banana magic, custom x or custom flying v rocker - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default banana magic, custom x or custom flying v rocker

have a lil extra cash and going to get one of the 3 this weekend. for an all mountain, groomed, steeps, powder, natural jumps and very, very little park trips which one could be the closest to a do it all stick.
i ride in nor cal. will need a wide in all for my size 12 boots, looking at 158w for banana magic and 162w for the others... there is a graet deal availble to me for a used 159w custom x wide and also for a 2009 magic banana. trying not to have the great deal get in the way of picking out a new board that might be too small for me at 220

Last edited by neveo; 10-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.
neveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Custom Flying V and Banana Magic are your top two. The Custom X is really great for bombing runs and jumping, but since it is cambered, it is the worst performer of the three in powder.

I really like the Banana Magic. It's a super light board with around mid-stiff flex. Carving in this thing is just a pleasure to do. It's not the poppiest ride, but enough to keep you happy. The BTX on this feels different from their other BTX boards. I just found out from the rep that it actually has a very subtle camber in the tip and tail so that would explain the difference. Very stable too.

The Custom FlyV has a really different feel to it. Around the company here, people were split right down the middle. They either hated or loved it. The most common complaint I heard was that it was just too different. It took them out of their comfort zone. You can definitely feel the difference even as you skate to the lift line. The camber directly underfoot feels nice to me personally. It doesn't power out of turns quite as well as the Ban Magic, but it is a good enough carver. It is also a pretty fast board so bombing runs was fun. However, it was less stable than the Ban Magic on steeper runs. This could be more of a Magnetraction thing though since I rode both on an icey steep. Obviously Lib Tech's MTX tech does it's job. The Custom FlyV had more pop than the Ban Magic.

Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either board. I guess it all comes down to price and looks. Let me say this much, the Ban Magic looks friggen sweet in person.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

shout out if you get a custom x i'm looking at getting one dec/jan.
justmetomsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmetomsy View Post
shout out if you get a custom x i'm looking at getting one dec/jan.
i got a great deal on used custom x 159 wide this weekend with cartel est bindings.... i want to turn my attention and look to a second board. something with rocker and or rocker hybrid. something for big runs, powder, maybe a bit of park as well..., so back to the custom flying v rocker in a 162 wide or 158 wide, or banana magic in a 158 wide. im not sure about whether having 2 or 3 boards around the same length would be ideal.... or if im better served with a small rocker/hybrid board for getting into park and a big rocker/hybrid board like a jones flagship,custom flying v or something else for the few epic deep days i get every so often in Nor Cal. still sporting 220 lbs and size 12 boots. advanced/intermediate been boarding for 20 years
neveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What are you looking to do in the park? Jib or jumps? Or both?

I do feel the Custom Fly V is a good choice for your next stick.

If you don't plan on doing much jibbing, I'd actually like to recommend the T-Rice. This is a sick all-mountain/freestyle board. Great on jumps, super stable on steeps and ice, and a powder machine.

The Banana Magic is still a great choice too if you can stomach the price. The Magic was one of my favorite rides out of the 30 some boards that I tested. I can't describe it. For a rocker, it rides very stable and has awesome edge to edge control. It's also light and environmentally friendly!

Having the same length is fine because these are very different decks compared to the CX. Having two of the same flexing, camber profile boards would be a bad idea. Having two different flexing, camber profile boards is A.O.K.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you went with the Flying V you wouldn't need to buy a second set of bindings, just transfer them. This is one of the biggest issues people have with B (brand exclusive merchandise) but fuck, whatever. They're both awesome boards (from what I hear because I haven't ridden the V yet) and you can use this principal to your advantage because they're both ics boards
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote