Big boots, big mountain boards and Kaya Scodelario... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big boots, big mountain boards and Kaya Scodelario...

I'm new but I've been having a good read around here and it's been quite helpful. I'm now hoping to get a bit of specific advice if I can.

I'm 6,1 and about 180lbs and I plan to pretty much do all my snowboarding on big groomed runs, and powder if I can find some. I'll spend less than 10% of time in the park, and that would be on jumps, not rails, boxes etc. Carving big turns and zig-zagging down steep runs is more fun for me.

So after a bit of research, I've become pretty keen on either a Lib Tech TRS or a Yes Optimistic. Only problem is, I'm not sure if I'll fit my size US11.5 K2 Ryker boots on boards with widths like that. So I've also got the Lib Tech Skunk Ape on my list.

I was wondering if everyone could give me a bit of advice on which of those would suit me and my boots well (or another if you think that's what I should be looking at). I'm in Australia so I can't just rock into my local store and try out the board with my boots sadly (nor do I want to pay Australian prices when I can import from the US!).

In exchange for your help, I attach a link to a website some of you might find enjoyable
fuck yeah kaya scodelario
nosnowinqld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

i am a lot bigger than you and i rock salomon malamutes (which you should look into) in 12,5 on a board which has 25.9 waist and that is about the limit...
garavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garavac View Post
i am a lot bigger than you and i rock salomon malamutes (which you should look into) in 12,5 on a board which has 25.9 waist and that is about the limit...
Well, for the
Yes Optimistic, I'm looking at a waist width of 25.3cm for the 162
Lib Tech TRS , I'm looking at a waist width of 25.6 for the 162
Lib Tech Sunk Ape, it's a waist width of 26.8 for the 161

Now I get the feeling that 26.8 is almost a bit too much, but the low-to mid 25s is pushing it a little. Anyone will 11.5s that can shed some light?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My boots are 11.5 Celsius Cirrus boots and I picked up a 161 skunk ape this year (2nd day on it today !!) So that would be my suggestion, I still have a bit of overhang, so I don't think its a case of being to wide of a board
Chris2347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2347 View Post
My boots are 11.5 Celsius Cirrus boots and I picked up a 161 skunk ape this year (2nd day on it today !!) So that would be my suggestion, I still have a bit of overhang, so I don't think its a case of being to wide of a board
skunk apes are wides anyways. I ride a skate banana with a 26.5 waist and it's PERFECT (I have 11's btw). you can pretty much go down to about 25.6 ish for the minimum waist width without the overhang becoming an issue
Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatebanana101 View Post
skunk apes are wides anyways. I ride a skate banana with a 26.5 waist and it's PERFECT (I have 11's btw). you can pretty much go down to about 25.6 ish for the minimum waist width without the overhang becoming an issue
With the extra cm or so from the 11.5s, and I guess I'd be pushing it a little too far on a 25.6?

I'm not sure how wide a stance width I'm going to set up either, so that could make a difference too.