Best all-Mt. board that can play in the park?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best all-Mt. board that can play in the park??

Well first off hello everyone, As I am sure you can see I am a newb here. So I hope I have this in the right forum.
So here is my question, what is a good all mountain board that is fast and can handle chop but can still stick some nice presses/rails? I started off a skier and went to the winning team in 2007haha. Because I am not one to buy anything "starter" I went right for the big boy toys, I got a 07-08 GNU billygoat 166. I don't have anything to compare it to as it was my first board but daaamn it fly’s. It is super stable in chop, slush and can blast some pow and backcountry. When I got it I was in WA state and had backcountry and big mountain freeride to play with (what my board was made for) but alas I have moved back home to PA (Pittsburgh) and the best mt. (ok grassy knoll is more like it) I have is 7 springs. So I am in a dilemma, I have a board made for stuff I don’t get to ever ride anymore. Now its all groomer, slush, ice, short runs, and park. I still love the speed and stability I have on the billygoat but I find myself wanting another deck that can offer a bit more fun in the park BUT still be fast. I try to play in the park and like to hit a rail now and then but my board is a bit big for that and it catches edge real fast, and I wouldn’t consider de-tuning a board that is too big/not made for park duty, I rather keep it as is for when I can make it back to some real mountains... I would like to stay with mervin but would consider NS also. So far the Lib Tech Dark series is really grabbing me, but I wonder if it would just be similar to the billygoat I already have? I cant decide if I want to go softer because I still enjoy blasting down the mountain at mach speeds over spending all day at the park and if I do hit the park its mostly for the kickers. Also I am trying to figure out if I could get away with a normal size dark series (if I chose that deck) or I would need a wide. I wear size 11 or 12 boot I'm 6'1" and weigh about 195 (thus the 166 I ride now) so throw me some ideas. I would like a good price but am also a sucker for the best tech out...
Thanks for the time and input.

Last edited by shifty00; 10-18-2010 at 01:29 PM.
shifty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm very excited to get one of these soon: YES.NOW.BOARD The Optimistic

Haven't tried it, but i've read some great reviews...
boarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

You should look into some hybrid camber boards. They run a little bit more expensive but will give you the tech and abilities to bring you board all over the mountain, or grassy knoll. Look into some lib tech, ns, or burton customs. Gluck bud
Puggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the dark series is still pretty stiff, i'd look at a lib skunk ape for all over east coast resort riding (wide version of the TRS) It features C2btx this year (rocker camber hybrid). My buddy has a Lib MC kink in a 155, a shorter softer board for freestylin, but with a wide side cut and a long effective edge helping with turns, makes its a really fun combination. A ton of pop too.

or move back to washington, they should get hammered this year with la nina

Last edited by walove; 10-18-2010 at 03:27 PM.
walove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah, the best bets appear to be the NS- SL and the Yes Optimistic. haven't been on the yes board but being from the 'burgh myself i can tell ya that the SL would kill 7Springs. Hopefully someone here has had a ride on the optimistic to compare but from all indications its would kill it too.
Cool_As_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggy View Post
You should look into some hybrid camber boards. They run a little bit more expensive but will give you the tech and abilities to bring you board all over the mountain, or grassy knoll. Look into some lib tech, ns, or burton customs. Gluck bud
Did you read my post? haha kidding but yeah that's what I have been looking at

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
the dark series is still pretty stiff, i'd look at a lib skunk ape for all over east coast resort riding (wide version of the TRS) It features C2btx this year (rocker camber hybrid). My buddy has a Lib MC kink in a 155, a shorter softer board for freestylin, but with a wide side cut and a long effective edge helping with turns, makes its a really fun combination. A ton of pop too.

or move back to washington, they should get hammered this year with la nina
I need to check that out, and trust me I ask myself all the time "why the hell did I move back here" I loved crystal Mt. I miss the powder bowl. But it rains sooooo much in sea/tac area, still like it better than the burgh, but the fam is out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_As_Cakes View Post
yeah, the best bets appear to be the NS- SL and the Yes Optimistic. haven't been on the yes board but being from the 'burgh myself i can tell ya that the SL would kill 7Springs. Hopefully someone here has had a ride on the optimistic to compare but from all indications its would kill it too.
Yeah the NS legacy was third on my list (wider SL) after dark series and the TRS, but it may be moving up the ranks, and not that I'm big on graphics but damn the white/black deck looks outstanding.

Last edited by shifty00; 10-18-2010 at 04:51 PM.
shifty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

use the search, there's a tonnn of these threads already
Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jel View Post
use the search, there's a tonnn of these threads already
This isn't my first forum, I did search, although some were close to my same question most were not near my size/weight and boot size. And one of my main concerns is if I would need a wide, or can I get away with a normal size (particularly in the dark series because it has built in risers). Thanks for the contribution though.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wear an 11.5 boot and ride the 157 T.Rice C2BTX at 7Springs. I think if you went with the 161 T.Rice you'd be a pretty happy camper. It's pretty much the perfect stick for that place. If you go with another board, I'd recommend sticking with something with a waist width of 26cm or so.

Were you able to ride 7Springs last February when it got blasted? It was some of the best riding I have ever experienced. 30 inches in 2 days made that place the perfect playground.

Last edited by Tauwolf; 10-18-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Tauwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

yeh im new here and stuck with the same situation. wanting the exact same thing in more or less the same measurements.
so far ive narrowed my search down to the Burton Custom Flying V 158 or the Lib Tech T.Rice 157. im just worried about the width, id wear a size 10/11 boot.. im more inclined to the T.Rice but if you guys know better (which most of you would) let me know. Im about to start the Banff Season off real soon so i need to get myself a board asap.
MattCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote