First Boarding Gear - Need Some Help Please (Did research) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Boarding Gear - Need Some Help Please (Did research)

Hi everyone!

First off, I love this site!

Secondly, I know I had another thread made but I did a lot more research since then and have a bettr idea of what I want...but still need help. And that thread no one was responding to after

Thirdly, I've done my fair bit of research and was hoping to get some 2nd opinions...or 3rds, or w.e.

So to get right to it...

Basic info about me
I am:
5' 8" ft
~150lbs
boot size: 9 - 10 US (I don't know the exact size cause whenever I went boarding, I seem to be fitting different sizes though majority of them are Burtons)
beginner - intermediate (gone about 4-5x in the last year and 3-4x since like gr8 to last year)
planning on perfecting carving, learning to ride switch, and start doing some basic tricks on the GROOMED slopes.
I WANT to ride the park after some time but don't see myself being able to do it this year.

From the research I've done...here is some info that I feel would help with selecting my gear. Also the list underneath each category are the boards I've jot down that I think may be a decent fit for me?:

Total Budget: Hopefully no more than $600CAD...not inc. helmet...but hopefully it does

Board: < $300CAD, ideally
med flex
153-155 (ideally...though 156 is OK I guess)
freestyle/free-ride(all mountain)
camber/zero camber/jib rocker/all mt. freestyle rocker (narrowed it down to those...which ever is best suited for me...am a little unsure which is best for me since I'm progressing and thinking long term)

The list in no particular order:
Sierra Reverse Crew Snowboard 2010 - All Mountain - $299.98CAD
Sierra Team Snowboard 2010 - All Mountain - $249.50CAD
Sierra Crew Snowboard 2010 - All Mountain - $249.98CAD
Never Summer Circuit Snowboard 2011 - Freestyle - $499.99US?
Technine Men's Suerte Snowboard - All Mountain - $249.95US?
Burton Deuce Snowboard - All Mt. / Freestyle - ~$249.95US?
Salomon Ace Magnum Snowboard 2009-10 - All Mt. / Freestyle - $210.00US?
Atomic Hatchet 08/09 or 09/10 - Freestyle - ~>$200

Bindings: < $150CAD, ideally
med flex
M or M/L since I'm a 9-10US boot size.
High back, and if it's within budget, easy of entry feature. Oh, some cushioning and fulltray grip cover thing, comfy.

The list in the order I THINK is best for me?
Rome 390 Boss Snowboard Bindings 2011 - All Mountain – M/L or L/XL - $230.00CAD
Rome 390 Snowboard Bindings 2011 - All Mountain - M/L or L/XL - $210.00CAD
Union Force Snowboard Bindings 2011 - All Mt. / Freestyle - M/L - $199.00CAD
Burton Triad 2010 - All Mt. / Freestyle? - M - $197.97CAD
Burton Cartel Snowboard Bindings 2010 - All Mountain - M - $114.98CAD
Rome Shift - Freeride - M - $83.99CAD
Burton Mission Snowboard Bindings 2010 - All Mountain – M -$94.98CAD

Boots: < $140CAD, ideally
med flex again (if it exists)
9-10US boot size.
Not too picky so long as it's comfy and there's no heel lift, etc (but of course that's on me when I try).
Want one that's durable, comfy features, looks nice.

The list in no particular order:
Burton Invader Snowboard Boot – freestyle – soft flex - $129.95CAD?
Forum Destroyer Snowboard Boots 2008 – freestyle – med flex - $100.00
Burton Ion Snowboard Boots 2010 – all mountain? – stiff - $199.98CAD
Salomon Malamute Snowboard Boots 2010 – freeride – mid/stiff - $160.00CAD (may be a little too stiff for me)

and oh yea, I need a helmet. Just one that's reliable and is less than $100 HAHA if at all possible.

Btw the lists...take them with a grain of salt (always wanted to use that phrase but unsure if I used it correctly). These are just items I feel would be good for me but if anyone has suggestions (please do) for a replacement or w.e. that's cheaper or better, etc, please feel free to let me know! Like if there's a binding that's similar in quality and feature and hopefully look, to the Rome 390 2011 but is like half the price or something, that's good! lol

So I hope you guys/girls can help me out In a kind of a bind. And I"m doing all this research because there's a snowboard show where I am next week and I want to have a list of the potentials so I can try and see if I can get similar or the same things at the show and if not, I always can get it online.

I hope this is enough to paint a picture of the set I want.

Thank you all in advance for your time and efforts!! Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Last edited by 3py0n; 10-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.
3py0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
oxi

Looks like a good list and you've done all your research, I was in a similar bind last year and kind of just went with the best deals I could find. Ended up getting an Atomic Hatchet and Ride SPIs for just under 300USD. You're in TO then? My suggestion would be to go to the skishow and try to find the best deals and if it's still more $$ then find them online. I think somebody posted about a pretty cheap PBJ recently if you can find that. That and the Hatchet are the two other boards I think you can add to that list. Never been to the skishow though, so I don't know what kind of stock or how cheap the stuff there will be. Anyway, if you're going on Sunday I might see you there
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

haha nah, Sunday's too late!! All the sizes will be taken lol and I'm in the main/most common size bracket so that doesn't help either.

I assume yours was the 08/09 version? or was it the 09/10 version? lol I just checked out both and even the 11 version and it seems pretty tight. Assuming it's freestyle based ya? And how's the effective edge and how's it hold up on groomers? At say...Blue Mountain haha I read that though it's flex is rather soft (couldn't find a value) it holds well when carving. I'm mainly concerned with the carving aspect as I'm still trying to perfect it so I can speed check and what not and start riding switch and even try butters. Not going to the park real soon but I do plan to haha (even though I didn't think I would).

This DEFINITELY is going on my list. Hearing many good things about the Atomic Hatchet. Where did you get it btw? I only found one site: Atomic Hatchet Snowboard 08/09 - Powder Tools Snowboard Shop and I kinda wanna see if I can get it from a Canadian site so I don't got to pay customs and what not.

As for the SPIs, I haven't found a site which sold the older models for cheap I can only find 2010, 2011 models and those run for 250+ a pop!! But I've read up on them and they seem pretty dece. They say it's stiff and responsive which is okay, but I think med flex would be better for me? I'm still unsure at this point. Still a noob when it comes to boarding gear but trying my best.

Any suggestions or links bro?

And what about boots? :O I had someone suggest to me to just get any burton boot that was comfy and aesthetically pleasing lol

Thanks for being the first to reply haha and read through the mountain of text

Last edited by 3py0n; 10-10-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
oxi

Ya mine's 08/09, good for all-mountain imo, went to tremblant with it last year and it was fine going down the blacks there. Tried a few jumps (dunno the sizes, but they were small) and it held it's own. I don't know if it's the 2.5degree bevel or not (it's probably just cuz I'm a noob) but the hold on ice was probably worse than the other boards on your list. I got mine from evogear and went down to the US to bring it across the border.

The bindings I got basically cuz they were decent and cheap . But if I had to choose, probably go with Rome 390s or Union Forces... they seem to be the only two bindings recommended on this forum and are able to do everything.

Boots.. you really just have to try them on and see what fits your foot best, don't stick to one brand. I'm sure every brand makes a boot that's at least decent to look at.

EDIT: btw, i'm ~140lbs and ride the 153 hatchet, don't find it super flexy. but my buddy is ~160 and found it pretty soft so hopefully gives you an idea

Last edited by oxi; 10-10-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

ahhh thanks for the update.

Hold on ice...you referring to build up of snow or the way it carves and slices through icy snow/conditions?

And yea the Rome 390s or Union Forces are of course great but way too costly! They cost almost or more than a board...depending on which board I get...sigh

And if I go to the snowboard show, I don't want to be persuaded so easily by a salesman who made a 5min pitch after I did so much reserach lol know what i mean? I want like things that'll fit me the best and what not. I wanted to go to the boarding show with a checklist/list of items that suit me and hopefully either find them there OR find ones that are similar in build, feature, etc but with a cheaper price tag.

I still want to narrow down my boards and bindings list a bit so I have a more concrete idea as to what to get. But I hope what I said makes sense haha

And yea I think it's due to the weight. If I were to get the Hatchet and they had 154, I'd probably get that. Or maybe even 155...I think 153 may be a little too small for me cause I'm looking for a board that can work well all mountain/free ride and I want to be able to control it well haha and I think the 153 may be too flexy or w.e. for me. If that makes sense lol

Ugh you got it in the US? darn it...was hoping you got it online and what not.

edit: I guess I could go for the 390s or Unions IF the I get the boots and/or board for cheaper than the expected lol

But I hear that say you're choosing between 2 boards that are about $30-50 difference, or a pair of bindings that's $30-50 difference, it's better to put more money into the bindings than the board because the difference isn't all that great compared to bindings. Is that true? :O
Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3py0n View Post
ahhh thanks for the update.

Hold on ice...you referring to build up of snow or the way it carves and slices through icy snow/conditions?

And yea the Rome 390s or Union Forces are of course great but way too costly! They cost almost or more than a board...depending on which board I get...sigh

And if I go to the snowboard show, I don't want to be persuaded so easily by a salesman who made a 5min pitch after I did so much reserach lol know what i mean? I want like things that'll fit me the best and what not. I wanted to go to the boarding show with a checklist/list of items that suit me and hopefully either find them there OR find ones that are similar in build, feature, etc but with a cheaper price tag.

I still want to narrow down my boards and bindings list a bit so I have a more concrete idea as to what to get. But I hope what I said makes sense haha

And yea I think it's due to the weight. If I were to get the Hatchet and they had 154, I'd probably get that. Or maybe even 155...I think 153 may be a little too small for me cause I'm looking for a board that can work well all mountain/free ride and I want to be able to control it well haha and I think the 153 may be too flexy or w.e. for me. If that makes sense lol

Ugh you got it in the US? darn it...was hoping you got it online and what not.

edit: I guess I could go for the 390s or Unions IF the I get the boots and/or board for cheaper than the expected lol

But I hear that say you're choosing between 2 boards that are about $30-50 difference, or a pair of bindings that's $30-50 difference, it's better to put more money into the bindings than the board because the difference isn't all that great compared to bindings. Is that true? :O
dude if you've done your research then when you go to the show don't let the salesman pitch to you. You know what you're looking for and you've got the cash for it. (BRING CASH lol)

Now when you pick up something that you know you want just go up to the guy running the booth and haggle with him. The guys at the show want to sell ALL the stuff they brought. It costs them money to bring it all and take it all back with them.

BTW you in the GTA?? cause I'm hitting up the show on thursday :P

O and one more thing. THE SKI SWAP. There is a big ski and snowboard swap at the show so you can some barely used gear for real cheap.
Jud_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud_X View Post
dude if you've done your research then when you go to the show don't let the salesman pitch to you. You know what you're looking for and you've got the cash for it. (BRING CASH lol)

Now when you pick up something that you know you want just go up to the guy running the booth and haggle with him. The guys at the show want to sell ALL the stuff they brought. It costs them money to bring it all and take it all back with them.

BTW you in the GTA?? cause I'm hitting up the show on thursday :P

O and one more thing. THE SKI SWAP. There is a big ski and snowboard swap at the show so you can some barely used gear for real cheap.
Researching is a great way to start looking for a new ride but IMO the only way to know what you really want is to get that board under your feet and go for a slide.

Buying your gear through reading is like buying a new car by reading all the reviews and magazines without even test driving it. I know I wouldn't do that if I were throwing down hard earned money.

Go out and demo the boards that have made your short list and don't worry what the reviews say or what the "pro's" say.

Again with the bindings, don't buy a set until you have test fitted them or test rode them. You might find that the bindings you want don't fit your boot properly, the straps may be uncomfortable or you might have some pressure points etc. Again, you will only find these things out when you go for a ride on them.

Good luck!
SiKBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
oxi

I mean when trying to carve on ice it doesn't hold an edge very well, which is true for probably any board, but imo the hatchet still isn't as good as other boards in this department.

Don't really know much about bindings except it seems to me like you should not go for the cheapest binding any company has to offer, so I guess you should spend that extra on bindings if it's an upgrade from the cheapest option.

While I agree with trying out all the gear you want before you buy it, don't think this option is available for everybody, especially when you're trying to look for last years or cheap boards.

On a side note, have you been to the skishow before? Do you think there will be anything left by Sunday? Mainly my gf wants to go find new boots.. so I'm hoping there won't be too many people looking at those.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fantastic, loving the help so far.

First off, ideally I'd like to go on Thursday. I either go with one of my buddies whose knowledge isn't all that great or I wait and go with another friend who's more seasoned...though again I don't know how into the sport he is. However he wants to go on a Saturday or something and I'm afraid all the sizes, etc will be gone.

And I can't think of a chance for me to try out the items I want aside form the boots. I mean who/where do they allow you to go and say, oh I wanna try board X with bindings Y? The ski resorts, etc only have a limited amount and I gotta wait till AFTER the show to do that...so no way.

As for the ski/snow swap. I read about that but you never know how they handled the board and how they rode it, etc and if there's internal damage so i'd prefer to get a new one tbh.

And with the pitching thing, it's just that I'm open to ideas and like anything with the criteria I want that's good value and reliable I don't mind. I dont need a certain board or binding, so long as the one I opt for is good, etc. does that make sense? lol

Also no I haven't been to the skishow before but I hear it's insanely busy.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I saw someone mention the Atomic Hatchet. I've been riding mine for the past 4 years and I love it. It really will do everything you want, it's rated as a freestyle/park sort of board but I've pretty much just used it for freeriding and mountain freestyle. It may not have all the tech the more expensive stuff does, but at your skill level that stuff is all mumbo-jumbo, you won't know the difference. You can probably find a 2010 one for pretty cheap.

At your price range as well, I would check out a 2010 NeverSummer Circuit. Here's a link to some pretty cheap ones.

Never Summer Snowboard Circuit - R Freestyle NEW 2010\

Binding wise, see if you can't pick up a pair of 2010 Rome 390's. I got mine for $160, and I've seen them as cheap as $145.

Last edited by HoboMaster; 10-10-2010 at 07:31 PM.
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote