Board for Niseko - NS Heritage X vs. NS Revolver - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for Niseko - NS Heritage X vs. NS Revolver

Hey guys,
I'm going to Niseko (Japan) for the ski season and since i recently broke my leg my doctor suggested I snowboard when i get there instead of ski.
I'm an intermediate skier (novice snowboarder) but Id like to get a great board as i really appreciate good gear and will hopefully advance quickly living 100m from the lifts for 3 months. Ive never been to Niseko but ive heard its pretty much a pow party. Looking for a quiver killer for all mountain. Love to mess around in the park, love carving off-piste and pow. In terms of park im more into big kickers than rails. Ive done a bit of research and I like the look of the never summer range. Price is not really an issue, will probably be paired with Rome 390 Boss or Targas. I like skis a bit short for my height.

Looking at -
159 Revolver (too much of a noodle for charging pow?)
159 Heritage X (too set back / stiff for park?) (too aggressive for riding every single day just mucking around?)
159 Legacy (in between?)

Size 12 boot, 195cm (6"5) and 80kg (180lbs)
Hit me with opinions.....

Last edited by Golliwog; 10-07-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Golliwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

i dont even wanna answer this, courtesy of my jealousy :-)
garavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have the 2011 Heritage and had a 2010 SL-R...based on what you're saying about how much park you do, maybe the Legacy (mid-wide version of the SL-R for those who don't know) is a better alternative. Really depends on how stiff you like your decks as a quiver killer, the Heritage is noticeably stiffer torsionally imo than the SL-R...the SL-R was more playful/forgiving which might be right up your alley with kickers. If you really like to muck around in the park and those kickers, the Revolver would be a great choice as well I think.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garavac View Post
i dont even wanna answer this, courtesy of my jealousy :-)
Does it soothe your jealousy at all that I'm working full time (bartender) while im there? Handily the earliest I should start is 5pm so snowboard > work > party > repeat will be 3 months of my life.

Last edited by Golliwog; 10-07-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cool when are you going to Niseko? Ill be there in mid feb, 3rd year in a row. I cant get enough of the place.

After my first trip to Niseko where I went with a regular all mountain board, for my second trip I made sure I bought a proper powder board (In my case a Burton Malolo) and it was honestly the best money ive ever spent.

While a lot of people will tell you to get a powder board for Niseko, the reality is while you are a novice then getting out in the powder they have in Japan will only really end in you falling and not being able to move. Itll be lousy until you are fairly competent.

My powder board is fantastic in the deep stuff but it would be a BAD board to learn on because it is long, directional and not as easy to turn on groomed runs.

Staying there for 3 months will be plenty of time to get the hang of it tho so go for something with a slightly tapered shape and a reasonably neutral stance to learn with and then when you start getting good enough to hit the powder stashes off in the trees or out through the gated areas, set your stance an inch or 2 further back and go freaking nuts.

If I were in your position and only wanted to get 1 board, then I would get something like a Burton Supermodel. small taper, reasonably centred stance and can be dialed back for the powder days. If you have plenty of money to spend then get an all mountain board to learn on, and then once you get a taste for the deep stuff out through the gates then buy yourself a proper powder board. Niseko is the one place on earth where you are guaranteed to get good value out of a proper powder deck. They just aren't the best things for learning on.

In my opinion tho, going to Niseko and spending time in the park is a waste, you can do that anywhere. Only Niseko gets those amounts of power. That's just me tho, I know not everybody shares my views there.

And which bar are you working at? The snow conditions there are beyond belief, you're gonna love it.

Last edited by Reede; 10-07-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Got a phone interview with Nisade (for the vale or bunker) next week and a few other jobs lined up if that falls through. However id LOVE to work at Wild Bills, im a fairly experienced bartender and will hopefully hear from them soon. Can only hope. Thanks for the advice, really great that you have first hand experience there, will look into that style of board.

EDIT: I leave for Tokyo from Brisbane, Australia on the 25th of November, back on the 24th of Feb.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Not a big fan of Wild Bills, I always feel threatened when I go there. It seems to attract some of the less desirable patrons in my opinion I know the ladies tend to avoid it as well. That's just my experience as a patron anyway, it's one of the bigger and better known places in town so working there would be a bit more like at home, most other joints are so small you can barely move in them =)

Looks like ill be there from the 10th to the 20th of Feb or thereabouts, dates are still to be confirmed.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

ive also applied to burunba, splash and herbies.
Where is a nice place to work? I have to spend a lot of time there after all.....
Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldnt have a clue, ive only holidayed there, never worked.

A couple of bars that i've really liked are J Bar, Fridge bar, and one that I cant remember the name of that's right at the base of the main park on the front Hirafu Valley.... Cant remember the name, get me a map and ill point it out. I like the small ones tho, I think they are much nicer environments to be in than the large pub scene we have in Australia.

There are some awesome Japanese restaurant/bars as well, the best of which I think is A-Bu-Cha but i've only seen Japanese people working there so not sure about your chances with them =)

Go for the place that has the most flexible working arrangement, you're there for the snow after all. If you are stuck in a bar 6 days/nights a week then youll be kicking yourself every time it dumps, which in Niseko, is nearly every day.

Last edited by Reede; 10-07-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golliwog View Post
ive also applied to burunba, splash and herbies.
Where is a nice place to work? I have to spend a lot of time there after all.....
Hey Mate, I'm off to Niseko for the season as well ( my 8th there),
Burunba and Splash are pretty much all Japanese staff, Unless you speak fluent japanese, I'm not too sure of your chances of getting work there. Herbies (herpies) just opened last season and is Australian owned so you might have more chance of employment there. Vale is going to attract the upperclass patrons. So depends on who you want to deal with. If you want to deal with the your regular punters, get work at wild bills and Herbies and the apre bar. Wild Bills is a little rough but I do know that a fair few locals hang out there. (They have just changed management so I can't comment on the staff working there this season)

In my opinion, the size of the board that you are looking for is on the shorter side for your height and weight, and snow conditions.
Its good that you are going early in the season as there will be plenty of work to be found.

Last edited by SiKBOY; 10-07-2010 at 11:58 PM.
SiKBOY is offline   Reply With Quote