Need some advice on a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Need some advice on a new board

Hey guys, been lurking for a while and finally signed up. I was hoping to get some helping picking a good board as I have spent the last 3 months researching and I know research can only get me so far.

Anyways, I've been boarding for about 3 years, not great but not a beginner (staring in your early 20's is a benefit to some extent I guess). Really hoping to buy my own equipment for this season. I haven't narrowed it down to any boards, but I was reading all the posts and looking at the NS boards and was leaning in that direction. Could use some input.

My info:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 190
Boot: 11
Budget would probably be up to a NS Raptor price range

Thanks for the input, really looking forward to being on this site 24/7 (work permitting)
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What is your riding style?
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Freeride

Last season after some drinks a bunch of my friends convinced me I was good enough for some park, lets just say it did not end well.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well Raptor would be the tits if you are railing back country lines, Premiere is another option that is good for freeride. I would maybe get the Heritage though if you were going to mostly freeride, hit groomers and maybe a park feature once in a great while.

I rock the SL for my all mountain slayer, I like slightly softer boards as well but the Heritage is a fun board that many use for their all mountain stick.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I really like the Raptor but evo suggests the ability level is intermediate to advanced. Not that I'm scared of a challenge, just don't want to get ahead of myself by using a board that beyond my skill level.

What size do you think I should go for if I do end up getting the raptor?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

They say that because it is a very stiff board. Stiffer boards allow for less user error because they are very responsive and newer riders tend to need that softer, more forgiving board to learn on.

What are your binding angles? You may need the wide version
Old 10-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

If your worried about riding a pretty specific niche advanced board, not totally sure if your gonna want the Raptor. The Raptor is more of a mach-speed groomer/powder/backcountry type of board. Basically the type of board hardcore freeriders want when they get really good.

I think you would be much better off with a Heritage because it will be easier to maneuver and ride at your ability level. The Heritage will do everything for you on the mountain but will more then anything be a super solid freeriding stick with some playfulness.

Sizewise, I would probably go with a 158-160. At that size of board, I'm not sure if your going to have boot issues or not, since 11 is kinda the borderline between when people get Wide boards.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for the input. Gonna try and hit some shops this weekend to check out the heritage x and the F1. With that settled, I am just hoping the snow comes soon in the northeast, all these La Nina predictions are bugging me out.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I find the stiffy NS boards are solid, but if you are resort riding they get a little dull. Difficult to mess around on them. They are killer at powder, BC etc.

I would second going with the heritage. Much more playful for resorts.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I was really hoping to get a look at the board but no one in the NYC area has it so I can't decide between a Heritage or the Heritage X.

Quick question, is the F1 as stiff as the raptor and is there any advantage the heritage has over the F1?

Thanks again for all the help guys.