First Board Help? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board Help?

Im looking to buy my first board but am a little lost in all the researching i've been doing..a little about me: im a girl, age 21, height ~5'3"/4", weight ~115, boot size: 4.5..

ive technically been riding for about 6 years but only since last season i finally passed the learning curve and really started enjoying myself. i would consider myself a beginner/low intermediate with mostly all-mountain intent. i doubt ill do any park riding since the person i go with is a skiier and i enjoy just riding down groomers with her. i might hit a few small jumps now and then.

i usually go to bear mountain/snow summit in southern california but would really enjoy going to mammoth this season as well. if it matters, i just got a pair of salomon f20w's for boots and i am just as lost with how to purchase bindings haha i might rent my first trip this season to get a feel for the boots i purchased, because i dont really know what to feel for with boards yet.

if anyone has suggestions on good boards for me, id really appreciate the help! ive been getting so excited for this season its sort of taken over my free time :P
bee28kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee28kay View Post
Im looking to buy my first board but am a little lost in all the researching i've been doing..a little about me: im a girl, age 21, height ~5'3"/4", weight ~115, boot size: 4.5..

ive technically been riding for about 6 years but only since last season i finally passed the learning curve and really started enjoying myself. i would consider myself a beginner/low intermediate with mostly all-mountain intent. i doubt ill do any park riding since the person i go with is a skiier and i enjoy just riding down groomers with her. i might hit a few small jumps now and then.

i usually go to bear mountain/snow summit in southern california but would really enjoy going to mammoth this season as well. if it matters, i just got a pair of salomon f20w's for boots and i am just as lost with how to purchase bindings haha i might rent my first trip this season to get a feel for the boots i purchased, because i dont really know what to feel for with boards yet.

if anyone has suggestions on good boards for me, id really appreciate the help! ive been getting so excited for this season its sort of taken over my free time :P
What have you been riding over the past few seasons?

I would go with an all-moutain freestyle board that will be stiff enough for the whole mountain, but soft enough for you to continue to progress on.

I'm glad you posted your boot size because I wear the same size and have found that it has really affected my riding. In fact, it took me FOREVER to learn to link turns, even on a freestyle board. Once I switched to a softer park board, I was turning immediately. In general, your feet should approach the edge of your board for optimal control. If they don't, you'll have a hard time turning and boards will feel much stiffer torsionally than they actually are. Choose board with a thinner waist and soft torsional flex.

Good all-mountain options if you're not worried about torsional stiffnes: K2 Fling or Ecopop, NS Infinity, Ride Compact, Rome Vinyl, Bataleon Violenza, K2 Lunatique, Gnu B-Nice

If you are worried about stiffness, go with a high-end park board: I ride a Gnu B-Street 141 all-mountain and it's treated me well. It is soft enough for me, yet handles groomers, trees, and powder exceptionally well. Also consider: Roxy Eminence, Roxy Ollie Pop, Capita Space Metal Fantasy, Arbor Cadence, NS Pandora, Bataleon Distortia

As for bindings, I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Cheaper bindings are obviously more affordable, but aren't well made and are usually pretty soft. My first bindings were a pair of Burton Stilettos - the ladders were so sticky and the ankle strap was so stiff and hard to get into that I threw them away after just a few days on snow. I traded them in for a more mid-range binding: Ride Vxn. I liked them a lot better and rode them for the rest of the season. If you can swing it, go for an upper-end binding that you can try with your boot. I have Salomon boots in a 4.5 and love my K2 Virtues. I also have a pair of Rome Madisons, which are some of the best on the market, but do not fit my boot well. I've heard great things about Burton Lexas and Ride DVas.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you SOOOO much! i really appreciate the advice, ive been trying to search for similar advice but decided my own stats were too different to go off of other's posts lol

to answer your question, i only have ever rented before and it took me foreverrrr to learn how to turn. the boots never fit right and now hopefully ill eliminate that issue plus, i wasnt going very often and i just couldnt connect more than one link at a time. it got really frustrating but then i went about 6 times last winter and dedicated myself to quitting that falling leaf b.s. forever haha! so now i feel like im comfortable enough on the slopes to pay attention to the equipment aspect of learning and progressing.

I shall look into all of those suggestions and hopefully get a full setup sometime into this season

thanks again!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, this is my first post and am basically in an identical position so am basically going to tag along on this thread! I am 5'0 and 116lbs and a size 5 in boots. I'm still a beginner, have been snowboarding 3 times so far and am starting to get the hang of turns and can stay upright for the majority of green runs. At the end of last season I bought boots because renting boots with such small narrow feet was a total nightmare and I really felt like not having my boots fit was really making it harder to learn. I got a pair of Ride Sage boots which were pretty much the only ones in the store that actually fit my feet!

I'm hoping to get a board/bindings at the end of this season and would like to try out a couple of boards this season instead of just getting the rentals. Based on all the stuff I've been reading I'm thinking that due to my size I want to get bindings on the stiffer side (maybe escapades?)and a softer board. I'm interested in trying a rocker, but am having a hard time determining which would be okay for a beginner. The OP has more experience than me, sounds like. A lot of the shorter rockers seem to be listed as intermediate/advanced boards (Gnu B-Street, Roxy Eminence, Arbor Cadence are the ones I have looked at, also the B-nice but not sure if that would be too stiff?) but based on my height, weight, tiny feet does that override the non-beginner aspects of these boards?

I am not interested in park at all. My husband and his family are all advanced skiers/boarders so I am just interested in improving my skills on regular groomers. We are based in the northeast, so can be pretty icy, groomed runs with manmade snow.

Thank you in advance!!
kirstabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

You might also take a look at some youth boards, you fit within the size range for many of them and they have narrower waist widths and a softer flex. Prices also tend to be much lower than the adult boards.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's a really good idea. I was just doing a quick search for youth rockers in my size (I'm thinking something around 141-143?) Something like the NS Evo youth board is still described as intermediate/advanced. How much notice of those sorts of categories are you supposed to take? Some of the youth boards seem like they're exactly the same as the adult version of the board NS Evo, Burton Feelgood V-Rocker, Gnu B-nice mini- although that's pretty small), and in some cases only a little smaller, but they're really a lot cheaper. Do you lose some quality or something there too? And would small adult bindings still fit on a youth board? I have adult boots, and even though my feet are small my legs are still grown up size- haha!

Thanks!
kirstabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Can't say I know a lot about women's boards, I have heard some really nice things from Roxy. I would also look into some youth boards as they would match your size needs (as others have noted). I too live in SoCal and go to Bear, I would recommend you check out Mt. High in the LA area it's a nice mountain to learn on and has night riding...
girlsare2fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

so i think im going to keep researching throughout this season and possiblyy score the rome vinyl in say february for after season sales and keep renting boards for now..i need to invest in a jacket before a board hahbut ima still go to snow jam or skidazzle nd see what kind of deals i can get!

yeah mt high is only about 40mins from my home in la. my dad and bro go up there but since im in sd for school its more worth the drive (nnd closer) to go to bear mtn..i usually just take of at 9am nd get a halfdaypass at noon after lunch haha going to mthigh woud be an extra hr from me lol but im hoping to go when im home for xmas
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
so i think im going to keep researching throughout this season and possiblyy score the rome vinyl in say february for after season sales and keep renting boards for now..i need to invest in a jacket before a board hahbut ima still go to snow jam or skidazzle nd see what kind of deals i can get!

yeah mt high is only about 40mins from my home in la. my dad and bro go up there but since im in sd for school its more worth the drive (nnd closer) to go to bear mtn..i usually just take of at 9am nd get a halfdaypass at noon after lunch haha going to mthigh woud be an extra hr from me lol but im hoping to go when im home for xmas
How do you figure it's closer? Am I taking the wrong route to Bear??? I live in San Diego, 619 area, and I usually take 2 1/4 hrs to Mt High and 3+ to Bear...
girlsare2fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

lol well i just google map'ed it and it appears that youre correct, but it usually takes us 2.5 hours to get to big bear..we just take 215 to 330

my ex lives in palmdale which is only 20 mins from mthigh so i guess mentally i just assume its "back home" haha but ill keep that in mind. i just know that mt high is more often than not, crowded and alot of park riding. but i havent been so im in no way allowed to make comments like that :P i ride mostly at snow summit since its more family oriented and generally slower for my progressing ways..i havent quite learned how to jump or anything so i wanna still maintain a slowish pace while still in the upper intermediate runs i ended last season with.

but thanks for the advice! maybe ill see you at bear AND mthigh this winter