How much can you vary board length? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Question How much can you vary board length?

Based on my height and weight, this site Board sizing Guide rates me for a 161 length board. I actually use a 156-157, which I have to admit feels a bit small.

I recently had a line on an NS Premier (older model) in a 165. Didn't end up getting it, but I'm wondering how critical sizing is, and how much you can vary it without getting in trouble.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Personal opinion will always vary, but I'd say generally 4 cm up or down is safe
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Based on my height and weight, this site Board sizing Guide rates me for a 161 length board. I actually use a 156-157, which I have to admit feels a bit small.

I recently had a line on an NS Premier (older model) in a 165. Didn't end up getting it, but I'm wondering how critical sizing is, and how much you can vary it without getting in trouble.
put in an average height, put in your weight, whatever boot size, and choose freestyle - expert, then go from there

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Be aware not all board makers measure their boards the same. As I found out recently.

Some manufacturers will measure from tip to tip. As if the board was standing on its end on the ground and you measdured to the highest point. Like measureng your own height.

Others measure along the board tip to tip including the curve. As if the board was laying on it's top with the base upper most. Measure along base from tip to tip including the nose and tail curved surfaces. It adds a few cm's.

Take a tape measure next time you are at the shop and see for yourself. A 161cm board is not always 161cm long.

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post

Hey Donutz,

Within a board model there is usually a single length that is designed for your weight and foot size (there are exceptions). What board are you riding? What is your weight and foot size?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Within a board model there is usually a single length that is designed for your weight and foot size (there are exceptions). What board are you riding? What is your weight and foot size?
I'm 5'10", 195 lbs. Street shoe is a 9.5, but my boots (Ride Jackson Boas) are 11.

I'm actually looking for a new board. Or a new used board. I was looking at an NS Premier 165 in an ad. I passed on it because of the length, but now I'm wondering if I should have gone for it. I'm just wondering how picky I should be for future reference.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

OK, there is a lot going on here. First off, the Premiere in 165 would have been a good freeride/big mountain board for you. That is what that model is all about and it is designed to be ridden on the large side. Are you looking for that style of board? What model was your old board? That will be a good reference. Shoe size 9.5 in an 11 boot. Let us know your foot measurement.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-06-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Be aware not all board makers measure their boards the same. As I found out recently.

Some manufacturers will measure from tip to tip. As if the board was standing on its end on the ground and you measdured to the highest point. Like measureng your own height.

Others measure along the board tip to tip including the curve. As if the board was laying on it's top with the base upper most. Measure along base from tip to tip including the nose and tail curved surfaces. It adds a few cm's.

Take a tape measure next time you are at the shop and see for yourself. A 161cm board is not always 161cm long.
I just learned this recently too. The battalion evil twin 151 I just got is the same exact length as the lib tech trs 154 vie been riding
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have 4 boards right now and they range from 158 - 165. I'm about 5'11" 180.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote