First new board in awhile... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First new board in awhile...

I've spent a couple hours researching online, but still a bit confused...

Weight: 170lbs
Height: 5'10"
Boot size: Vans size 11 (although I feel they might be 1/2 size too small)
Riding style: Mostly freeriding, but hopefully start riding the park a bit more (primarily jumps/not rails)
Your location of riding: probably 2/3 Cypress (Vancouver) and 1/3 Whistler

I currently have a 2004 Salomon 154 Prospect with Drake SS bindings. I'd say I've been an intermediate rider for awhile... don't get out too much, but got a season pass for this year and hoping to go out a few nights a week at least.

I guess I'm looking for a freeride board leaning towards the freestyle side of the spectrum.

Should I look for a mid-wide board? Something like a Neversummer Legacy 156? Was also considering the Lib Tech T Rice boards as they seem to have good reviews.

There's quite a few local shops, so I have a good selection of boards and no real budget.

Thanks!
luckboxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

The legacy would be a great option. A smokin superpark of Buck Ferton would be a good fit too.
The rocker on them is pretty similar and the best do everything option I've ridden.
Mysticfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

wow, those prospects were already pretty flexy boards, but a 154 at your weight was really pushing it.

I'm also 170 lbs and ride a bataleon riot 155 as my everyday board. It's stiff enough for all mountain, but is a true twin and ollies good for park and stuff. I also have an undisputed 163 for powder days...it's great.

The jam and omni are basically their one board quiver killers.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the help!

Is 155-156 what I should be looking for? I heard you can get away with a shorter board with the rocker/camber boards. Also, can I get away with a regular width board or would you recommended something wider?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, you'll need a mid-wide or wide. The T.Rice or Legacy are both good options. Can't go wrong with either, so pick one and go ride!
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

how many years riding?
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

10 years I guess... But probably only averaging 3 or 4 days a year, but hopefully much more often this season.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

3 or 4 days a year and you live near Blackcomb? WTF

Rice 157 is a mid wide and it would suit you good. Just move the bindings back if it's a big powder day.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Only been here for one winter and the last one was kinda lacking in snow when I was around... definitely taking full advantage this year.

I'm kinda leaning towards a Never Summer now... is the Heritage 158 a good idea? Seems like that should be wide enough (25.3)... or am I wrong? I'm not going to be in the park a ton and we're supposed to get tons of snow... I see the Legacy (156 or 159???) is more on the freestyle side of the spectrum. Which way to go?

Feel totally lost with this stuff. I'll probably just pick that up this weekend in order to get riding, unless it's a bad idea.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Heres my opinion on the matter. First off as far as length and your weight I would go 156, It will be great for the mountain, tricking offf everything and going into the park (since you wanna hit jumps). Secondly get a rocker , which it seems like your leaning towards. thirdly get a true twin or A symetrical twin, this alows you freedom anywhere you ride. riding switch will be easier. If it helps im around 5'11 1/2(serious a 1/2) and 175lbs.I ride a 156w gnu Park Pickle. Check it out if your looking for a do All board , dont let the name fool you its great everywhere. Also wides may have a slower toe to heel transition but they are great for stomping out jumps and landings.

If you need anyother help pm me.
BMORE410 is offline   Reply With Quote