Rocker/MTX vs Traditional Camber/Sidecut - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rocker/MTX vs Traditional Camber/Sidecut

In your opinion what are the differences in ride between a a board with rocker or hybrid rocker and a board with traditional camber?

Will rocker/hybrid rocker come into play when picking the length of my deck?

What about regular sidecut Vs MTX? ANy big Cons here?

How will a board with MTX and hybrid rocker stack up against a strictly traditional board?

I am not completely sold on these new technologies, but have an opportunity to buy a board that uses them (with no option to demo) I trust you all more than the guys at the local boardshop when it comes to important decisions like this one!

Last edited by Liquidnails; 10-14-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Liquidnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidnails View Post
In your opinion what are the differences in ride between a a board with rocker or hybrid rocker and a board with traditional camber?

Will rocker/hybrid rocker come into play when picking the length of my deck?

What about regular sidecut Vs MTX? ANy big Cons here?

How will a board with MTX and hybrid rocker stack up against a strictly traditional board?

I am not completely sold on these new technologies, but have an opportunity to buy a board that uses them (with no option to demo) I trust you all more than the guys at the local boardshop when it comes to important decisions like this one!
Hey Liquidnails,

We (NS) new the benefits of a rocker when we started looking into it. Which is a forgiving freestyle feel and powder floatation. But our boards are known for edge hold and stability so we didn't want to lose the benefits of camber for that. Hence, we combined the two for the best of both worlds. But you have to use an alternative or blended sidecut with any rocker board or it won't work as well. The sidecut has to work in harmony with the board profile. The design is only as good as the sidecut it is paired with. That is why our boards and the Mervin boards with MTX have done so well. Any rocker or hybrid rocker with a traditional radial sidecut will not ride that well.
The Chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

From what I've read, most people go a size smaller with a RC board than a traditional camber. So if you're riding a 161 cambered board, get a 158 RC board.

Why can't you demo one before you buy it? I've heard nothing but good things about Never Summer's boards, but they are expensive. Personally, I wouldn't spend $500+ without demoing it first.
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Liquidnails,

Good question. It is also a huge question because there are so many variations on "rocker" (and even camber) these days. You have some good advice above that you should demo if you are unsure of length. One thing is for sure, rocker (all variations) does effect length choice due to the change in running surface. They do not all effect length choice equally or in the same way. Choosing a board by tip to tail length was never a good idea, but it is downright impossible now.

As for MTX etc, like all board design features, it is not all good or all bad. You will read here and elsewhere about riders who love it and others who have a hard time getting used to it. No one tecnology rocks for everyone or suits every style. The upside of "wavy edges" (generic for all flavors) is that some riders feel that they increase bite that can be lost due to various rocker designs. The downside is that some riders find them to be unexpetedly catchy at times.

The best way to go about this will be to post your weight and foot size, the type of riding you do (and where). If possible, let us all know the models (with sizes) that you have ridden in the past and what you have liked / not liked. Then everyone will be able to make some specific suggestions.

Thanks.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

vote4pedro: My budget is a lot less that $500 for a board, which unfortunately eliminates my local boardshops as a vendor. Manufacturer demo days are also scarce in my area. I'm left to base my decisions on my own past experiences and the testimony of other more seasoned riders

Thanks for the insight Wiredsport.

I'm 180# wear a sz 10.5 boot and ride a few diffeent hills in the interior of BC, Canada. I currently ride an older 162 prior AMF. I like it but want something a little more freeride oriented.

I like carving on hardpacked days and gravitate towards the trees and steeper runs on powder/soft days. Getting to/from many of my favorite spots requires navigating bumps and some long traverses. Park riding doesn't really float my boat.

I'm looking at the Rossignol Jones Experience and the Arbor Coda.

The hybrid rocker and MTX of the Rossi board look like they could be fun. I also like the flex profile... medium tip, stiff mid, real stiff tail. A little worried that the tip might be a big floppy donkey dong at higher speed.

The Coda looks to be like a slightly stiffer version of what I'm on... an All Mountain Freestyle board for someone who spends >25% of their time in the park or at least making everything in the world a park like feature. I like the 2 yr warranty and graphics. 161 might be a little short for me, and 165 a little long... dunno.

That's my basic situation and inspiration for this thread.

Last edited by Liquidnails; 10-14-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Thanks for the input and suggestions.

vote4pedro: My budget is a lot less that $500 for a board, which unfortunately eliminates my local boardshops as a vendor. Manufacturer demo days are also scarce in my area. I'm left to base my decisions on my own past experiences and the testimony of other more seasoned riders

Thanks for the insight Wiredsport.

I'm 180# wear a sz 10.5 boot and ride a few diffeent hills in the interior of BC, Canada. I currently ride an older 162 prior AMF. I like it but want something a little more freeride oriented.

I like carving on hardpacked days and gravitate towards the trees and steeper runs on powder/soft days. Getting to/from many of my favorite spots requires navigating bumps and some long traverses. Park riding doesn't really float my boat.

I'm looking at the Rossignol Jones Experience and the Arbor Coda.

The hybrid rocker and MTX of the Rossi board look like they could be fun. I also like the flex profile... medium tip, stiff mid, real stiff tail. A little worried that the tip might be a big floppy donkey dong at higher speed.

The Coda looks to be like a slightly stiffer version of what I'm on... an All Mountain Freestyle board for someone who spends >25% of their time in the park or at least making everything in the world a park like feature. I like the 2 yr warranty and graphics. 161 might be a little short for me, and 165 a little long... dunno.

That's my basic situation and inspiration for this thread.
The Coda 161 is a very good choice for you. The extra contact points work well on that design and you would not need to bump up to 165. The Bataleon Omni 163 with TBT is another one to consider. I wish you could demo these two boards run to run. Both are great choices by core companies.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

What do you mean by extra contact points?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just so you know, the coda was traditional camber until this year. A new board will run you about $500. Last year's board would still be a great board. But it's not a rocker if that's what you're looking for.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
What do you mean by extra contact points?
he's probably talking about this year's coda. arbor calls it "the system." they added contact points along the edge for more stability.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vote4pedro View Post
Just so you know, the coda was traditional camber until this year. A new board will run you about $500. Last year's board would still be a great board. But it's not a rocker if that's what you're looking for.
Thanks for bringing that up. I was indeed referring to last season's Coda with traditional camber.

All I am looking for is a board that suits my riding style and keeps up with me as my riding progresses. At this point I dont know if that's a traditional style board or not... I need to learn more about this new technology.

From what I gather RC and MTX sound like a good thing; more grip on ice and more float in powder. what's not to like.