Did I make a mistake buying a Slayblade? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I make a mistake buying a Slayblade?

After doing some research I took the plunge and bought a K2 Slayblade 163 Wide but now I'm starting to have second thoughts after reading this review on K2's website:
Quote:
Comments about K2 Snowboarding Slayblade Wide:

Please keep in mind that this review is to those who are interested in a Slayblade WIDE only (not the regular width) and weigh over 190lbs!

I heard so much about this board that I was really excited to get on one and ride it since it has received a ton of press. I finally got a chance to demo one and.....

First impression:
The board was stable....the flatline felt new and fairly balanced but I had to re-train myself on how I popped Ollies - surprisingly as wet cardboard as this board felt to pop, the landing gear was surprisingly nice and had a lot of forgiveness if you didn't land spot on...which I found to be good but also a bit of a weird balance in the board.

As I kept riding:
To my disappointment - I found this board to lack some serious Liveliness, and way too soft especially for a wide board that is not intended to be a Park/Jib deck. If you like the snap that you would normally get from a camber board - the WIDE version of this board feels a bit like wet cardboard.

The biggest issue with Wides is that they are often - just stiff decks that don't turn well - the common lame trend in boards for us Yetis.

However:
If you are a size 13 bearprint and weighed 175lbs, and liked a softer deck, you'd be fine
- but if are a typical wide footed Yeti like myself 6'3" 215lbs, you will NOT like this deck.

Bottom Line:
Caddy cruiser: fast & Stable for groomers
Flatline: on the wide version takes some getting used to....but I found that I got used to the Jib Rocker without re-thinking how to ride.
Nice: if you like a soft board - but $$$$ for a wide park board (K2 has many other Wide park decks that would save you some $$)
If you have ridden a Zeppelin Wide or a Titan and like the way it felt - this board is NOT for you!
For guys above 190lbs - the wide version of the Slayblade is much too soft and lacks some serious OOMPH......

I rode the Parkstar Wide after this deck at the Demo and found Master Parkstar Wide to be much more versatile that I ever expected....which made the Slayblade rate pretty low.
I am 6', ~200lbs and wear a 10.5 boot; is this board going to be disappoint me? I do all mountain riding, some powder (when the NE gets dumped on or when I travel out west) but for the most part I bomb the groomers.

Will this board be awful at popping ollies like this review is saying?

Should I have gone with a regular (not wide) board?

I was considering a Ride Antic and a K2 Turbo Dream; did I make the right choice for my size and riding style?

SantaCruz163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

That board is much too wide for you and will probably feel like turning a truck. Exchange it if you can; do not get a wide board.
DBLdangerTILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Why do people read reviews AFTER buying gear? Just ride it. You obviously had a reason for buying it. It a snowboard, it will be fine... If its too soft you are gonna have to lose weight hehe.

Seriously, why did you buy a wide board for size 10.5 boots???
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

hope u bought from BC so u can return it after trying it!!
Volcom Variable Jacket
BEC61408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Because on my boots would overhang on my old Santa Cruz board and I just figured I needed a wide.

Now I'm thinking about a regular Turbo Dream.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That guy called it soft wtf is he a sasquatch that thing is stiff as fuck and designed for hard charging.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruz163 View Post
Because on my boots would overhang on my old Santa Cruz board and I just figured I needed a wide.

Now I'm thinking about a regular Turbo Dream.
Most boots will overhang a bit, but since they are up high they won't drag while carving. Only if you fly off because they actually drag when you carve on groomers, then you need a wide board.

Hope you can exchange it.
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was able to cancel my order since it's the weekend and nothing was shipped, so that is a relief.

Now, I need to make a decision on what board to go with; Ride Antic, K2 Turbo Dream or K2 Slayblade. I'm leaning towards to the Antic which was my original choice. Does anyone have input on these boards?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruz163 View Post
Now, I need to make a decision on what board to go with; Ride Antic, K2 Turbo Dream or K2 Slayblade. I'm leaning towards to the Antic which was my original choice. Does anyone have input on these boards?
I have a Decade, which was the predecessor to the Antic. Solid board, very good for resort freeriding. Starting with 2010-11, the Antic has rocker, which prompts my main suggestion for you.

You've selected three boards with three different camber styles. The Slayblade is completely flat from contact point to contact point; the Turbo Dream is flat between the bindings with moderate rocker at both ends; and the Antic is flat between the bindings with directional rocker, i.e., moderate rocker (LowRize) at the tip, and very slight rocker (ProRize) at the tail. If you don't already know which style you prefer, maybe just go with the Antic as the middle ground. It's versatile and is designed for good performance on groomers and powder.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

To be honest, no I don't know what style I want. I've been riding a camber board for 10+ years and I'm not sure what style would best fit me. I was something that is stable at high speed, can handle the rollers and is a little playful, I do some trees and deep powder but the majority of my riding is bombing the groomers.