sizing help for gift - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default sizing help for gift

need to pick up a gift for a 12 year old girl 5"7 with a size 8.5 burton boot weighs{womans large binding} about 105.... she has been boarding for 2 seasons .... is a 148 cm wide burton feather ez v rocker too big? her older sister is 5"10 so i wanted her to get a few seasons out of the board
neveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Questions:
Where will she be riding? East coast hardpack/ice, Rocky Mtn Powder, NW where they get everything all in one day...
How many days each season, and after two seasons, can she carve a turn well?
Is she riding piste and groomed blues, or park?
Women's 8.5 or men's 8.5?
Did the older sister explode into a heavier curvy body at the age of 13? Because 5'7" at 105 is model thin, which is pretty common at her age or even a little older.

Oh, and why did you think the burton feather was a good choice, and why in wide (foot size or powder?)
Best,
Todd
Toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

[QUOTE=Toddler;309568]Questions:
Where will she be riding? East coast hardpack/ice, Rocky Mtn Powder, NW where they get everything all in one day...
How many days each season, and after two seasons, can she carve a turn well?
Is she riding piste and groomed blues, or park?
Women's 8.5 or men's 8.5?
Did the older sister explode into a heavier curvy body at the age of 13? Because 5'7" at 105 is model thin, which is pretty common at her age or even a little older.

Oh, and why did you think the burton feather was a good choice, and why in wide (foot size or powder?)
Best,
Todd[/QUOTE
she rides in the Northern Cal tahoe basin area. she can carve turns and link turns , she spent her first year regular stance to find out last year she is better riding goofy.she rides slow {well as compared to me} she sticks to the groomed area and has yet to hit a park. her boots are a 8.5 woman. last year she got in about 16 days and this year should get in substantially more. her older sister was about 5'10 at about 14 /15 years old and a women's size 10/11 boot.i dont think she will gain more than another 15 lbs although her sister who is a collegiate h2o polo player is 5"11 and 150. she has woman's burton stiletto bindings in a large size.she is very athletic and is into street skating.
the feather was on a screaming sale and i got another discount on it and was an impulse buy but i have time to return and or exchange it for something more appropiate. if needed. we wanted to get a few seasons on the board while she is growing but i think i might have picked up something a bit too big. her last board from 2 seasons ago was a 136 standard camber board which is too narrow for her curent bindings as well.

Last edited by neveo; 10-01-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tough call, she's tall and athletic, so she could probably handle the board, but it may not be much fun except in powder. Despite her height advantage, I think it's a long board for her. Sorry, I empathize on loving the deal!

I actually looked at the Feather for my wife, but after a lot of reading, I bought her a 2010 Rossignol Justice in 145 instead. It was only $230 shipped, so if she gets 2 seasons out of it, I won't complain. Would have love to buy her the Roxy Ollie Pop with C2, but it was more than twice the price since C2 is only on the 2011's.

I know one member here hates Rossi CamRock, but it gets good reviews and I figure the 1mm of camber is essentially a rocker-flat-rocker board. My wife is shorter and 20 something lbs heavier, but my guess is something like the rossi or a rocker-flat-rocker board will do better on groomers, will be a lot less squirly, and will still do well in powder.

Oh, and my wife's Large Burton Lexa's and size 8 Vans fit on it easily, so 8.5 women's boots will too. Not so sure about 11's though, my men's 9's look like they overhang a bit.

Can I ask about what the screaming deal on the feather was?
Todd
Old 10-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I bet she will be just fine with the Feather. My daughter's best friend is about the same size, 5'6" and probably just over 100lbs, and when she goes along with us she rides my wife's old board which is a 147. She doesn't have any problems with it. The 148 will give her a little room to grow so she can get a couple of seasons out of the board.

It's very cool that you are setting her up with a new board, it's great to see kids having fun on the snow.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was more concerned about her being at the bottom of the weight range (100-145) and the v-rocker on groomers. But I checked and despite being a "wide", the feather wide has about the same waist width and almost the same sidecut as my wife's 145 Justice. Also, while she's lighter thn my wife, she'll be on ice less. Plus, she can easily add a strap pad if the rocker causes her trouble exiting the lifts. So I won't disagree with Rufus.

Todd
Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

thanks all, she cares nothing about the actual board except for the graphics...I keep telling her substance before style ... especially when im paying.

we bring her friends up alot and have a great time together. the house is always full of friends{ this way i can keep my eye on them}

my wife is on a 151 and will be upgrading this year.. im next and cant figure our custom wide, custom x wide, or custom flying v rocker for my all mountain stick
Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would argue a big HELL NO on the Burton Feather. It's truly a beginner board, one that many ladies report growing out of in just weeks. If she's been boarding for a few years and is already proficient, get her something else. This is even more true if you're expecting the board to last her a few seasons.

Since she's still growing, get her a softer board (all-mountain freestyle) that is on the longer side for her weight. I weigh the same as her and I ride a 141 and a 143. A 148 is very long, but doable.

Some other boards to consider:
Gnu B-Nice
Gnu B-Street
Roxy Ollie Pop
Roxy Eminence
Never Summer Pandora
K2 Fling
Rome Vinyl
Ride Compact
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote