new deck for 2011 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new deck for 2011

So I've been thinking about scooping a new deck this year, and much as I'd like a NS SL-R, I need to (at least short term) take NS off the table for financial reasons (not talking just straight MSRP here). So, looking for thoughts on a couple decks I'm considering:
  • Arbor Coda
  • Arbor Element RX
  • Jones Mountain Twin

Currently I've got a 159 Sierra Reverse Crew and 156 Sierrascope as my main decks (yeah yeah, I know), but at 6'2" and 200lbs, will probably go a shade longer if I pick up any of the above. So a couple questions:
  • How does the R Camber on the Jones or Arbor decks compare with the Capita FK and not-quite-Vrocker on my current decks? (or VRocker on the Hero I used to have?)
  • How similar flex-wise are the decks? (ie, am I getting more or less a board I already have?)
  • Is there something else I should be considering? I'm ideally looking for something that is a little more aggressive for charging, drives like a ferrari, but can cut through the chop on the crappy east coast days (and nights) I had a 09 UnInc that almost fits the board I'm looking for, but was a bit too lively on the pushed around snow and really killed my knees. My Dh2 DFC almost fit the profile too, but was a little too soft at 157 for me (should have gone longer) and didn't feel as locked in as the Uninc.

I ride East coast (MA and Southern VT mainly) and rarely see a powder day. Started really getting into the park in the last year and a half or so, but with a broken collarbone ending my season early last year and getting up there in age (33) I'm not really going to be doing much this season in terms of true freestyle. Occasional side hits on the trail or popping off rollers maybe, and any real goofing around on butters, etc, I've got the SScope for. Thoughts?
fostpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostpaint View Post
I need to (at least short term) take NS off the table for financial reasons (not talking just straight MSRP here).
What do you mean? Are you talkiing about getting last years? Cause all both those arbors and in the same price range as the ns, actually the element is 35 more.

"(not talking just straight MSRP here)." does that mean looking for last years boards?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Think Berkshire Bike and Board might carry Arbor, out by Butternut(if you hit this area) might want to give them a call and see if the have any that you can demo. Have a couple friends that have Arbors but never ridden one myself. I have not heard one bad thing about Arbor to date.

The Jones is one board I really want to get on and try out.

Good luck with your choices.

Assume he is talking about last seasons since he called it the SL-R

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop

Last edited by B.Gilly; 10-03-2010 at 03:53 PM.
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The dual camber of NS and Jones is different and FK is just a standard 3stage. NS is ReCamber, Jones is CamRock, Arbor is elliptical rocker. I would shoot for the Coda 161.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry guys, I guess I shouldn't have typed that first post so quick. I guess I was trying to avoid the recommendations of NS because a) I already know it fits my criteria b) I expected the recommendation based on the NS love on this forum (well deserved, BTW) c) It's the one board on the list I expect to pay full MSRP on

So yeah, I guess I should have said "I'm considering the SL-R, but looking at these other boards because I can potentially get them for cheaper, even though MSRP is the same"

Quote:
Originally Posted by little devil View Post
What do you mean? Are you talkiing about getting last years? Cause all both those arbors and in the same price range as the ns, actually the element is 35 more.

"(not talking just straight MSRP here)." does that mean looking for last years boards?
Talking current year on all the boards. But can get a discount on the Arbors and potentially the Jones that I can't get on the NS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Gilly View Post
Think Berkshire Bike and Board might carry Arbor, out by Butternut(if you hit this area) might want to give them a call and see if the have any that you can demo. Have a couple friends that have Arbors but never ridden one myself. I have not heard one bad thing about Arbor to date.

The Jones is one board I really want to get on and try out.

Good luck with your choices.

Assume he is talking about last seasons since he called it the SL-R
Thanks B.Gilly, and thanks for the PM. Hopefully can get some early season demos on this stuff. I'm in CT, and usually ride Wachusett and Southern VT (Okemo and Stratton, mostly) but I might make my way out to Butternut/Jiminy to get the demos you recommended. And I forgot the "R" got dropped off the SL this year, but I was in fact looking at this years. (though I wouldn't be disappointed to grab an 09 or 10 at a steal, the changes to make the line lighter and poppier this year really got me excited)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The dual camber of NS and Jones is different and FK is just a standard 3stage. NS is ReCamber, Jones is CamRock, Arbor is elliptical rocker. I would shoot for the Coda 161.
Yep, I realize the profiles of all the rockers are different. I guess I was looking for a more specific input on how they ride. The FK seemed to ride like the contact points were right under foot moving out towards the tips at higher speeds or more aggressive turns, whereas the Vrock rode more like the contacts were between the feet more and moved out at speed. While on paper the Arbor Elliptical rocker should ride more similar to the Vrocker, I'm wondering how the Grip Tech contact points under the mounting positions change that ride. I know the only way I'll know for sure is to demo them, but in the absence of getting on one myself (at least for a couple months) I figured I'd see if anyone had any firsthand experience with them.

Why the recommendation on the Coda? I read BA/Angry's review on it, and it certainly appealed to me (though the fact that he wanted to size down from his demo made me wonder if I'd really want it in a 161) but I wasn't sure how similar it was going to be to my current decks.
fostpaint is offline   Reply With Quote