EHarmony for Snowboards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EHarmony for Snowboards

Hello,

I'm a noob around these parts, I've been doing research the past week to try to narrow down a few options and was hoping for some input from others on what might be the best option for me. I'm 6 foot, 180-185 lbs w/ a size 11-11.5 boot. I've been riding for awhile so I'm on the relatively advanced side.I pretty much ride just the east coast (NH, ME & occasionally VT). I really like charging all mountain terrain more then the park, but I do like popping off natural features, pressing & buttering around occasionally. My old board was a Burton Retro Twin 155 that I loved and felt really comfortable on. Even though it was probably too small I could charge with it and although it didn't absorb the chop completely it never felt squirrelly or twitchy and I always felt in control. Unfortunately, one day while riding Wildcat I let it out of my site for all of a minute and it was gone Off the advise of someone I know I was recommended a Park Pickle and happened to find one at the right price at the end of the season....but the things I love about it don't out weigh some of the things I don't. First off, it's a 159, I think I should have went with the 156. Second, when charging (especially flat based) it can get really squirrelly (especially in spring chop) not sure if others have experienced this...and I also found it slow, although I should have waxed it I have since found that factory wax is pretty shite. The things I do love was its ability carve in all conditions (C2 & mag), its ability to pop, butter and press.

So I basically would like a board that can charge hard but is still reasonably playful w/ lots of pop

Some research has pointed me to the NS SL-R (have heard and read nothing but great stuff), Burton Custom X (great board but more expensive and less poppy then the SL-R), Banana Magic (can get last years model for a great deal but heard its not that poppy & not sure about it's charging stability), Ride Machete (as it would be most like my Retro Twin), Ride Highlife (might be too freeride focused based on research) and the Lib TRS.

I also have read contradicting things about rocker/camber, some say to ride 2-3 cm smaller do to larger contact radius, others say it gives you the ability make a longer board feel shorter more playful. Any input on this as well would be most appreciated, thanks!
Rick Moranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Moranis View Post
Hello,

I'm a noob around these parts, I've been doing research the past week to try to narrow down a few options and was hoping for some input from others on what might be the best option for me. I'm 6 foot, 180-185 lbs
Cut the crap -- we know you're only six inches tall, Rick!

Quote:
I also have read contradicting things about rocker/camber, some say to ride 2-3 cm smaller do to larger contact radius, others say it gives you the ability make a longer board feel shorter more playful. Any input on this as well would be most appreciated, thanks!
The best advice I've seen on this question -- advice that I have followed -- is not to worry about calculating possible camber-based length differentials. Just use the traditional approach of identifying the options that would be a comfortable fit, based on your weight, and then select from that range based on the type of riding you plan to do. That is, for park-oriented riding, choose a shorter board from your "appropriate" list; for all-mountain riding, choose a length that's right in the middle of the range; and for pure freeriding, choose a longer board.

Btw, I suggest the Ride DH2.4, which is the board I went for after a lot of research myself. Check out the reviews on the Ride forum if you want details.

Last edited by JoeR; 11-30-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added recommendation
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All fine boards, i have a SL-R from 09 and its still my only board.
I'd recommend you stick with a 155-156 if thats what your used too, you dont really need to size them up or down. With rocker typically you can do things with a shorter board that would normally require a longer board to do as well.

I wouldnt dream of taking a 151 cambered board into 2 feet of powder, legs would be on fire. Yet i glide through it like nothing on my SL-R. Im sure its the same with the others as well using some form of Rocker/Camber
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Btw, I suggest the Ride DH2.4, which is the board I went for after a lot of research myself. Check out the reviews on the Ride forum if you want details.
I did read some reviews, it appears there is a DH2.5 as well w/ the same specs just different graphics. It appears to me more park/freestyle focused then say the SL-R or the Custom....do you find it stable at speeds? flat-based? How is the pop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
All fine boards, i have a SL-R from 09 and its still my only board.
I'd recommend you stick with a 155-156 if thats what your used too, you dont really need to size them up or down. With rocker typically you can do things with a shorter board that would normally require a longer board to do as well.

I wouldnt dream of taking a 151 cambered board into 2 feet of powder, legs would be on fire. Yet i glide through it like nothing on my SL-R. Im sure its the same with the others as well using some form of Rocker/Camber
I've noticed that the rocker/camber is an asset when using shorter boards in pow, however where I ride (east coast) there is a lot more ice than powder.

Any other opinions on a poppy, stable, fast but somewhat playful board for the ice coast?
Rick Moranis is offline   Reply With Quote