how wide should a board be in relation to feet - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default how wide should a board be in relation to feet

i have read the post on here that says your toes and heals should be at the very edge of the board or a half centimeter over. Is this 100%? I am looking at buying my wife a board. She is tall but has small feet for her hieght. When ever i look online the recomendations are for her to be in a board around 148-152. But when i look at the widths of those boards i don' think her feet will be on the edge of the board. She has size 8 which = 24.8

i got this info out of the board section and is why im conflicted.

"Still with us? You are almost done. You now have a way to compare foot size to board width where it matters, but how do you interpret this info to get the correct width? Well that depends a little on stance angle. If you ride a 0 degree stance, you will want your foot size to be the same as the width of the board at the inserts or up to 1 cm greater. If you ride at an angled stance, you will want to measure the board across at the angles that you will be riding. Again, you will want your foot to at least match this measurement or exceed it by up to 1 cm. So using our example above, this guy has a foot 28.57 cm that exceeds the board with at the inserts 27.54 cm by 1.03 cm at a zero degree angle. But, when he angles his feet to the 15 degree angles that he rides, voila, he has .10 cm of overhang for a perfect fit.

But wait a second. Are we saying that you should have overhang, even with bare feet? Yes. You will need overhang to be able to apply leverage to your edges and to get the most out of your board. 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of boot overhang for both toe and heel is ideal, and will not create problematic toe or heel drag. Remember that boots typically add 1/2 at both the toe and heel to your foot measurement from above, due to padding, insulation and the outer boot materials. We do not suggest using the boot length to size boards though, as the extra padding etc, cannot be used well to create leverage, that has to come from your foot itself. We highly recommend that riders do not choose boards where their feet do not come to or exceed the real board width."
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
i have read the post on here that says your toes and heals should be at the very edge of the board or a half centimeter over. Is this 100%? I am looking at buying my wife a board. She is tall but has small feet for her hieght. When ever i look online the recomendations are for her to be in a board around 148-152. But when i look at the widths of those boards i don' think her feet will be on the edge of the board. She has size 8 which = 24.8

i got this info out of the board section and is why im conflicted.
Hi Justin,

It sounds like you may be relying on a board caculator that relies on height. Height is not a factor in board sizing (at least is shouldn't be). What is your wife's weight?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

130lb 5' 8"
Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

130 size 8 it is.

Consider the above info for the Bataleon Distortia 147 (as an example) which would be a textbook fit for her and an exceptional board. The board is 23.8 at the waist and 24.3 at the center inserts (where her foot will be). Her foot is 24.8, which gives her .5 cm of barefoot overhang at a staright stance. That will allow her all options of stance width and all common angles while maintaining the suggested widths as above. Voila!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

thanks for the info, i appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
130lb 5' 8"
TPIWWP
jpb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lol, i am not posting pics of my wife all over the net.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, with size 8 feet, it wouldn't be much of a concern. I wear a size 4 and my foot doesn't come anywhere NEAR the edge of the board - it severely affects my ability to ride a board with any kind of stiffness.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Yeah, with size 8 feet, it wouldn't be much of a concern. I wear a size 4 and my foot doesn't come anywhere NEAR the edge of the board - it severely affects my ability to ride a board with any kind of stiffness.
Yup. You actually have the least options and the hardest gear problem in snowboarding. Women with tiny feet have it rough. Boards with convex bases do help.