Stores: Buying gear for the first time - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stores: Buying gear for the first time

Hey everyone, so I recently moved to the east coast in Maryland near the D.C. area and was looking into investing in some gear for the first time. Since this is my first go around for things, I was looking at going into an actual store to get some hands-on advice. I'm looking at going to this store called Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling, VA and was wondering if anyone had dealt with them before. Thanks peeps!
ltdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

shop online.

if you watch close enough u can get some wicked deals.
whiskeymilitia.com
steapandcheap.com

there's some decent outlet type shops online too.. save some $$$
Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

theres a shop in frederick called pitcrew. its downtown on i believe market street. its a very cool shop and theyre pretty helpful.
will3554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I haven't dealt with that store, but I have some advice for you...

Start off by asking them what board size is good for you. If they say something like, "Anything between your neck and nose" or "One that reaches to your chin," don't listen to any other advice they give you. In fact, walk out of there, come back here and ask for advice, then go back to the store and make your purchase.

Or you can take the easy route and just ask for advice on here and go into the store more educated.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I agree with oneshot for the most part. Some things I won't buy online however. Boots being the main one, nothing beats being able to try them on before you buy. I'm that same way with outwear and helmets, like to try them on first.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alpine ski in sterling is a good shop. Typically when you go in there you will find one of the two owners there working. I have not dealt with them a lot, but my brother and all his friends have dealt with the shop in buying plenty of gear. They are straight shooters. I have not confirmed, but heard that they send their workers out for training when they hire them, so they get to know all the gear and information.

Another shop that is big in the area is Ski Chalet, there is one in gaithersburg maryland.
volboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah for the most part, I figure I would get my boots instore and go from there as per reading the recommendations. I've gone boarding once and had a hell of a good time and since I moved out here, I figure I'd take advantage of it and invest in some gear and go more often. In regards to boards and whatnot, I just feel completely overwhelmed by choices so get ready for a flurry of questions coming up.

Since I am still new at this, I'm guessing starting out with an all mountain board. Any recommendations on some good boards as well as bindings?
What about actually mounting the bindings? Is it something I can do myself or would it be better to have someone do it for me?
I guess another big question would be about the size of the board I should get? Some physical attributes here: 125lbs, 5'6", size 8 1/2 - 9 shoe depending on the brand.

Thanks again

@Volboy: Yea, I've heard really good things about Alpine which is why I wanted to go there as opposed to another store.

Edit per Volvoy: For board and bindings, I'm looking at a budget of around $400, max of $500.

Last edited by ltdinh; 12-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think the first thing you need to throw out there is what kind of a budget you are working with, that will factor into anybody's response on what you should get. I would also give your riding experience and if you have any preferences in board type, like camber versus rocker. I just bought some gear and read up a bunch on types of equipment and technology.

Buying a set of boots in person is a good idea. Those are pretty important and making sure you have the right fit is a good thing. The rest of the gear you can find plenty of deals online for.
volboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volboy23 View Post
Another shop that is big in the area is Ski Chalet, there is one in gaithersburg maryland.
2nd on the boys at Ski Chalet.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Any suggestions?