ESTs to the best of my ability. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation ESTs to the best of my ability.

Ok so I've been seeing quite a few questions about the ESTs... How do they work? I don't get how you're supposed to set em up... So I thought I'd make a little thread with some pictures...
channel copy.jpg
So here is "the channel" it is a metal lined trench that is under the top layer of the snowboard.
channelzoom.jpg
You can see the space under the top sheet opens up with only a narrow opening at the top.
tbolts.jpg
These are the "T-Bolts" given with the board which you will use to mount the EST bindings to your stick. They are a heavy gauge metal and have grips on the top to prevent sliding once in use.
fit.jpg
The shape of the channel allows the "T-Bolts" to slide in under the metal lined top sheet.
inboard.jpg
Once the end is placed back on the Channel the bolts cannot fall out.
rail.jpg
Now lets check out some EST Binders. As you can see all the mounting hardware is located on the outside of the frame consisting of a metal rail on both sides. This leaves the base open and able to be filled with Burton's footbed, supporting foam which allows the board to flex under the binding.
sitting.jpg
Once you line up the binding with the T-Bolts the bindings will sit flush on the board and are ready to get the other half of the screws put on.
twist.jpg
twist2.jpg
You can see how by not tightening the 2 screws you are allowed to twist the bindings around the 2 points of contact. Giving you a wide variety of free range of positions.
window.jpg
Finally to make adjusting your stance quicker they included a window in the footbed which has a "flap" in the channel to indicate your stance angle and allows you to adjust how wide your stance it.

I know this is very brief but I hope it helps shine some light on it for any of you with questions!
Puggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, thank you vey much. That was very helpful. I have one question though. Are EST bindings the only ones that work with the channel? And/or can you use other bindings with boards that have the channel?
Thanks again
Funkyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes and No... they are the only ones designed for the channel... However, if you buy a Channel board through Burton they do give you the option to include an M9 or M6 one or the other I can't remember... anyways it's called a transition plate which will fit in the bottom of any tradition disk binding... Most shops and online retailers have the option to order one for free..
M6 Transition Kit | Burton Snowboards
note that these plates won't allow the same "window" tech stuff and won't give you the cushioned base feel... but if that's not an issue for you than that is the other option... good luck!
Puggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

very nice guide.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Awesome guide with very good pictures. I vote sticky!

Side Note: Nice to see you posting again Jmcphee. Never realized that you are in Detroit.

We have probably crossed paths many times at Holly.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
TLN

wanna see the binding without footbed. hot does it looks with base naked?
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote