Who wears wristguards? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
arifman13

Default Who wears wristguards?

Who wears wristguards these days? do they actually protect your wrists , or are they just uncool & uncomfortable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Rollerbladers wear them

All kidding aside I used to wear them when I was younger and attempting to learn how to skateboard on the halfpipe and they actually did help quite a bit. I can't imagine it would be any different for snowboarding, plus if you are worried about being seen in them I think you may be able to wear them under a pair of mittens but I've never seen snowboard specific wristguards so I'm not sure.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
simplysnow

i do! but i'm still a beginner. it helps A LOT when falling and pushing yourself up off the ground. my motto is, when you stop falling for good, you won't need the padding [ass pads, wrist guards, knee pads, etc.] anymore. oh, but always have your helmet!!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
ahhhhhhhgabe

i've got a pair of the burton impact gloves. they look kinda darth vader-y. i'd say they work pretty well; but they DO promote bad habits - sometimes i'll still try to catch myself with hands outstretched. gotta stop doin that
Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

they for sure protect yer wrists, but they make your fingers more vulnerable. what are you happier to risk snapping?

i never used them but i know people who love them tho. if you are stressed about their look / style or about having just another bit of kit to worry about, i think some gloves have them integrated
Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysnow View Post
i do! but i'm still a beginner. it helps A LOT when falling and pushing yourself up off the ground. my motto is, when you stop falling for good, you won't need the padding [ass pads, wrist guards, knee pads, etc.] anymore. oh, but always have your helmet!!
OOoooohhh, if I was you I'd forget that assumption. Now that I have gotten pretty good at riding, it hurts a lot more when I fall than it did when I fell all the time. You will never stop falling for good unless you quit trying to get better, and even then everybody eats it once in a while, but when you get better you will probably be going twice as fast. Always remember that or it will teach you a horrible lesson. When you watch a riding dvd and you see those guys pulling huge 3's and 5's they don't just go out and nail it first try every time. They eat shit and eat shit hard practicing for those video segments. Im not busting your balls, just giving advice/opinion from experience.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
You will never stop falling for good unless you quit trying to get better...but when you get better you will probably be going twice as fast. Always remember that or it will teach you a horrible lesson.
No truer words have ever been spoken. When you are learning, you fall A LOT. but you fall going like 3-7 mph. Once you have become proficent, you can down at speeds over 30mph, fall from the lip of a 14' half-pipe, catch an edge on a handrail, etc. And THOSE slams are FAR more dangerous than the ones you took on the bunny hill. Snowboarding is one of those sports that the more you progress at it, the more dangerous it can become.

That said, my best friend wears wrist guards, under his gloves. Also, if you worried about looking dumb or something, then you are a slave to other people's perception. Not cool.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
jillian636

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
they for sure protect yer wrists, but they make your fingers more vulnerable. what are you happier to risk snapping?
but you can always wear them under your gloves, right? well, at least i do. i'm a beginner, that's why.

Last edited by jillian636; 01-19-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
DrProphet

Default learning ain't cool...

Hey, i'm still learning myself, and when i hit the mountains i threw on a pair of wristguards. I broke my wrist 15 years ago and it does kinda smart. I forgot to put them on one day and landed on my wrist...took it as a gentle reminder and put them on. In the UK, when we're learning to drive we have to use L plates...ya don't look cool, but sooner or later you can get rid of them I've heard alot of opinions that say to improve ya snowboarding ability it helps to gain confidence...wristguards do help ya with that, cos it takes away the anxiety of injury, leaving ya free to enjoy what you went there for in the first place. Oh, and if someone doesn't think i look cool, i'm sure they'll come 'n tell me. If it's really affecting their COOL lives that much.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Schwaller15

I'd recommend wearing them. I do all the time because I play lacrosse and it's a spring sport so if I mess up my wrist in the winter then I'm screwed for my season.