Advice for a new board *READ THIS FIRST* - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for a new board *READ THIS FIRST*

Kids, i know the feeling when October starts to cool off, and you get that itch to go ride. You break your gear out, and look at the damage. Cracked edges, delamming nose, core shots galore.... Time for a new board.

or maybe you borrowed a friends beater last season to start, and now you're hooked. And you are in the market for a new funstick.

Let me give you some avice

IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT MUCH. There is no such thing as a perfect board. You grow and change, the snow conditions change, and technology changes. There is no board that can keep up with it all.

there is no need to stress over different boards. And there is no need to try to find the 'perfect' one. Because t doesn't exist.

So relax. stop taking up bandwith asking if complete strangers if one board will be better for you than another, based on such transitory criteria like height and weight. Its like asking people who don't know your medical history to prescribe you drugs, based on their own, narrow experiences.

There is an increadible selection of quality board nowadays, and you would really have to fukk-up bigtime to get a board that you can't ride.

And you know what? Even if you get a board that isn't that suited to you, learning to ride it will make you a stronger rider anyways. And many of the best boards i've ridden have been leftovers at the shop, or ones i got stuck with.

Take it easy, its just a piece of plastic and wood. get one, ride it, and learn for yourself what works for YOU.
anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

there's no harm in simply pointing them in the right direction, it's not that big of an ordeal anyways.
everyone just copies and pastes the same boards for each riding style anyways.

neversummer sl/evo/heritage or you're gay.
thugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default No Quarter

King Shit of Turdville,

A lot of us enjoy obsessing about our purchases of all types. I will always review the hell out of any and everything that I buy that is over 50 bucks. I get satisfaction knowing that I couldn't have purchased something better for my price range, application, etc etc etc

There are no perfect boards. But there are IDEAL boards. And there are seasoned shredders glad to help those in need. There is such a wealth of knowledge here, it is awesome. Not to mention we are all riders, young and "old". And I like most of you turds. Shredders unite, right? Motherfuck yeah

But you sir, are being a dick. Medicine? Snowboarding? Comparing a skibum to a medical doctor? You can't say that all the responders to OP's questions have only a "narrow experience" riding. Some of them have been on boards since I was in fucking diapers.

At least you make a good point.

It's not the board that shreds, it's the rider.

Now, I don't know your medical or mental history, but I'd prescribe you a nice steamy bowl of shut the hell up.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

We've butted heads before and we will probably butt heads now. This thread is highly arrogant and borderline rude.

There is nothing wrong with new riders seeking advice and obsessing over the right gear. Why not???

1) Snowboarding is not cheap so people have every right to obsess over a purchase.

2) Gear does make a difference. Sure we can ride strapped to a log that was cut in half, but why should we? There are so many great snowboards out now. Furthermore, the right size for your measurements will actually make your learning experience much more enjoyable. Then you have all those camber techs. If you truly believe none of this matters, well, then you must be the God of snowboarding. God might not need or want all this tech, but us mere mortals do.

3) This is the most important fact... This is a public Internet forum about snowboarding with specific gear categories that exist for the exact purpose of which you are telling people not to do. If you are sick of people obsessing over gear, then avoid the gear sections instead of putting them down.

4) You might be too good to give good gear advice, but there are plenty of people such as myself that absolutely enjoy giving gear advice and will continue to do so.

Sorry buddy, but this thread fails.

Last edited by Leo; 11-11-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-bling View Post
There is no such thing as a perfect board. You grow and change, the snow conditions change, and technology changes. There is no board that can keep up with it all.

there is no need to stress over different boards. And there is no need to try to find the 'perfect' one. Because t doesn't exist.

So relax. stop taking up bandwith asking if complete strangers if one board will be better for you than another, based on such transitory criteria like height and weight. Its like asking people who don't know your medical history to prescribe you drugs, based on their own, narrow experiences.
Your argument is a non sequitur. It is quite true that there is no "perfect" board for anyone, nor are there perfect bindings or boots. The quest for perfect gear is indeed doomed to failure. I have made this point myself to people in the particular cases in which it seemed appropriate. It does not follow, however, that people should therefore forego all inquiries about gear, and seek no recommendations nor advice. Some research is almost always helpful before a major purchase; the fact that one cannot be 100% confident in a choice does not mean that 80% confidence is no better than 20% confidence.

A few people in any large group of this sort inevitably will display symptoms of decision paralysis -- essentially hoping someone else will make the crucial choice for them -- but the overall functioning of the forum seems pretty efficient from where I'm sitting: lots of people being provided with information that leaves them better off than they were before.

Btw, your "stop taking up bandwidth" comment is inane. This is not 1995.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-bling View Post
Kids, i know the feeling when October starts to cool off, and you get that itch to go ride. You break your gear out, and look at the damage. Cracked edges, delamming nose, core shots galore.... Time for a new board.

or maybe you borrowed a friends beater last season to start, and now you're hooked. And you are in the market for a new funstick.

Let me give you some avice

IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT MUCH. There is no such thing as a perfect board. You grow and change, the snow conditions change, and technology changes. There is no board that can keep up with it all.

There is an increadible selection of quality board nowadays, and you would really have to fukk-up bigtime to get a board that you can't ride.

And you know what? Even if you get a board that isn't that suited to you, learning to ride it will make you a stronger rider anyways. And many of the best boards i've ridden have been leftovers at the shop, or ones i got stuck with.

Take it easy, its just a piece of plastic and wood. get one, ride it, and learn for yourself what works for YOU.
1- Not all of us are kids. Not that it matters but I'm a 32 year old women asking for advice because the stores in my area SUCK. I've been boarding for 3 years now and I need two upgrade from a beginner board.

2- Is this not a forum on snowboarding with a specific section deticated for each type of gear? If you don't like the questions, don't answer the posts.

3- There is no perfect board however there are boards that are designed for different things. I live in the east and I'm often boarding on Ice and hard pack. Although as you say I COULD ride a board designed for powder, I definately think my riding experience and the enjoyment of it would be different than if I were on a board designed for the conditions that I encounter on a regular basis.

4- Get over yourself.

Last edited by DoubleT77; 11-11-2010 at 09:45 AM.
DoubleT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

You can ride any board you want to, but if your going to spend that pretty penny, why not get something that will do what you want and preform the best it can for you?

You also have to consider that most retail shops and even online stores have the vaguest motherfucking descriptions of what boards will do for you. Sure, they can give you a general idea, as in it's a snowboard and it's this long by this wide, but when your a beginner all you know is that you have heard of Burton before so that must be the only option.

Beyond that, obsessing over gear and researching stuff is a big part of the fun in purchasing. For people who aren't rich, buying a snowboard is a big investment, and they want to make sure they don't screw up. It's true that within a certain guideline you can't screw up that much, but like I said before why not get exactly what you are looking for.

Also, even though the, "What Board?" question gets redundant considering people can look at other peoples threads, I'm always willing to give my 2cents to help out a new boarder or someone who just doesn't know much about something.

It's a forum, a place for obsessive internet geeks to consult each other on their obsessions.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

OP - I've asked the "which board" question on here once. That is what this forum is for. If it were up to you and that question wasn't allowed, what types of posts would you expect to see? The reason I ask that question here is because, like the progression of the sport, all the shops here are heavily focused on park/urban/jib/freestyle riding. May of them don't even stock anything over a 160, which at 6'4", 200 lbs is too small for what I want. If I go to a local shop I'll get a suggestion of Capita, Skate Banana, etc. While I'm not disputing the quality of the board and the performance, they are entirely too soft for what I want. I ask questions on boards here because, unlike local shops in my area, people here freeride and love powder, and wont suggest the newest most tecky jibstick, whether it fits my riding style or not.
kingkoajmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rooster King

All of you talking shit to the OP are idiots.

AntiBling is %100 right... i will add that 80% + of the people on this forum are complete posers. you might snowboard a little bit - but you are not a snowboarder. if you don't know or can't comprehend the difference then fuck you - you aren't worth my time to explain it

fuck all these goddamn idiots who are buying a brand new board every year so they can ride less than 20 days on the fucking thing. i don't give a fuck what board you buy, and neither does anyone else and you suck shit anyway.

if you go ride enough you will understand how these things work and you won't have to ask stupid questions to strangers begging for approval.

fuck all of you bitches. why isn't it snowing???
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm starting to think Shredlife posts these types of things because he's bored

That was a lot of hate in one post.