159 NS Raptor too big for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 159 NS Raptor too big for me?

Hey there,

I've read all of the reviews for the new NS Raptor and most people are saying its extremely light compared to most boards (not just NS ones which are heavier) and rides shorter than its length. I would like to know if you guys think a 159cm would be right for me. I am 5'10 128 lbs and have ridden a NS Heritage 158cm (the heavier 2006 version) for the past 3 seasons. Would the raptor give me any trouble given its increased length and stiffness? Is it easier to turn than a heritage? I am the free-riding type who does jumps maybe 10% of the time and no park. How hard would it be to spin the raptor (180 or 360)? Thanks.
vslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like you need to be looking into the new Heritage and not the Raptor...

A 159 is pretty large for your weight though. I've got a 163 Heritage in the mail and I weigh around 200, and it's going to be my do everything stick. I would've gotten a 161 but it's either a 159 or 163.

I would say you shouldn't step over a 157 unless you find some good powder all the time, even then a 157 is on the big size.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah, my weight says i should be on like a 153. But I've been riding a 158 with no problems for awhile so I figure why not the raptor its just 1 cm more,and suits my riding style alot more. I had concerns about my ability to turn it on a dime, but i thought the new rocker would help with that.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your saying your riding style is. Do you just like bombing groomers, steeps and POW?

I'm not saying that's all the Raptor can do good but that's where it shines.

Anyways, honestly here's my opinion on length... You adjust.

You can adjust to a longer board but a shorter board will not adjust and start carrying you thru POW any better...

You know how you ride and such, and if you feel stepping up a tiny bit won't hurt, then by all means step up. It's about what you want ya know.

It's not going to make or break you to take a little step up but I would rather see you step down personally. Getting the smallest board possible that does everything you want is the funnest imo.. Shorter sticks are def more fun I think
Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. Basically I just do steeps, trees, and if I am on groomers, I tend to just go as fast as possible maybe hitting a few straight airs. Like I said, I dont do park however I would like to learn how to do 360s at some point (which was difficult on the heritage). Honestly I knew the raptor was fitted for my riding style but I thought they were gonna make a 156 , which would have been great. Any comment on the ability of the raptor to make quick turns (short radius)? Also does anyone know exactly how light it is? Thanks for the advice milo
Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Since you already ride a 158 for the last 3 seasons you should be fine on the 159 Raptor(smallest size for Raptor). The newer tech will make it a bit easier to turn then what you are used too. I say go for it.

Really is up to you though. The sizing methods are really just guidelines and you already ride a longer board you should be fine.

Edit- If you want to go smaller the Premier F1 would fit the bill for what you are looking for and comes in a 157.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop

Last edited by B.Gilly; 10-09-2010 at 11:27 PM.
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Sounds like you need to be looking into the new Heritage and not the Raptor...

A 159 is pretty large for your weight though. I've got a 163 Heritage in the mail and I weigh around 200, and it's going to be my do everything stick. I would've gotten a 161 but it's either a 159 or 163.

I would say you shouldn't step over a 157 unless you find some good powder all the time, even then a 157 is on the big size.
What's your boot size? I am about to order a heritage as well and can't decide between a wide or a regular. I'm about 190 and a size 11 boot.
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

As with any new board (regardless of size) once you get used to it, it'll be fine. 1cm is not a dealbreaker.

Official Gear List: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/blo...gear-list.html
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks View Post
What's your boot size? I am about to order a heritage as well and can't decide between a wide or a regular. I'm about 190 and a size 11 boot.
You should be fine on a regular 158-160. The Heritage isn't a super narrow regular width board luckily
Old 10-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Gilly View Post
Since you already ride a 158 for the last 3 seasons you should be fine on the 159 Raptor(smallest size for Raptor). The newer tech will make it a bit easier to turn then what you are used too. I say go for it.

Really is up to you though. The sizing methods are really just guidelines and you already ride a longer board you should be fine.

Edit- If you want to go smaller the Premier F1 would fit the bill for what you are looking for and comes in a 157.
Well I was avoiding the premier b/c its so damn heavy and the reviews for the raptor made it look more promising.