Need help finding/setting-up a board for a friend. (shorter female) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

female Need help finding/setting-up a board for a friend. (shorter female)

My friend is thinking about getting into snowboarding, and I was going to try to help her out. The only problem is that I don't really have any idea how to go about it for someone her size. Here are her stats:

Height: 5'2"
Weight: 100lbs
Shoe (not sure what boot size yet): Women's 6

When we were at the board shop, a 134 came to right about her nose. Since I'm not sure how strong her legs will be, would it be best to get a board around 129 or so? I know it varies depending on uses and the type of board, but I'm just looking for a rough place to start. Also, what's the best way to decide goofy or regular? (we did the push/falling test and she stepped forward with each foot) I had planned on setting her up duck 12/-12 so that she could just see which feels better; any better ideas? Any help with this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Another method for figuring goofy/regular is have her slide on a slick surface, see which foot she puts forward.

Also if you have a skateboard, you can put her on it and see which way seems more comfortable. Honestly if you're new to board-sports you can end up being either goofy or regular, it just depends which one you pick and stick with.

setting her up with a True-Duck-stance would pretty much duplicate the skateboard trick on a snowboard, duck-stance is also sometimes easier for beginners.

Dunno about the board size, not too much experience with women's boards. Sounds like she is pretty small though.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not too sure what boards to sugggest but my girlfriend who is about 5'4" and 120 pounds rides a 148! although she is a hard charging groomer rider mainly but she loves that size so i would say around 135-140 would be good yes for a beginner, dont go by where it stands on her though, go by her weight, height and what type of riding she will be doing.
thats my 2 cents
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, guys. The board size still has me wondering though; if she doesn't have very strong legs/core muscles, it will be harder for her to handle a larger board, right?

I had never received any advice when I bought my first board and had some difficulty at first. It didn't really bug me much because I'm a stubborn ass, but I don't want to give her some bad advice and have her hating the sport before she gets a good chance to learn. I'm guessing we'll just try something a bit shorter with some flex and a smaller waist (if such a board exists) and see how she does on it. Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

In this case I definitely agree with grabbing a board that's on the small end of the spectrum rather then larger. Guy's ussually don't have too many problems with muscling a board around, but I've heard for smaller females having too big/stiff of a board can turn the thing into a 2x4 for them.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry to drag this on, but I just thought about something I hadn't considered before: Will a board for her size struggle-bus in powder? For the most part she'll be doing hard-packed, but there will probably be a trip to some powder later on in the season. Maybe a rocker would be able to compensate for the shorter size?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

a rocker board will definitely help out in powder, many of the rocker/hybrid camber boards will also allow you to go with a smaller size, I'm 5'7 145lbs and ride a 151 NeverSummer Evo, and I'm amazed at how well it rides in powder.

If you find your nose is diving, you can also use a stance setback which will put more weight in the back-seat and raise your front. A 1-2 inch setback should be enough.

Last edited by HoboMaster; 12-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

my wife is 5' and 100 lbs, maybe 105.... she rides a rosignol 139 and will not switch for anything.. she has been riding it for 4 years now and loves it. she has roxy boots size 6 and burton bindings.....
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

i'll go against the grain and say go longer

im 130lbs and ride a Never summer raptor 159 and 158 heritage
vslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am 5 feet tall, 110 pounds. My boards have always been between 141 and 145, although the 145 felt a bit too long for everything but powder and chop. I would go in the high 130s to low 140s range for her. I wouldn't go anywhere a 129 - that's ridiculously small. Remember that board length is based more on height and riding style than on height.

It will also help to get her a softer board to start on, especially since she has smaller feet. A softer board will be easier to flex and turn.

I definitely recommend reverse camber boards for more versatility on the mountain.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote