About Burton boards... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Joao Ilheu

Default About Burton boards...

I was told Burton boards are somehow overrated... I was told they don't last long. Is it true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
libtech

So I've been snowboarding for about 6 years. Burton used to make a nice board but lately they have been more concerned with makeing money then a good board. For example every Burton board has a dimond shaped screw pattern for the bindings, which forces you to buy their bindings. I personally think theeir boards are way to overpriced.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

No. Neither is true.

Burton makes high-end and low-end stuff, like every other company. You get what you pay for. Burton is the "wal-mart" of the snowboard world. Hence, other company's make fun of them, and the cool-kids at the mountain like to bash them b/c they are "corporate." Note, however, that Burton is privatlly owned company, and is not a subsidary of a large ski company like other "cool" snowboard brands are. Often the people who say Burton sucks have never ridden their boards, or if they have, are just looking for a reason to justify a pre-exisitng idea they had about the company. Think about it, if Burton's board fell apart, they would not be one of the oldest, and the biggest, brand in the snowboard industry. People won't by crap once the word gets out (i.e. chinese toys, at the moment).

All this said, there are PLENTY of smaller companys that make boards that are just as good, or better, than Burton's boards. Never Summer is a good example. They are made in the USA, have the longest warranty in the industry, and only make 13 different decks (Burton makes like 40 or something), and they keep a low-profile. However, since Burton is HUGE, they are also able to do socially minded stuff like their CHILL programm that a smaller company would never be able to do for financial reasons.

The point is, there are a lot of considerations about what makes a "good" or a "bad" snowboard, or a snowboard company for that matter. Do your own research, and get something that resonates with your own sense of Being. Most of all, don't get caught up in the rumor-mill about who is, or is not, a good company.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech View Post
I personally think theeir boards are way to overpriced.
I have seen this claim made over, and over again, and I am calling Bullsh|t on it.
A quick survey of dogfunk.com, a leading snowboard site easilly shows this this argument has no merrit. Below is a quick summation of common boards, by common manufacturs, and their MSRP at Dogfunk: (Note, I am not inclding the very high-end, or low-end decks)

GNU

Kass: $540
Hampus: $500
Street: $320

RIDE
Concept: $750
Society: $500
Havoc: $400
Kink: $340

LIB TECH
Drkstar: $600
Travis: $490
Youthinasia: $380
McKink: $460

NEVER SUMMER

Heritage: $520
SL: $500
Evo: $500
System: $380

ROME:

Design: $550
Anthem: $500
Agent: $470

BURTON:

Custom X: $650
Custom: $500
White: $500
Air: $400
Dom: $380
Blunt: $340

I'm sorry, but Burton falls squarly within in the price range of every other company on the market. Thus, there is no reasonable basis, or foundtaion, for any claim or merrit that Burton's boards are overpriced.

-The White Rose Society

Old 01-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
PapaWood

That is just the common usual bull shit lies that kids make cus they think bashing burton will make them sound cool and more experienced. They unquestionably make some of the best snowboard products on the market. I have ridden a shit load of their boards and have always gotten a high quality product.

That being said, there are a handful of other equally quality boards out there. As a result of Burtons shit costing the same as these other company's, I would have to say the people who claim that burton stuff is overpriced should piss off.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
THE OFF PHISTE WHORE

burton just bought a surfing company also, so watch out what comes out next year
Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
PapaWood

Wow they own all kinds of shit now. Who'd they buy out?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the dominant is the best park board ive ever ridden. made snowboarding feel like skateboarding

but burtons do have a reputation for breaking easily. and ive broken quite a few. but their warranty department is fantastic.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrwilco View Post
the dominant is the best park board ive ever ridden.
Next to the Rome Artifact, the Dominant is one of the ugliest boards on the market. Skateboarding had some classic graphics in the 1980's, but going for the Vision look with the new-wave-style ripped grip-tape was NOT one of them. I know graphics don't "matter" on a deck, but if I look down, and want to vomit by what I see, its just going to put me in a less-than-ideal mindset (and the mental game is the biggest part to most sports).

-The White Rose Society

Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hey man, graphics dont mean shit to me. if i hate the topsheet, ill cover it in stickers. sure the doms top is ugly, bit in person it isnt as flamboyant as in pics, and it performs really well. ive yet to ride another park board that i feel as comfortable on.

whats so ugly about the artifact? i think its a clever play on society/joke about stuff. funny thing is i have both of those boards haha, but ive been riding artifacts since they came out and got this years as a warranty replacement on my last seasons. my dom isnt pink, its the 154 white one thank god.

i had last years dom, which i think is much uglier than this seasons though. besides graphics, the 3 hole pattern is pretty bogus as well. but whatever

Last edited by rgrwilco; 01-16-2008 at 10:08 PM.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote