New To Boarding - Help Please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New To Boarding - Help Please

Hi there, im Mark.

im 19 years old,
5'8,
145-150 pounds,
Size 9 Skate shoe,

I ride in northern ontario canada.

So to the question, alright guys.. im pretty new to boarding. I can carve down the hill without eating $hit but this is going to be my first year hitting the park! So I WILL still be riding the hill a little bit but as I progress I hope to make my main focus the park. Therefor I was wondering on some gear advice guys, considering I cant decide on a board boots or bindings haha.

For Board I want to make my limit around 500 canadian.

I am guessign I need around a 150CM

Some boards ive had some intrest in:

Capia Stairmaster Extreme (you know the one with the panda in a bikini)
Burton Dominan

Now, I dont mind buying online, but the advantage to the Capita Stairmster Extreme, is that its at a local shop right now.

Bindings, I guess around 250?

I basicly can't decide between the Cartels
&
Rome 390's. Ive heard NOTHING but good reviews on the Rome 390's.

also note that both these iteams are at two different local shops right now so thats a pluss

Boots.. hell I dont know.. as minimum as possible but with still good gear kinda deal yah know?

Boots, all ive seen at the local store is like some moto's and some hails. Also. I read online your supposed to buy a size under our shoe shize, and then when I went to my local shop they said to buy one size up.. so im a little confused...

All in all, im brand new to jibing and parking and I would like to know what you guys think haha, obv the less money the better, but whats some solid gear you guys would reccomend?

Thanks a lot for your help Gents and Ladis, and I look forward to getting some replys!
Calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For bindings go with the 390s. You can really dial those things in.

On Boots you need to buy what fits you, but absolutely under no fucking circumstance should you ever buy a boot that is one size to big. That is just asinine and the kid that told you that should be slapped.

Try on lots of boots, when you stand up your toe should just be right at the end of the toe box, but not painful. The reason you do this is because that cushioning (especially if you buy Burton boots) is going to pack out fast, and then your boots become to big. When you have big boots, you get heel lift and that is the worst thing in the entire world. I would always buy boots first with the majority of your money then go from there. They are the most critical aspect of the entire setup.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

hmm alright, I think its a good idea to go with boots first too considering im on the boarder line of being M/L in binding size so im thinking boots then buy my rome 390's then go from there to getting a board. Any reccomdenations on a board?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rome Artifact rocker
NS Evo
WWW if you want a noodle
Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thats funny, I was actuley just looking at a NS Evo, im loving the 3 year warrinty. Quick question, what excatly is "rocker" and "camber" also what is "sno-glow" im assuming "sno-glow" is just that neon on the bottom that kind of gives the board a little glow? ive seena couple boards like that at the hill.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
Thats funny, I was actuley just looking at a NS Evo, im loving the 3 year warrinty. Quick question, what excatly is "rocker" and "camber" also what is "sno-glow" im assuming "sno-glow" is just that neon on the bottom that kind of gives the board a little glow? ive seena couple boards like that at the hill.
There are tons of articles that discuss rocker and camber and what it means for the rider. Try googling for an article, it takes a bit to type out the entire synopsis.

Sno glow is just a bright green or pink base that reflects off of the snow when you carve. Neat, but only an aesthetic.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

sorry for so many questions haha, but if you could choose between a Stairmaster Extreme or a NS Evo... what would be the better board for me?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Rocker and camber explained
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories Explained
Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

oh wow thanks a lot. That really explained it to me. I cant decide between Stairmaster Extreme or the NS EVO.

Same price cept the Stairmaster extreme is at a shop localy so it will end up being cheaper due to not paying shipping.

I know cosmeitcs isnt what you should really decide on a board for, but I DO like the Stairmaster Extreme a hell of a lot more.

NS Evo has a longer warrenty too.

hmm the both have pro's... not quite sure.. Anyone got any ideas between

Never Summer Evo

or

Capita Stairmaster Extreme
Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

its getto but call in to the The-House and tell them what you just told use. You might get someone on the phone thats worth a dang.

IMO startsmall and goo up. If you are just straring out then you going to eat a lot. So i would get a cheap stick. When you can shred the heck out of it get you a better one. No need in droppin a ton of cash only to bash a new stick
Burton boots
2007 CBR600RR (custom green and flat black everything)
1991 Ford Festiva 350$ (runs like a champ)
Seebring drop top (wifes car)
mikemounlio is offline   Reply With Quote