looking for a lighter board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Default looking for a lighter board

When I started riding a few years ago, I bought a Rossingol Premier. After a few years of frequent riding I'm starting to think it might not be the board for me. My main problem is how heavy it is. I'm assuming it was designed that way for speed (and it sure does get going), but I think I want something a bit more suited for freestyle cruising, as well as charging the steeps when necessary.

My other problem with the Rossi was I always felt the stance was too wide. I readjusted my bindings in several positions but nothing felt quite right. Is the length of the board the problem here, or is it specific to this board's design? I'm 5' 9 and riding a 156. Should I drop it down for my next board?
focusedwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

How much do you weigh?

And honestly man, weight on a board is usually something you get used to.... And your angles and width are something you should grow used to as well, to a point.

I fought a binding angle issue for a minute until I got it figured out. My back leg always felt like it wanted to spin around and it was mind boggling to me... Finally I figured out that it was my angle.

So it's kind of hard to help you here as I feel like we're missing info on what you're feeling.

But new boards these days are a lot lighter then older boards. If you want a freestyle type of stick that's surprisingly light and can do anything then get a 2011 Never Summer Heritage
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
How much do you weigh?

And honestly man, weight on a board is usually something you get used to.... And your angles and width are something you should grow used to as well, to a point.

I fought a binding angle issue for a minute until I got it figured out. My back leg always felt like it wanted to spin around and it was mind boggling to me... Finally I figured out that it was my angle.

So it's kind of hard to help you here as I feel like we're missing info on what you're feeling.

But new boards these days are a lot lighter then older boards. If you want a freestyle type of stick that's surprisingly light and can do anything then get a 2011 Never Summer Heritage
I weigh around 160 lbs. Like you said, maybe I need to play with the angles a bit more. I have tried a few different set ups but I can't get one I really like yet. No matter what my feet always feel too far spread. I have found that most of my buddy's boards are significantly lighter though.
focusedwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

If you feel like your feet are too far apart try narrowing your stance. Changing your binding angles won't really change that feeling. Take a tape measurer and measure between the bindings from the middle of each binding plate. For a freeride kinda setup at your height, Your gonna want it to be probably between 19 and 20.5in, something like that.

Try messing with the stance width and see if that changes anything.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
If you feel like your feet are too far apart try narrowing your stance. Changing your binding angles won't really change that feeling. Take a tape measurer and measure between the bindings from the middle of each binding plate. For a freeride kinda setup at your height, Your gonna want it to be probably between 19 and 20.5in, something like that.

Try messing with the stance width and see if that changes anything.
I just measured them, I'm at roughly 23 inches right now. So yeah, that could be part of the problem. I'm gonna see if I can narrow that gap down, hopefully that will improve my ride a bit.

Thanks for the tip HoboMaster.
focusedwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

I would hope he can put two and two together and realize if it feels to wide, that he needs to narrow the stance first...

Anyways, now that I'm thinking about it, you may need canted footbeds.

Are your knees hurting and feeling the pressure of being to wide or is it just your entire body?

And again my angles did play a factor in my stance feeling to wide and generally not right, so hobo, that is something to think about and not right off because it's an angle and not a width. Sounds weird I know, but for some people the angles does play a part in not feeling like the right width.
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedwaves View Post
I just measured them, I'm at roughly 23 inches right now. So yeah, that could be part of the problem. I'm gonna see if I can narrow that gap down, hopefully that will improve my ride a bit.

Thanks for the tip HoboMaster.
You seriously were having width issues and never thought of mounting the bindings closer together????
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
You seriously were having width issues and never thought of mounting the bindings closer together????
Apparently not, lol. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I have little experience with this stuff even on the basic levels, hence why I'm asking for help here. I'll be spending some time with both stances and angles then, hopefully I'll hit the sweet spot with one combo. And btw Milo, I haven't really had any knee issues so far.
focusedwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Alright, ya narrow your stance if your stance feels to wide... I assumed you had already narrowed it all the way and it still wasnt enough. So I was going to recommend canted footbeds to give you even a little more of a proper alignment
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Ok I got it down to around 20 inches. Feels a bit better, although it's not been a magic fix or anything, I'm still probably going to have to fine tune my angles a bit when I can actually test it on the slopes this season. So I guess I made a little bit of a fool of myself for not seeing the obvious. But, live and learn, right?
focusedwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums