Edge bevel help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Edge bevel help

So I've been trying to sharpen my edges with a regular file guide which has 88deg and 90deg. I've done some research and most says that most board comes with a 1 degree base bevel and 1 degree side bevel (I have a Ride Machete). First time sharpening I didn't know there was two sides with different angles on the file guide. So I ran the file again about 4-5 times both on the base edge and side edge with the 90deg side. So if I'm correct, that is a 0 degree bevel right and not the original 1 degree bevel? Will it affect my riding much or am I just worrying too much?
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A 0 degree base bevel will be very catchy. You will need a 1 degree base file guide and a 1 degree edge file guide if you want to get it back to the original bevel.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html

Read this thread, I think it will answer all of your questions.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I've read that thread but I'm confused about the base beveling because of my file guide. I guess the file guide is only for side edge which means I probably fuck my bevels up lol. Should I just buy a new file guide with both base and side edge bevel and run the edges again?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes you need a tool that can do both side and base edge, or a seperate guide for each. Make sure you get one that has the angles that you want.

SKS Base/Side Edge Bevel (Pocket-II) Tuner

This is the tool I use. It allows for a 1 degree base bevel and either an 89 or 88 degree edge bevel. I recommend you also buy a 70mm blue diamond stone to sharpen your edges, which will also fit in the edge tool. I only use a file when I'm setting the bevel or when my edges are really beat to hell.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea I just ordered that last night lol. So what actually happens to my base edge right now since I sharpened it using the 90 side edge only file?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

You probably just shaved a bit of the wall down closer to the base. I doubt you even ended up getting to the edge. Which is a good thing. You probably didn't sharpen it at all but shaped your edge a bit.
When you get your diamond stone remember to wet your edges like using fine grit automotive sandpaper. It will prevent loading and you'll get an even sharpen.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1* base bevel = 91* edge
2* base bevel = 92* edge

1* side edge = 89* edge
2* side edge = 88* edge

most all mtn board have a 90* edge with both the base and side edges at 1* each

freestyle boards might have a 1 or 2* base bevel because this will make the edges rise off the base, therefore making it less "catchy" when doing board slides or what not.

hardcore freeride boards might have a 1 or 2* side edge making the edges extremely sharp and unforgiving.

if u want to maintain your boards factory edges....u need to get the correct type of file guides.

I bought mine from SWIX. i have both a 1* base bevel guide and a 1* side edge guide. NEVER attempt to do ur edges freehand.