Flying V or not? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flying V or not?

A 2011 Burton custom is a potential board I'm looking to buy. I'm not much of a park boarder but have heard that Burton's flying V flex is very versatile. Should I get the flying V or traditional camber?

Thanks
Funkyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want a CustomX, Flying V is the only way to go.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
If you want a CustomX, Flying V is the only way to go.
He meant if you want a Custom, not CustomX (posi camber).

And I agree, if you go with a Custom, Flying V should be your only option. Great board and it is indeed very versatile. Word of caution, it's going to feel really different when you first step on it. Ride it out and you'll find the awesomeness

Burton Custom Flying V Snowboard 2011
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i have a 162 wide and took it out for my first day on a slope in two seasons last week. {knee and shoulder surgeries each november} coming off a 167 Burton baron i was absolutelty amazed with the board,light, responsive, holds an edge{although it was powder for days} yet can spin effortlessly and did i say very good in pow, i did set my stance back a bit and having the ics channel is great for quick on mountain adjustments. i thought it had good pop, i didnt take it into the park but i think it's a great all mountain freestyle board {SO FAR}

Last edited by neveo; 12-03-2010 at 01:40 PM.
neveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

So even if I'm the type of rider that rarely ever to never goes to the park, you guys would still recommend the flying v? Is it stable on carves and at high speeds?

Thanks for the advice so far
Funkyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

i too couldnt decide between the flying v and the camber. i ended up going with the camber because camber will always have alot more pop which is useful for jumps and will hold better at higher speed riding.
slzr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyhog View Post
So even if I'm the type of rider that rarely ever to never goes to the park, you guys would still recommend the flying v? Is it stable on carves and at high speeds?

Thanks for the advice so far
The Flying V didn't give me any stability issues and I ride in the Ice coast. Although our mountains here aren't big by any means, the steep sections regardless of the length of the run are steep nonetheless. I took it down runs like these a few times and it held up. Will it hold up as good as a cambered version? No, but the difference really isn't enough to forgo the benefits of the Flying V. First of all, the Fly V shape is going to provide you with much better float in the powder. Secondly, the Fly V will be more playful for when you want to mess around when you aren't maching down steeps. Third, it is more forgiving meaning you will have less edge catches.

For pure versatility, the Flying V wins hands down. For straight stability and pop, the positive cambered wins, but not hands down. The Flying V is stable enough with more than enough pop.

If you are looking for super damp board, you shouldn't even be looking at the Custom anyway. The Custom X will be a much better board for maching down runs. There are also a plethora of other brands that offer hybrid/rockered snowboards that are mid-stiff to stiff that will handle speeds and steeps better than the Custom.

The main contributing factor for stability is stiffness. Other brands like Ride and K2 add tech to their rockered decks to add stability like Slimewalls and Harshmellow respectively.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was in the shop the other day and had a look at the Custom flying V and a Sherlock, which also uses the flying V profile.

The Custom was a bit stiffer but felt absolutely dead to flex. The Sherlock had heaps of spring in it and based on what I am reading is a much more fun board to ride. I am strongly considering replacing my Traditional Custom with a Sherlock. It looks like an even better all round board.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

go flying v or any rocker type for easier boarding
QueenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I picked up my 11 flying V and for the mist part, it's a real sweet ride. I did however encounter some squirliness when bombing an icy steep. I know it's not what it's intended to do but it got dicey. I guess I'm just used to my CustomX. All in all, it's a fucking sweet board, but it's still a rocker
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote