What size snowboard for speed? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelorz View Post
Wait. Are you implying the idea behind waxing a snowboard is to reduce friction and that friction is bad for a snowboard?
Every surface has friction. You require edge control to steer the board not base grip. The base has friction yes. Thats why over the years they have evolved the base material from Extruded to Sintered. Sintered bases allow more wax to be absorbed. The wax is hydrophobic, which means it repeals water. As your board goes over the snow it melts a small amount of the snow and the wax allows it to glide on it.

Trust me, when your board is due for a waxing you will know it. Also put the worng wax on your board, i.e Australian Condiditions wax ona board and ride it in Japan and it will stick to the snow like a stuck in a the snow thing.

Read here

Now don't get confused with why a surfer waxes his board.

A properly waxed board is faster and easier to control.

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

wax doesn't just simply reduce friction, there's a little more to it than that. If that were true we could simply lube up our boards with grease and go. The friction between the snow and your base creates a thin layer of water and this where the wax comes in handy. Wax is hydrophobic and allows the water to glide across the base without sticking to it. Additives in the wax can help create even less friction between the water and your base, allowing you to go faster.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Actually check your history. In the very first days of skiing they used rosin, sap and tar. I said reduces friction by doing exactly what I said, melting the snow so it can glide on it.

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah I was agreeing with what you said. When I said lube up, I meant stuff like wd-40, which I have actually had people ask if that would work.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
I have been snowboarding a few times before using other peoples boards.
Not sure what the weighted contact length is. Nor the wide to wide spot.

I have my snowboard and 2 more snowboards that are my brother's.

Mines when put flat on ground seems like it's the least bent in the center and not as much lifted from the ground compared to their boards. Not sure if this matters.

My boot size is 12 and my board is approx 10.3in wide at the spot where the bindings are. I measured from the bottom. My bare foot wouldn't stick out more than an inch if at all.

1 of my brothers board is 10.5in from one binding side and the other side is slightly smaller on the snowboard. Does it have to be wider at the tip or the tail assuming the tail is the back side?
What side is that foot pad thingy supposed to be on?
Can someone please answer?
gera229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
TLN

Quote:
I have been snowboarding a few times before using other peoples boards.

Mines when put flat on ground seems like it's the least bent in the center and not as much lifted from the ground compared to their boards. Not sure if this matters.
This matters, but if you been snowboarding only a few times, this won't make any sense to you.

Quote:
My boot size is 12 and my board is approx 10.3in wide at the spot where the bindings are. I measured from the bottom. My bare foot wouldn't stick out more than an inch if at all.
That's ok. You got to have Wide boards, and your board seems to be.

Quote:
1 of my brothers board is 10.5in from one binding side and the other side is slightly smaller on the snowboard. Does it have to be wider at the tip or the tail assuming the tail is the back side?
This is tapering. It usualy made on a freeride boards to ride better in deep powder.

Quote:
What side is that foot pad thingy supposed to be on?
Before your back foot binding. You can put your foot there when on lift, this pad prevent slipping foot off.
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Can someone please answer?
Sorry for the delay Gera,

Your current Juju is not a great match for you. Your size 12 foot is 30 cm but your board at the inserts is only 26. That gives you 4 cm of barefoot overhang. Some of that might be eaten up by forward angle, but not enough. This board was not designed to be ridden with an Alpine stance.

Also, the Juju's were relatively short on contact length, and your 158 will be a mix of too soft, too short, and too narrow for your specs.

There are many good models that will help you find the speed increase you are looking for.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

I just did not have much to spend, so I found this board used and bought it with bindings. However any suggestions on a snowboard will be appreciated. I will try to see how this thing rides though. Thanks.
gera229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I just did not have much to spend, so I found this board used and bought it with bindings. However any suggestions on a snowboard will be appreciated. I will try to see how this thing rides though. Thanks.
You will be able to ride it for sure. Most of us started with gear that was MUCH worse in both fit and quality and still had a great time. I had understood that you were looking to maximize speed, and this Juju is not really a fit for that, but as an all around play board, yeah you will have your fun!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Resident poet

Op, respectfully, your questions about a faster board are a bit premature. Get more bomb time with what you got and when you are maxing out your available boards and wanting to go faster, then look at a board that will have capacity for more speed. Maxing out a board to the point of instability and beyond will help you to refine your speed technique/skills to handle a faster board....its about balls.