Lib Tech T.Rice C2BTX v.s Lib Tech TRS C2BTX v.s Ride Machete ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech T.Rice C2BTX v.s Lib Tech TRS C2BTX v.s Ride Machete ?

Hey guys. So I'm looking to get a good all-around board that can handle pow, groomed slopes, ice and park. I pretty much narrowed it down to the Lib Tech T.Rice C2BTX, the Lib Tech TRS C2BTX, and the Ride Machete, all 2011 models. There's 100-120 dollar difference between the Lib Techs and the cheaper Ride Machete. I've heard the Machete is a great board and can handle pretty much everything. However, I am attracted to the rocker/camber combo featured on both the lib techs. I'm 6'1, 150pounds, and I love to bomb down on powder days, and love to cruise/carve/hit the park on groomed days. What do you guys recommend ? Should I spent the extra 100 and get one of the lib techs, or should I stick with the Ride Machete ? My other questions is, do the 2 libtechs I mentioned offer wider models as I wear size 13 boots ?
FeelTheBeaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Lib Tech T-Rice 161.5 is basically a wide board. That will be the size for you. However, it's going to ride pretty stiff for your weight and it's already a stiff board. It is a do all board though (except that it's not the best for jibs).

The TRS is out of the question for you. Only their 167 will fit your size 13 and that is way too long for your weight.

The Machete is a great all-around board. It is a higher end medium flex (meaning it is on stiffer side of medium flex spectrum) board. However, bombing down icey steeps isn't its strong suit. It is a great powder board though so if you are bombing down powdery slopes, then it will be great.

The Machete is also the best park board out of the two Lib Techs.

There is a problem though. The smallest wide the Machete comes in is a 157w. You are right at the beginning of the weight scale. Which actually might be good for you since it will flex a little more stiffer for you which equals more stability. Another problem is that depending on your stance angles, you might have a bit more overhang that normal. The Machete is a naturally more narrow board and you have big feet.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
The Lib Tech T-Rice 161.5 is basically a wide board. That will be the size for you. However, it's going to ride pretty stiff for your weight and it's already a stiff board. It is a do all board though (except that it's not the best for jibs).

The TRS is out of the question for you. Only their 167 will fit your size 13 and that is way too long for your weight.

The Machete is a great all-around board. It is a higher end medium flex (meaning it is on stiffer side of medium flex spectrum) board. However, bombing down icey steeps isn't its strong suit. It is a great powder board though so if you are bombing down powdery slopes, then it will be great.

The Machete is also the best park board out of the two Lib Techs.

There is a problem though. The smallest wide the Machete comes in is a 157w. You are right at the beginning of the weight scale. Which actually might be good for you since it will flex a little more stiffer for you which equals more stability. Another problem is that depending on your stance angles, you might have a bit more overhang that normal. The Machete is a naturally more narrow board and you have big feet.
Agree with LEO on pretty much all the points. Since I have experience with the '11 T.Rice and non on '11 Machete I'm going to tell you to buy the Lib Tech. I think you will have a blast on it.
Does MTX play a role in your decision making?
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just a quick note - lib tech skunk ape is the wide version of TRS - just picked one up myself though its still a month+ till I can ride it probably
Chris2347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2347 View Post
Just a quick note - lib tech skunk ape is the wide version of TRS - just picked one up myself though its still a month+ till I can ride it probably
Thanks for that. I keep forgetting that the Skunk Ape is a wide TRS.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not a fan of the art design on the Skunk Ape. I've ridden on nonwide boards all this time, and never really had a problem with toe drag. But this time, I want to get a wide board so from what you guys are saying, my best option is the Ride Machete 157Wide, is that correct ? The T.Rice 157 or 161.5 wouldn't do it ? Is the rocker/camber combo fun and noticeable compared to regular camber ?
FeelTheBeaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Booo, you're basing a purchase decision on looks... BOOOOOO!!!

In all seriousness though, I really don't understand how you didn't notice any drag with size 13 boots on regular width boards. That's strange. Do you lay down deep carves or ever cut down a steep? That's just odd to me unless you are either rocking a really ducked stance or a straight alpine.

Anyway, out of all the boards I'd say the 157w Machete.

If you think you can do the 157 T-Rice, then go for it. It's a stiffer board and will be really stable at high speeds on groomed or icey runs. It will do really well in powder too. I recommend the 161 for you though. That is the best width for your large boots. It's pretty big for your weight, but you still fall in the range so you're good.

Oh, and the TRICE isn't the best park board. I can't emphasize enough that this board is stiff.

As for the C2 camber, it's really good. I personally love the C2 hybrid camber. I also like K2's and Ride's various camber profiles. They are all good.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

i dont want to keep beating a deadhorse. but given extracted statements BELOW the T.Rice is still the way to go:

I am attracted to the rocker/camber combo featured on both the lib techs. I'm 6'1, 150pounds, and I love to bomb down on powder days, and love to cruise/carve/hit the park on groomed days. What do you guys recommend ?

for everything else i say go w/ machete. and T.Rice is already wide, i suggest you head to a shop and get it measured and checked out. i doubt the overhang is a problem. you are young and still growing too and either choice should make you a happy boarder
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The T-Rice is a wider board than the rest, but the 157 is not suitable for his size 13 boot. The max recommended is 10.5 for that model. It's 25.8cm at the waist which puts it at around 26 at the inserts. He has a huge 13 boot!

But like I said, if you never experienced any toe drag on normal boards... go for it man. You have been warned plenty of times about it.

As for the bombing powder runs statement, the Machete is fine for that. The only time the Machete has stability issues is when you take it down hardpacked/icey steeps. In powder, the board is just an excellent performer.

The Machete has a very mellow rocker on it too so it isn't like your average rocker.

Another concern of mine was that he stated he rides park. Hands down Machete on this one. It's not even a contest between the Machete and TRice in the park.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
The T-Rice is a wider board than the rest, but the 157 is not suitable for his size 13 boot. The max recommended is 10.5 for that model. It's 25.8cm at the waist which puts it at around 26 at the inserts. He has a huge 13 boot!

But like I said, if you never experienced any toe drag on normal boards... go for it man. You have been warned plenty of times about it.

As for the bombing powder runs statement, the Machete is fine for that. The only time the Machete has stability issues is when you take it down hardpacked/icey steeps. In powder, the board is just an excellent performer.

The Machete has a very mellow rocker on it too so it isn't like your average rocker.

Another concern of mine was that he stated he rides park. Hands down Machete on this one. It's not even a contest between the Machete and TRice in the park.
The T Rice is still an aggressive park board. Obviously not for jibs but its definitely made for large features at high speeds.
Tailblock is offline   Reply With Quote