new gear for a new year - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new gear for a new year

Hey guys, I've only ridden for a couple of sparse seasons, but I'm looking to upgrade my current equipment. Right now I have a 24/7 board with Avalanche bindings & Burton Ruler boots. I'm about 5'10", 180lbs, Size 11 boot. I ride more-less all-mountain/freeride, and I'm looking for something that's a true twin and centered stance in case I decide to try out the park a bit. I was looking towards a GNU Carbon Credit and possibly Flow bindings. Just a decent 156-159 board for what I ride. Do you guys have any advice/suggestions/opinions? I just want to find a good board to progress on, preferably under $400. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 13below; 09-30-2010 at 09:33 PM.
13below is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

nothing???
Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

True twin centered is not really a board you should be wanting for your style of riding. Even if you start doing park, you will be a beginner so it won't be necessary. You can get a directional twin and it will do just fine for you and be better for all-mountain.

If you want a true twin that much though, the Ride Machete is an excellent option for you. I would say go for the 2011 version because it is stiffer than the 2010 model which means it will be more stable. Come to think of it, the Machete might not fit your boot size. You have a size 11 which is borderline wide. The Machete is a fairly narrow board. The wide version is too wide for you and the regular is too narrow.

Ride Machete Snowboard 2011

I would suggest a DH2 over the Machete for you actually. Again, it is another good centered twin. Stiffer than the Machete so not as good in the park, but that much better all-mountain.

Ride DH2 Mens Snowboard 2011

This is the board I just bought:

K2 Turbo Dream Mens Snowboard 2011

Sick board and the 159 will suit your boot size just fine. It's a directional twin and is a fun overall ride. It's not going to be an ideal jib board (rails), but it is an excellent jump board. Not a ton of pop, but satisfying enough.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

It does seem a little goofy to get a true twin if I'm not really going to be using it for full purpose. For whatever reason, I thought it would be better. Then again, I'm a beginner and I only have an idea of what I'm looking for.

The problem is that there aren't many online shops in Canada and none that I've seen sell K2. The only option I have for the Turbo Dream is to go over to the D or order online from the states. I don't have the money to pay $200+ for shipping on top of a $500 board. This brings me to the Ride Machete and the DH2. Is there any real difference from the 2010 DH2 to the 2011 DH2, besides a couple different features? The reason I'm asking is because I found a 2010 DH2 156W on thinkempire.com for $350 CDN. Seems like a good deal. Would a 159 suit me better for all mountain and my height/weight?

I forgot to mention that most of what I'll be riding in is hard pack and some light powder. Mainly around Collingwood, unless I go over to Alpine Valley or Mt. Brighton. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by 13below; 10-01-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm from Toronto. I think Ski's and Bikes is listed as a K2 dealer. I'll prbably buy at the snowboard show in a couple of weeks. I'd be shocked if you couldn't find anything there... could probably get a nice deal too.
boarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Where may this snowboard show be? I'll be up in Barrie next week and for a little while after.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's in Toronto. At the exhibition place from the 14th to the 17th.

Toronto Ski, Snowboard & Travel Show
boarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Definitely gonna try to make it, thanks for the tip!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

o yea bud if you can make it to the snowboard show (I'll be there ) then you can score some sweet deals.

Just take so much cash with you and you can haggle dealers down on stuff too. Remember it cost's them money to take the stock back home with them too
Jud_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hahahaha I'll def keep that in mind. Thanks man! Now it's just a matter of how much cash I can bring.