like smooth sweeps and tight turns and POWDER

New boards that I have been looking at:
NeverSummer Raptor
Raptor/Raptor X | Never Summer Industries
NeverSummer Heritage
Heritage/Heritage X | Never Summer Industries
NeverSummer F1
Premier F1 | Never Summer Industries

I really dig the CO styling of the Heritage.

Questions:
Are these boards too technically advanced for me? (I don't even know what I mean by that)
What non-NeverSummer boards should I be looking at?
I don't see a weight / height guidelines chart on NS site to help me figure out the right size to get, how do I find that out?

thanks in advance...
KIRKRIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

thats a beautiful board, what is it?!
MountainManCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A-frame or Abacus

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

'09/'10 Arbor A-Frame
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You guys are recommending a longer board than needed for this guy. 162 isn't going to be as fun as a 159 or 160. I would recommend a 162 to a 200lb person. I mean, you can totally ride a 162, but you aren't going to get the control of a 160 plus the board will be stiffer than it's stated flex since you are underweight for it. If you go with a rockered board, you can do a 158 or 159 easy without losing any float in the powder.

Honestly, with all the camber and sidecut tech out right now, there is no need for lengthy powder boards. The only scenario that I can think of why someone would want a long board for powder is back-country and off-trail powder hunting. Since you are doing a mix of groomed runs, I again highly recommend that you stick with 158-160.

By the way, Arbor makes really great quality boards. The entire brand also looks gorgeous to boot. Very artistic designs.