Burton custom X, flying v or lib tech trice c2 btx - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton custom X, flying v or lib tech trice c2 btx

I'm pretty sure I want to get the burton flying v but I could use some persuasion. First off, i'm looking for a board that will allow me to bomb runs groomer or powder. I live in Minnesota so sometimes there isn't always nice pow. So in that sense I suppose to need a board that will be good to handle both with fast speeds.

I'm also interested in jumps and looking forward to some half-pipe this season. So between the burton custom x (cambered) the burton flying V (hybrid) or the lib tech c2 btx (hybrid), which might be better for me? I'm thinking the differences are small and that I should just pick one but I'm wondering if anyone has a little more insight.

I know the custom x board would be sick for bombing the runs but how well is it in the pow compared to a hybrid...you know? So thats why I figured maybe the flying V or T.Rice c2 btx so I can bomb runs in either condition and butter around without catching an edge. What do you think?
imprezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Bombing, jumps, and half-pipe... Custom X

Powder, bombing, jumps... T-Rice (not sure how good of a pipe board this is)

Powder, all-around park, good bombing... Custom Flying V

The T-Rice and Custom X are very stiff. These two boards are going to be fast and stable. The T-Rice will be better in pow due to its C2 rocker.

The Custom Flying-V is the better all-purpose board. It is an ideal board for one board quivers. The T-Rice and Custom X should be a part of a board quiver.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The T. Rice should really be considered two separate models with the 153 and 157 being park/jib specific, while the 161.5 and 164.5 are "pointy nosed" and pow specific.

The custom X is a classic camber model while the Flying V is obviously a rocker variation.

Personal preference for sure, but it sounds like you are going to be mixing it up a lot with pow when available, groomers and some pipe. If you take a real look at Minnesota riding and decide that hardpack and ice is a big part of your riding, go with the X. If you see yourself in better snow and park more go with the V.

Those are generic suggestions and as always, fit is the most important factor and might rule out some models for you based on your specs. What is your weight and your foot size?

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-18-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
The T. Rice should really be considered two separate models with the 153 and 157 being park/jib specific, while the 161.5 and 164.5 are "pointy nosed" and pow specific.
While the 157 and lower has a blunted nose and tail for jibbing purposes, it actually isn't a good jib board. This was done for T-Rice himself and obviously someone of his talent can ride a stiff board on rails.

For someone who isn't as good, taking a stiff board like the T-Rice to a rail is not a good idea. Can be done, but definitely not the ideal board to jib with.

The OP probably won't be jibbing since he said he wants to learn jumps and pipe, but I just wanted to point that out so he doesn't mistakenly think of the 157 T-Rice as being a jib stick.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
While the 157 and lower has a blunted nose and tail for jibbing purposes, it actually isn't a good jib board. This was done for T-Rice himself and obviously someone of his talent can ride a stiff board on rails.

For someone who isn't as good, taking a stiff board like the T-Rice to a rail is not a good idea. Can be done, but definitely not the ideal board to jib with.

The OP probably won't be jibbing since he said he wants to learn jumps and pipe, but I just wanted to point that out so he doesn't mistakenly think of the 157 T-Rice as being a jib stick.
Hi Leo,

From the Libtech website:

"For psychoLOGICAL shredding advantages, Travis continues to have two shapes: a pow specific pointy 161.5 and a park/jib specific blunt 153 &157."

The 157 is an awesome park board and a very fun jib board. I spent a few days on the 157 up on Hood this Summer and it rips. This board was specifically designed by Lib as a Park and Jibber in 157.

PS: I do appreciate your opinion. I asked for the OP's weight and foot size above, because it is impossible to generically suggest models without having that info. What might feel stiff to a 150 lb jibber, will be a noodle to a 200 lb guy.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-18-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Leo,

From the Libtech website:

"For psychoLOGICAL shredding advantages, Travis continues to have two shapes: a pow specific pointy 161.5 and a park/jib specific blunt 153 &157."

The 157 is an awesome park board and a very fun jib board. I spent a few days on the 157 up on Hood this Summer and it rips. This board was specifically designed by Lib as a Park and Jibber in 157.

PS: I do appreciate your opinion. I asked for the OP's weight and foot size above, because it is impossible to generically suggest models without having that info. What might feel stiff to a 150 lb jibber, will be a noodle to a 200 lb guy.
I was making a generic statement. I was also talking about a beginning park rider like the OP made himself seem to be. Stiff boards (speaking in terms of normal weight to board size, not sizing down for a bigger guy) for rails just aren't ideal for someone who is learning.

Good riders can do it which I'm sure you are (Insert your name here person behind the WiredSports forum account ). So can beginners, but I'm simply saying they will be much better served learning on a soft board for rails.

Anyway, the main point of my comment is that the T-Rice is a stiff board. Even if you size down for your weight, it will still be fairly stiff unless you are like a 220lb on that 157.

If the OP weighs 150, the 157 will be stiff. If the OP weighs 200lbs, the 157 will be mid-stiff. Either way, there are much better jib boards for him out there.

But what we are talking about is pointless since he didn't mention that he is doing rails. The T-Rice will rock for jumps, powder, ice, and bombing runs.

If he wants an all-around board that will also do well on rails if he gets into them, the Custom FlyV is the better choice in my opinion.

Of course this is all a general statement based on appropriate sizing.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just want a good all around board that will handle the various snow conditions. If I want to bomb in pow or on hardpack, I want the board to be stable. I'm considering half-pipe but mostly want to hit up jumps. No jibbing.

I'm 5'9" 165lbs and my foot is a size 10.
imprezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezd View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just want a good all around board that will handle the various snow conditions. If I want to bomb in pow or on hardpack, I want the board to be stable. I'm considering half-pipe but mostly want to hit up jumps. No jibbing.

I'm 5'9" 165lbs and my foot is a size 10.
Custom X 158. Solid for the conditions you will see the most of. Perfect for your specs.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Custom X is a very popular pipe board. It is also super stable. The only thing I would say negative about the Custom X is that it isn't the best powder board. The T-Rice will be much better in the powder.

With the Custom X's traditional camber, you're going to have to either set the bindings back or bone out that back leg and consciously keep your nose up in powder.

The T-Rice will just surf because of the rocker between your feet.

Your call. If you don't do a ton of powder, the CusX all the way. If you do ride a ton of powder and just want to play around on the rest, the TRice.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm looking into getting the Custom Flying V as my first board.

I need advice on which size: the 148cm or 151cm?

I'm 5'4 to 5'5
132lbs
shoe size 9US

I'm a beginner (went snow boarding for 4 days this year as my first time).

No rails. But will want to do jumps down the track. General cruising down the slopes.
pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote