sizing for a park/jib board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default sizing for a park/jib board

hey guys

I'm lookin at a jib/park board, I'm 5'11 and weigh about 185lbs. I was thinking the smallest I'd want to go would probably be 153 and the biggest 156
Jud_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud_X View Post
hey guys

I'm lookin at a jib/park board, I'm 5'11 and weigh about 185lbs. I was thinking the smallest I'd want to go would probably be 153 and the biggest 156
It totally depends on manufacture specs for a given board (size) the weight that given board is designed to handle. Height has nothing to do with it. See the FAQ I wrote (esp. post #5) here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/wel...nt-guides.html

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
hey guys

i am exactly the same size as you, and i ride a 151 lib tech box scratcher. a lot of people who are lighter than you and i say its a bit stiff, but it is the SWEETEST jib board for a bigger rider. I highly recommend it!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just look on the weight ranges on the board, more than likely though you'll be somewhere between 153 and 156.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was just curious about some size ranges, I figured it would be in between somewhere. I was looking at a Rome artifact rocker and the 153's top sheet is ugly lol I figured I might be able to use a 156.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatebanana101 View Post
i am exactly the same size as you, and i ride a 151 lib tech box scratcher. a lot of people who are lighter than you and i say its a bit stiff, but it is the SWEETEST jib board for a bigger rider. I highly recommend it!

hmm I'll look into it, maybe I can find a good deal at the snowboard show
anyway thanks for all the input guys
Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you're only going to jib than go as small as you want to. If you want to hit some bigger drops and jumps or tall boxes or rails than you might take size into consideration. I ride a 147cm to jib but a 152cm for most everything else. Jib boards are usually useless for everything else, unless you weight like 120lbs or less. That box scratcher is nice, but it's wide and short making it a jib only by my standards. I like something more narrow for ripping and jumps. I have a Machete that rips EVERYTHING. It's the only board that does everything and well that I've ridden. I have a Signal Park series that is nuts for jibbing but is a limp dick on hard pack and larger jumps. But from my experience a jib board never bodes well outside the park, and for the most part doesn't hold up to the rest of the park (jumps, pipe, large features).

And don't get that Artifact if you don't have another board for outside the park. The edge hold is a joke on them and they are WAY too soft for a big guy. They do jib well though. If jib only is your preference than it's a great deck. I would recommend that, Signal Park, Ride Kink, or K2 WWW if you want jib only fun.

Last edited by Anor; 10-03-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I was just curious about some size ranges, I figured it would be in between somewhere. I was looking at a Rome artifact rocker and the 153's top sheet is ugly lol I figured I might be able to use a 156.

hmm I'll look into it, maybe I can find a good deal at the snowboard show
anyway thanks for all the input guys

this is where i got mine... last years model is better in my opinion because it's a bit softer than the 2011 one and its graphics for the 151 are better in my opinion too

o2gearshop.com
Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anor View Post
If you're only going to jib than go as small as you want to. If you want to hit some bigger drops and jumps or tall boxes or rails than you might take size into consideration. I ride a 147cm to jib but a 152cm for most everything else. Jib boards are usually useless for everything else, unless you weight like 120lbs or less. That box scratcher is nice, but it's wide and short making it a jib only by my standards. I like something more narrow for ripping and jumps. I have a Machete that rips EVERYTHING. It's the only board that does everything and well that I've ridden. I have a Signal Park series that is nuts for jibbing but is a limp dick on hard pack and larger jumps. But from my experience a jib board never bodes well outside the park, and for the most part doesn't hold up to the rest of the park (jumps, pipe, large features).

And don't get that Artifact if you don't have another board for outside the park. The edge hold is a joke on them and they are WAY too soft for a big guy. They do jib well though. If jib only is your preference than it's a great deck. I would recommend that, Signal Park, Ride Kink, or K2 WWW if you want jib only fun.
I do have a NS sl-r for out of the park. Just a friend of mine is in touch with the rep for rome so I can get good deals on em.

and I would like the board to be able to do jumps and I would like to get into the pipe more as well.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

By the way, here are the respective graphics for each
2010:

2011:
Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

A board that does jumps and pipe well probably won't be your typical jib board. Something like a Ride DH2, Machete, or DH2.4. Most pipe boards have camber and jib boards do not. Whereas for jumps you can go either way. Consider a hybrid base, or just get a light rocker (5mm or less) or flat camber. I think you'd dig a Machete. It's got 4mm of rocker and carbon array for edge hold, helps a lot on jumps and the new maple runners give it some nice pop. Or go for DH2 if you want flat and stiffer. The DH2.4 has a nice hybrid core that is camber with early lift or rocker. It's a little less catchy and has crazy pop. It's what a lot of the Ride guys are using for bigger jumps and all round park. But an all round park board is very different than a jib board. And unfortunately, new camber technology just widens that gap. But if you're not too serious about pipe you can find something that will do the rest well.

Sorry I don't know Rome's stuff well enough to help you out in term of their gear. I have ridden an Artifact and it was a nightmare outside the park or for jumps. Very nice for jibbing though.

Last edited by Anor; 10-03-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote