The Legendary Burton - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Legendary Burton

So, I know a lot of people on here dislike Burton.
Why?
I had a look at there channel boards and I really like them, they look pretty good. Any views on the channel system vs. The traditional one?
I' d be really interested to hear your views.
Thanks in advance,
Wolfsnow not snowolf.
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, there definitely is a bit of "paying for the name" when it comes to Burton, when you can get better tech for less from some other companies. Alot of it is just irrational dislike.

But alot of their boards and gear are really well made. I just bought a 2009 Burton Deuce I found hiding on a clearance rack because it's one of my favorite rides of the last couple years. It rides like a Cadillc when most boards are trying to be a Corvette.

But that's where Burton's market size gives them an advantage: they have the recources to make several styles of boards every year, for men and women. They may not be the best in any one category, but they'll be a reliable choice in *every* category.
Tauwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There are many reasons people hate on Burton, some legit, others not so much.

1)The snowboard community is deeply rooted in punk, anti-establishment counterculture. That attitude with many of the passionate riders is still alive & well, and Burton is the big kid on the block. Making it the cool thing to do.

2)They have for the most part priced themselves out of the competitive market (relying on their reputation and R&D to sell their product), they've leaned towards brand exclusive products with ICS/est and 3 hole binding mounting, and they've made it hard for other smaller businesses in the past to gain footing on the market. These are the reasons many will say Burton has sold out. And in a way, they have.

3) Brand loyalty. Ask anyone who rides a Victory, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, or custom chopper and they'll tell you Harley-Davidson "Fucking Sucks/Sold Out" etc. They will tell you it's because harley makes a shit product that costs way too much money for what you get. Harley riders will tell you it's because they are envious and wish they had a "real bike". (I ride a Victory because I love the style of my Hammer and I got a hell of a deal on it. But I have no hate for HD)

Snowboarding is the same. Some people believe Burton is the only good product on snow and everything else is "cheap shit", and others believe Burton is charging WAY too much money for their top of the line equipment, and that they are doing too little to make their lower end, affordable gear, reliable and cutting edge. They will tell you, "I had a buddy who used his Cartels only once and they lit on fire causing an avalanche and complete extinction of the unicorn", I actually had a dude tell me he hates burton because he went through 5 brand new Burton boards in one season. I could believe it if he was a competing sponsored rider or got deals because he works in a board shop, but he doesn't.

4) (This kills me to say because I ride Burton gear) Burton is one of the top indicators on the poser checklist. Not that eveyone who rides Burton is a poser, but a lot of douche bag fucks that believe what you wear, what you drive, and what you buy, determines social status, also ride a lot of Burton. And they falling leaf all over your line on their CX or Vapor after talking a ton of shit they can't back up over Jaggerbombs in the lodge.

Having said that, I ride Burton. It's available in the local shops, I started years ago on a burton deck, their gear hasn't given me a reason not to trust them, and they give a ton back to this sport I love. I am a rational person who can appreciate both sides of the argument, but at the end of the day I'm just gonna get out there and ride. I don't care if someone wants to call me a poser because they're more than welcome to follow me off that drop or kicker, I work full time to pay for my morgage, vehicle, bills, lift passes, and gear. But I don't have time to listen to a 14 year old kid tell me he doesn't respect Burton's business practices while he's wearing NIKE.

Opinions are like an asshole, everyones got one and that's mine.

Last edited by Dano; 10-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Because burton is percieved as a big corporate profit-making machine in a sport that has anti conformist origins. I mean all companies are profit making but burton just seems like the evil disingenuous empire that buys its way into contests and magazines and the olympics. Obviously other companies are doing it too but snowboarding should just be about enjoying the activity. It seems like burtons priority is to stay in front of the commercial pack of wolves profiting from the sport.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

burton makes quality stuff, but the company is so large, many think it tainted a bit, or not as "cool" as other newer, smaller companies that are run by riders in colorado or something.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I really think the attitude has chilled on this forum. And usually the reason so many people are eager to throw other brands out there when someone new comes in is due to what's been said before:
Most newbies have only heard of Burton since they have a huge market share and spend so much on advertising. A lot of people are just trying to show that there are other viable choices (your mileage may vary on if it's better or not) out there besides Burton.

I'm not a huge fan of my Burton gloves though... :/
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
I really think the attitude has chilled on this forum. And usually the reason so many people are eager to throw other brands out there when someone new comes in is due to what's been said before:
Most newbies have only heard of Burton since they have a huge market share and spend so much on advertising. A lot of people are just trying to show that there are other viable choices (your mileage may vary on if it's better or not) out there besides Burton.

I'm not a huge fan of my Burton gloves though... :/
i have a SICK pair of pants from burton. Generally their soft goods are excellent. What gloves do you have? i have a pair of their mittens and they have been really good
Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatebanana101 View Post
i have a SICK pair of pants from burton. Generally their soft goods are excellent. What gloves do you have? i have a pair of their mittens and they have been really good
I'll tell you the name once I have my gear up(down?) here. It is one of their cheaper lines, so it's not that surprising that it's not amazing. I have heard good things about their soft goods once you start getting farther up into their lineup.
At the same time, one of my friends got me a random pair of gloves that seem to work better. Don't have those with me either, but I don't recall them being snowboarding specific...
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I am a loyal Burton outerwear user. Particularly, Shaun White's signature line of outerwear. I have 0 complaints about them even after my 2007 Jacket of the Gods started to fall apart this year. But hey, that jacket has been put through hell. It does have a lifetime warranty, but unfortunately I lost the receipt. I can only blame myself for that.

I also ride a 2007 Burton Shaun White. I have the 2008 Shaun White boots. Love both. Why am I bringing up that I use Shaun White's collection? Trust me, rocking Burton TWC stuff is a double whammy. Both Burton and SW are hated to no end and I'm supporting both. You know what though? I don't give two shits because the gear has been nothing but reliable. I still love my 07 board too. I hear so many complaints about lack of pop, edge hold, blah blah blah. My board gives me all of that and more. I hear complaints about jackets and pants not fitting well or being durable enough, but my outwear does all that.

The point is, no matter what gear you use, you're going to find haters. No matter how much steeze you have in your step, people are going to hate. Burton just gets the most hate mainly because it's the cool thing to do.

Here's a fact for you:

Burton is not a publicly traded company. It is still private owned by Jake Burton.

That's pretty fucking cool in my book. Do you know how much money could be had if Burton ever decided to go public? You'd expect a company of this size to be a corporation, but it's not.

There is no such thing as a perfect company. There is no such thing as a perfect board. Stop caring what others think and ride. By the way, I also rock Flows which is more to add to the hatred I receive.

As for ICS vs. Traditional:

I could go either way. If I'm on a Burton board, I'd actually prefer the ICS with EST bindings. I can't deny the feel of the system. Pure dampening underfoot and the flex is just different. The best way I can describe the flex is that it is more smooth. It's not game changing by any means, but if I had the choice, it would be the ICS. If my K2 Turbo Dream had an ICS option, I would choose it.

It's comparable to when you go to your favorite ice cream shop and they ran out of your flavor. Not a big deal since you probably have 50 other flavors that you like. ICS is nice, but it's not a big deal if I can't use it.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just bought an 10' fix with some exiles... Love it, super soft and super adjustable... Not a market whore here, was looking a the banana and trice, but got a dirty deal on my boot and binding set, and I got a whore of a deal on some 32 boots with them. God Bless local shops! Good luck shopping, don't worry about what people think of the brands, just find your price range, get something comfortable together that you love, dial them up and shred it!
Puggy is offline   Reply With Quote