What size snowboard for speed? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What size snowboard for speed?

What size snowboard is for all mountain?

Longer is for speed.
And shorter is a bit slower.

What about width?

Wider is faster or slow?

I just want to know what kinds of boards would "shake" at high speeds. And what types wouldn't.
gera229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Technically speaking, the longer boards are BETTER for speed as they are more stable, not because they are faster. Gravity is exerting a force on your mass and pulling it downhill. The only thing stopping you is friction between the board base and the snow.

Thats why we wax our boards.

The more board surface in contact with the snow the more friction that is applied, so a smaller narrower board would be faster but not very stable. I personally try and keep an edge and never flat board when hammering down a hill. Two reasons, less friction and MORE CONTROL.

In reality it all depends on your weight/height, snow conditions, board base, wax type and how you bite your tongue when you go fast hehe.

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
TLN

Well.... You should search for this on some harbooter forums. But:
1. The longer board more stable
2. The stiffer board more stable.
3. The bigger radius(sidecut) more stable.
4. The more angles you have on bindings is more stable.
5. The narrower board is more stable.

Let me explain the last 3 points.
Bigger radius means you can't do a small carve, and you don't need it while going too fast. So big turns only. They're easier to control on edge.
Carving anges allow you to dose the power on edge. I mean if you push as hard on a 15/-15 board id turn very quick. But if you pust the same power on a carving angled for example 55/30(dunno the exact angles), board won't turn so quick. So you got to push 20% of power on 15/-15 and 60% of on a carving. And it's way easier to control in 0-60% range then 0-20%. Quite hard to understand but i hope you will.
And the last one. narrower board gives better edge to edge performance.

If you want to see what exact board made for spped you should look at BX setup. It was made for pure speed and stable. or SL/GS boards, but it's the higher level =))
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a k2 Juju snowboard that I never road on before. It is 158cm. I am 5'11" and 190lbs. Is the board too small for stable high speed?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

...and most importantly, bigger balls.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
TLN

gera229, you mean you never rode on a k2 juju or on a snowboard ever?
I think it's too smal for you and for high speed. But this depends on what do you think high speed is =)
I think 165 cm is better for 5'11" and 190lbs.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
I have a k2 Juju snowboard that I never road on before. It is 158cm. I am 5'11" and 190lbs. Is the board too small for stable high speed?
Hi Gera,

I hope that I can convice you not to focus on tip to tip length. That measurement will not help you in finding the correct, high performing board that you are looking for.

First off, what is your foot size (rider height is not a factor in snowboard sizing)?

Please read this if you have a minute:

Board sizing has always been a little tricky, but in the past, there have been a small group of readily available stats that have been very useful for comparison and selection by knowledgeable riders. One of those has been Running Length (AKA Contact Length).

As we have written many times, overall board length is a commonly considered, but almost useless measurement. Why? Because the shape and dimensions of a board's raised tip and tail can vary greatly and have next to no impact on the way the board will ride. These variations may change the overall board length by as much as 7 cm without having any significant effect on performance. I can feel some readers out there bristling to say, "but length effects spin weight and rotation". Sure, but in reality the difference in weight is negligible, and the difference you feel in spins is minor at best...and, most importantly for this article, tip to tip length will always be provided, so if it is important to you, it will always be available.

Most informed boarders have paid little to no attention to overall (tip to tip) length but have focused on Running Length as a major indicator of a board's true "size". This measurement was highly valued as it gauged the amount of board that would be in firm contact with the snow while riding. The running length was typically taken as a straight line measurement between the two contact points, which on traditional cambered boards pretty well corresponded with the board's wide points at both ends of it's effective edge. So, this really became a wide point to wide point measurement. Some manufacturers would measure this with the camber compressed (weighted) while others would take a non compressed measurement. In either case, the numbers were pretty close. Good retailers kept their own consistent internal measurements.

Enter Rocker. Rocker is an overused term that inaccurately groups about twenty different variations on Reverse Camber designs. One common element to all of the "Rocker" boards is that by design, the tip and tail, when weighted, are not in firm contact with the snow. Aside: For those readers who are about to comment that some designs are using additional cambered sections, etc, to re-achieve weighted wide point contact, please note that we do not consider these "true" Rockered designs. Although some of these do have a Rockered section (typically between the bindings) the end effect is a board with full contact at the tip and tail when weighted. End Aside.

So, how is running length being measured for Rockered boards? Well, that's interesting. For the mostpart, it's no longer being measured at all. Manufacturers that have been providing this measurement for years and in some cases decades, are now excluding the measurement from their literature and websites. Others have simply continued to measure wide point to widepoint, even while this is no longer a true representation of contact length.

Our suggestion: Two separate measurements. The fist being true weighted contact length and the second being the wide spot to wide spot measurement. This will allow the knowledgeable board seeker to get an idea of real running length, plus "available" running length (available by selective pressuring, even if not all at once) and wide spot distance to better gauge where the potential catch spots are in relation to rider stance.

But at least for now, Running Length, R.I.P.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have been snowboarding a few times before using other peoples boards.
Not sure what the weighted contact length is. Nor the wide to wide spot.

I have my snowboard and 2 more snowboards that are my brother's.

Mines when put flat on ground seems like it's the least bent in the center and not as much lifted from the ground compared to their boards. Not sure if this matters.

My boot size is 12 and my board is approx 10.3in wide at the spot where the bindings are. I measured from the bottom. My bare foot wouldn't stick out more than an inch if at all.

1 of my brothers board is 10.5in from one binding side and the other side is slightly smaller on the snowboard. Does it have to be wider at the tip or the tail assuming the tail is the back side?
What side is that foot pad thingy supposed to be on?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Thats why we wax our boards.

The more board surface in contact with the snow the more friction that is applied, so a smaller narrower board would be faster but not very stable.
Wait. Are you implying the idea behind waxing a snowboard is to reduce friction and that friction is bad for a snowboard?
Xelorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
TLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
I have been snowboarding a few times before using other peoples boards.
Well, any board would be ok for first or two years, if it does match your weight. Actually first year it would go way faster then you can go. =)