Snowboard Lenght - Don't know who to listen to =/ - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard Lenght - Don't know who to listen to =/

Hi there,

So I'm a Beginner to snowboarding, and I just bought my 1st board online. I'm 5' 11", 176 lb

First I bought a 158 board, but I decided to return it because it was a Wide and I don't need one. When I e-mailed the store about returning it, the guy told me that a 158 was too big for me, and that I should look into something smaller like 153-156. So I returned that board and got a 155.

Today I went to their store to buy a pair of boots, and after I got them I asked the guy what did he think about the size of the board I got. He told me to definitely return it and get a bigger one.

Now I'm in this situation. I don't know what to do. They have the same board i got in 158, and I'm not sure if I should get it or stick to mine.

I know the length is sort of personal preference also, but I can't wait for the season to start to decide it, because I won't be able to return it anymore =/

I just wanted you guys to give me some kind of advice on what to do. Maybe someone with a body similar to mine could tell me what size they ride? I remember a guy here telling me that he has a body similar to mine and rides a 155 for all mountain.

I appreciate your help guys...
Liqvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

56-58 should be fine for you as a beginner considering your weight. You probably don't even know what kind of riding you want to do yet...

You want to size down for a park stick and size up for a powder or more freeride type of board

You're probably getting the size differences because the two guys have different riding styles
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
56-58 should be fine for you as a beginner considering your weight. You probably don't even know what kind of riding you want to do yet...

You want to size down for a park stick and size up for a powder or more freeride type of board

You're probably getting the size differences because the two guys have different riding styles
yup. Oh and you need a wide with an 11 sized boot or bigger.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post

This. Also a lot of it is personal preference. Hell I rode a 147 in the park last year at 180 lbs. I got a 152 this year though that was a noodle.
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Smaller board is going to be easier to control as a beginner, where as a longer board is going to run faster and be harder to manage your edges. But once you're a proficient shred, a smaller board will be good in the park and trees, but will run slower and have less float in the deep stuff. Depends on how long you're planning on using this first board before upgrading.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
yup. Oh and you need a wide with an 11 sized boot or bigger.
Depends on the board, I've got 11.5 boots, large bindings, and my other board is a mid-wide
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the help guys.
Now without being able to try the board first, would you recommend me to stick to the 155 or get the 158?
What would you guys do based on your experience for example?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh and my foot is 10.5, so I don't think I need a wide.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you Snowolf and everybody.
I'll think I'll stick to the 155 for now then. If I feel it's not good for me, or that I get a lot better this season, then I'll consider getting another board for next season.

Thanks again for the help guys...
Old 10-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm about the same size as you and I have four boards and they range from 158 to 165. I'm not a big fan of the whole small board thing. Both of my park oriented boards are 158s, but then again, you'll usually find me in the jump lines, not jibbing. I'll hit a box or two occasionally, but that's about it. Jibbing's just not my thing.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote