First Freestyle Board (size?) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Freestyle Board (size?)

Hey guys, I know you hate these questions with a passion but let's face it, learning from more experienced people rather than making expensive mistakes is great!

I'm 5'10 and 160 lbs and I've been primarily a carving-style rider. I currently ride a 158cm board (freeride/stiff). Probably a little too big for me? (btw, this was my first board)

Well this season I want to get a board that I can use all mountain (including a little park). The riding style I want to do this season is about 60% carving, 40% park (some jibs, some occasional buttering, but mainly jumps). I'm thinking I should go with a 154-155? Or should I go smaller?

Thanks!
-Mike

Last edited by RiceyHot; 10-10-2010 at 08:36 AM.
RiceyHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
oxi

What board are you using now? 154 sounds about right, you can probably go even smaller and use it just as a park board and your board now as the allmountain.
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxi View Post
What board are you using now? 154 sounds about right, you can probably go even smaller and use it just as a park board and your board now as the allmountain.
My current board is a Forum Recon (158cm).
It's been a great carving board to learn on, and if it's over sized for me I can't really tell.

For my next board I'd like it to be all mountain so that I can still do some decent carving outside of the park when I want to. (I'm looking for a board with BTX/MTX for this reason.) So a 154 would be decent for me then? Cool. I actually found a good deal on a 155 board that I like...I may just have to snatch it up. I know it's always better if you don't compromise when it comes to boards (i.e. getting a shorter, more flexible board for park), but I don't think I will ever go out and do only park an entire day. I'd like a board that is decent at doing a little bit of both (park/freeride).

(Edited original post: my mistake, my current board is 158cm.)

Last edited by RiceyHot; 10-10-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
oxi

Ya 155 should work fine for you, but the stiffness of the board obviously affects what you can do with it too. If you're mainly into carving and jumps just make sure it's not a noodle you're getting.
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What is your foot size?

Thanks.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

NeverSummer SL 153-155

Bit pricey but worth it.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
What is your foot size?

Thanks.
Size 10.

And I always hear great things about NS.
I am trying to keep the price around $300-$350 though.
I'll look into NS though...maybe find a good deal.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

anywhere from 154-156 would be ideal. You're almost the same specs as I and that's definitely in the range I always look for when it comes to my all-mount boards.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceyHot View Post
Size 10.
Got it. The Recon is designed to be a freestyle shape that can cross over into freeride. It is already a model that is designed to be on the stiffer side (tail) for what it is. The 158 is was designed for riders 150-210+ lbs, while the 156 and 153 are more ceneterred on your weight. While the 158 was workable for you, the 156 would have been the perfect match in that model (and the 153 would have been a better second choice).

Moving forward, the NS SL that was suggested above will be a strong choice (go with 155, in that model 153 will be too narrow). Also, throw into the mix a Bataleon Fun Kink 157. That will be an unreal choice for you.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-10-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Got it. The Recon is designed to be a freestyle shape that can cross over into freeride. It is already a model that is designed to be on the stiffer side (tail) for what it is. The 158 is was designed for riders 150-210+ lbs, while the 156 and 153 are more ceneterred on your weight. While the 158 was workable for you, the 156 would have been the perfect match in that model (and the 153 would have been a better second choice).

Moving forward, the NS SL that was suggested above will be a strong choice (go with 155, in that model 153 will be too narrow). Also, throw into the mix a Bataleon Fun Kink 157. That will be an unreal choice for you.
Ahh, I see...good info. Well, many people have suggest the NS SL to me...but damn, the cheapest I can find it is $510 shipped - ouch!

The Bataleon Fun Kink is much more in my price range. I found it in 157cm brand new for $250 shipped. I don't know much about the board though so I'll have to do some more research. I did notice though that the listed flex rating for the 157 is 3.5 (out of 10)...pretty soft for an all-mountain board, no? Looks like it's geared more towards park.

What do you guys think about GNU's sticks? I was looking into the Danny Kass, Carbon Credit Series, and Carbon High Beam. I guess I'm kinda biased towards BTX/MTX technology...I really wanna try one of these boards. I've heard good things about GNU in general, but not any specifics on these boards.

Last edited by RiceyHot; 10-10-2010 at 08:18 PM.