Board Sizing Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Sizing Help

Sup everyone,

My lady is planning to buy a new snowboard for the season (hers is 6 years old) and needed some help with what size she should get. She's about 5'0 and 110 pounds. She's mainly gonna be riding groomers and hit the park up occasionally. Currently she's riding a 152, and I feel that's way too big for her. She's having trouble controlling her board. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by deeohwhy; 12-06-2010 at 01:54 PM.
deeohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

All the ladies that ride with our group are in the 145 range and their similar in ht/wt.
ptapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptapia View Post
All the ladies that ride with our group are in the 145 range and their similar in ht/wt.
Have they been riding a while? I posted a thread today that is basically wondering the same thing as the OP. It's for a 5' 100lbs beginner though.
Clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My wife is the same measurements. She rides a 141 Burton Lux. Here's the thing, I'm going to give you a general range to look at, but you should consult the specific board's spec sheet. It's a good idea to look for a size where her weight falls in the middle of that weight range for all-purpose. My wife is on the low end of her board's weight range, but she doesn't mind because she likes the playfulness of that size more.

Each board, even within the same brand, will have different weight ranges for a given length. For example, a 141 Burton Lux will support a different weight range than a 141 Burton Feelgood (this is just an example, I have not looked to see if it is actually a fact for these two specific models).

Also remember to look at the boot size accommodations of each board. You don't want to put her on a board that supports her weight, but is too wide or narrow for her feet.

I'll also give you a basic rundown on board flex:

Soft - Medium - Stiff
Freestyle - All-Mountain - Big Mountain Freeride/Powder/Carving
Playful - Versatile - Stable and Fast

The above are respectively.

That is a very basic rundown. Boards nowadays have a lot of tech in them so these lines get blurred. For example, a Turbo Dream is mid-stiff, but has dampening Harshmellow tech which makes it ride stiffer.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, so hopefully this helps deeohwhy as well; the question I was wondering was, if the person in question may not have strong core/leg muscles, is it better to get a smaller board with a bit more flex? (so long as it meets her weight requirements obviously) Or is the difference in controlling board size pretty much based on skill as compared to muscle? I'm only considering freeride on hard-packed and occasional powder at this point and no park.
Clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well, womens snowboards naturally flex softer compared to their male counterparts. However, snowboarding does require core strength and leg strength. Skill does play the biggest role though. Put it this way, an experienced rider, male or female, can compensate for any type of board regardless of strength. I mean, maybe if they are exceptionally weak it might affect them. Besides, the very act of snowboarding is going to increase her core and leg strength, as well as increase muscle stamina.

I wouldn't buy a softer board strictly because I think I'm too weak for a stiffer one. That is not a good way to shop for the right board.

On the same note, all leg strength is really going to do is enable someone to be able to do tricks better. Like jumping, pressing, etc... general turning, carving, and snowboarding in general really has more to do with balance and technique. There are little nuances where leg muscles are going to help out like when you want to snap out of turns to pick up speed. The stronger you are, the more power you are going to have to push out of a turn. Something tells me that your girlfriend isn't looking to do this type of riding though

Muscle stamina > strength
Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorox View Post
Have they been riding a while? I posted a thread today that is basically wondering the same thing as the OP. It's for a 5' 100lbs beginner though.
Yes, one girl has several years of experience and is a very good all mtn rider.

I think the majority would agree that sizing down is a good thing for beginners: easier to manipulate the board and initiate turns.
ptapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

OP: I am the exact same size as your lady and I have ridden boards between 141 and 145 The 145 felt a bit too long for everything but powder and chop. A 152 sounds pretty insane to me, especially for groomers.

A more important factor than leg strength is foot size. If she has small feet, her toes will not reach the toe edge of the board and she will have a hard time applying the proper pressure to that edge of the board to initiate a turn. That means she will need a torsionally soft board.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for all the input guys.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, so the board she wants only comes in 115, 125, 135, and 145. What size do you think she should get? Either the 135 or 145? (she's 5'0)