Buying from your local shop - any deals usually?share! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying from your local shop - any deals usually?share!

So i was gonna buy my set from a local shop that carries NS when he told me that if i paid all cash he'd just forget the taxes or if bought boots board binding or a combo of the 3 he knock off a % it was like $900 for NS board + flux sf45 bindings when it should be $970 he says (CDN btw).

I've visted many sites and the prices have always been the same across the board. is there a huge markup differnce in MSRP and retail? do you guys usually just pay retail price or try to work in some kinda deal in and usually what can you expect? cause its going to come out to $1300CDN for my whole set i dont mind it but if i can save a few bucks here or there or get free mittens or w/e im all for it.

so share your "techniques" at getting these deals or bargains. and yes i know you should support your local shop and not be cheap but you know what? if my local shop cares about my money and gives me freebies guess whose gonna come back and buy again and recommened to friends. so yeah.
fanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The local shop I go to for my kids stuff (Ski Celler and Snowboard) is pretty good, they do no GST on purchases for season's pass holders, and on kids stuff, you get 50% back on trade in when they outgrow it.

Unfortunately, they don't carry anything I like for myself, they have become very much a Burton shop now, they used to carry a lot more, but now 80% of their snowboard gear is Burton.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Now that the accursed resale price maintenance appears to be in effect almost everywhere, the base price for 2010-11 gear is exactly the same both online and at my local shop. When the discounts finally do arrive, they will hit much earlier and deeper online. I just purchased new, 2009-10 bindings, boots, and pants online at about 50% off the list prices. My local shop wouldn't even come close to those prices.

For a new board, however, I have to buy a current model to get the tech I want. This means that right now, the only difference between the shop price and the online price is the 7% sales tax, since all the online retailers seem to offer free delivery. I'd like to buy local if I can, assuming the shop has the right board (last time I checked, they had the model but not the size). I may ask them if they can throw in a small freebie like free hot waxes or something like that. There's really no leverage to be more aggressive than that.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanshu View Post
is there a huge markup differnce in MSRP and retail?
Are you trying to compare the MSRP in US dollars against your local retail shop's retail price in Canadian dollars? That's absurd. There's no correlation. Try calling these guys HO Sports Canada They are listed as the Canadian distributor for NS.

I buy both local and online. I just bought a 2010 TRS and SPi for 40% off, prices would have worked out the same if I bought online from the states.
hpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now is probably the worst possible time to buy if you're looking for a deal. All of last year's boards are long sold out. And no one is going to budge much on a new board. If you have a setup you can ride for the next few months, you can find stuff 40-60% off late in the season.

If you don't have a board, you could buy that locally and try to find last year's bindings at a discount online. Same goes for boots, but you'd want to try them on in a store first to make sure they fit. (I wouldn't do this in a local mom and pop store, but I was ok doing it at REI where I've dropped way too much $$$ over the years.)
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

eastern boarder on the east coast will give u the hook up! been getting hooked up by these dudes since the mid 90s!
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
So i was gonna buy my set from a local shop that carries NS when he told me that if i paid all cash he'd just forget the taxes
Can a merchant just "forget the taxes" in Canada? Is it not a legal obligation to charge sales tax when applicable?
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

store still pays their end of the taxes... they just give an equivalent discount

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
So i was gonna buy my set from a local shop that carries NS when he told me that if i paid all cash he'd just forget the taxes or if bought boots board binding or a combo of the 3 he knock off a % it was like $900 for NS board + flux sf45 bindings when it should be $970 he says (CDN btw).

I've visted many sites and the prices have always been the same across the board. is there a huge markup differnce in MSRP and retail? do you guys usually just pay retail price or try to work in some kinda deal in and usually what can you expect? cause its going to come out to $1300CDN for my whole set i dont mind it but if i can save a few bucks here or there or get free mittens or w/e im all for it.

so share your "techniques" at getting these deals or bargains. and yes i know you should support your local shop and not be cheap but you know what? if my local shop cares about my money and gives me freebies guess whose gonna come back and buy again and recommened to friends. so yeah.
just see if u can haggle him down a bit and if u can get him to go lower get him to throw more in
Jud_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stay Strapped

Well the canadian dollar is at parity... but not like we'd know looking at local shop prices. At this rate, I've been supporting my locals with everything except the board purchase itself.. I'm not paying 2-3 times the prices so they can laugh all the way to the bank