how important is rocker/reverse camber on a snowboard? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question how important is rocker/reverse camber on a snowboard?

just wondering cus i dont have it on my board. is it a huge difference?
LooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you still able to get down the mountain?

There are a couple of areas where camber or a reverse camber definitely edges out the other one, but in the end it comes down to a personal preference. A rocker board will make it a bit easier to learn on due to the contact points being kept off the snow, but pretty much everyone on this forum learned on a camber board and we're all fine (sorta, couple of iffys here and there )

Which board do you have out of curiosity?
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I learned on a camber board about 14 years ago and I'll say if you're a beginner, it will be harder to learn on versus a reverse camber. Probably the hardest thing for beginners on a cambered board is learning to not catch an edge. One minute everything is fine and the next you're on your ass.

A camber board will teach you to be a "better" snowboarder but is harder to master. Reverse camber will allow room for error in your technique since its harder to catch an edge. I'm not sure your experience level but if you're a beginner and don't plan on mashing down the mountain anytime soon, I'd recommend a reverse camber. You'll likely have more fun.

If you're looking to mash down slopes than a camber or hybrid(reverse/camber) should suffice. Hope this helps!
imprezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can we also compare rc tech in this as well. Am am interested in peoples opinion on the feel of these boards because I recently purchased one and have never ridden one! Any opinions would be awesome. Sry to thread steal.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Can we also compare rc tech in this as well. Am am interested in peoples opinion on the feel of these boards because I recently purchased one and have never ridden one! Any opinions would be awesome. Sry to thread steal.
Hmmmm...I don't know if Neversummers are too popular around here...uh hunh...
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
Hmmmm...I don't know if Neversummers are too popular around here...uh hunh...
= not very informative
Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you don't have it you're not cool end of story and since snowboarding is just a giant fashion show you need to be one step ahead of the awesomeness!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
I've never rode a R/C board before but for this season I'm buying one. The idea behind r/c is to allow you the enjoyment of having a rockered board along with some camber. Different companies place the camber in different locations.

Rocker is good for the park or beginners. Camber is good for bombing down runs and riders who desire lots of pop. Bombing a run with a rocker board most likely will result in an unstable ride. This is where camber dominates. Taking a cambered board to the park could be useful on jumps but if you plan on riding rails and boxes, you might catch an edge and wipe out. This is where the rocker/camber technology comes in. It's meant to allow you to get the best of both worlds. Bomb the mountain, hit some jumps, ride a few rails(if the board isn't too stiff), easy smooth riding.

I'm anxious to try the technology.
imprezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey BA have u ridden canted bindings if so does it help the knees?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I won't bother debating which alternative base tech is the best, since I still have yet to try flat and camrock, but I know I wouldn't buy or recommend any board without one of them.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote