Machete or Travis Rice or Nothing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Machete or Travis Rice or Nothing

Hey everyone

So I'm thinking about getting a new board. I currently have a Lib Tech Trs MTX 154 from 3 years ago. I just wanted to check with all of you whether or not now would be a good time to upgrade or if I should wait another season or two. Does the reverse Camber and all that new tech make that big of a difference from my current board? Right now I'm leaning towards the Lib Tech T Rice or Ride Machete but am open to suggestions. I also am trying to decide between 153 and 157 but I think 153 is better for me.

Height: 5-7
Weight:155
Boot size: 9-9.5
riding preference: Right now I like to cruise down the mountain and do some ground tricks and small to medium jumps. I've done some rails and boxes but they are not what I enjoy most. I may try and go into rails a bit more this year

EDIT:

Last edited by Chriskot; 12-07-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Additional info
Chriskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is your board traditional camber? Thats the only thing that I could see being a major change. The change in random tech probably wouldn't make a huge difference.
Xelorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vote goes for the T.Rice. I have the machete and t.rice and T.rice feels way better (at least for me). I ride the 153 t.rice and I'm 5'5" 152lbs. I think you should go with the 153 if you like doing ground tricks and 157 if you charge more and ride powder often.
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

because i am a fanboy of the machete - take it
matan676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Machete and T.Rice are two very different boards. The Machete is a much better freestyle board while the T.Rice is a much better all-mountain board. Both are geared towards all-mountain freestyle with the Machete being more freestyle and T.Rice being more all-mountain.

The T.Rice is considerably stiffer than the Machete and is stiffer than your TRS. The Machete is a bit softer than the TRS.

153 in T.Rice or 155 in Machete for you.

Oh, both boards are good in powder. I personally think the T.Rice is better suited to your style. If you plan on getting heavy with the freestyle, then Machete.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hmmm, I thought the T.Rice is not that much stiffer than the Machete (I have the 155) overall Leo. It is much stiffer underfoot though.
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip11 View Post
Hmmm, I thought the T.Rice is not that much stiffer than the Machete (I have the 155) overall Leo. It is much stiffer underfoot though.
On my own scale of 10, I rate the T.Rice as an 8 and the Machete as a 6.

2011 models of course. I was 175lbs when I demoed the 157 T.Rice and 158 Machete.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I rode my T.Rice for the fist time this last weekend and loved it. I'm bigger than you (6'4", 200) and ride the 164.5. It is a stiff board that handeled all the speed I could throw at it. I don't know if the flex pattern is different on the blunt tip models, but for me it wouldn't be the board I would choose for throwing ground tricks. After one trip on my T.Rice I think my NS SL (a board which tons of people here are hard for) will stay shelved for most of the season. I haven't ridden the machete. I think if you wanna cruise or hit jumps go with the T.Rice. If you wanna do more on the ground and rails, the T.Rice isn't as suited for that IMO.
kingkoajmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Machete and T.Rice are two very different boards. The Machete is a much better freestyle board while the T.Rice is a much better all-mountain board. Both are geared towards all-mountain freestyle with the Machete being more freestyle and T.Rice being more all-mountain.

The T.Rice is considerably stiffer than the Machete and is stiffer than your TRS. The Machete is a bit softer than the TRS.

153 in T.Rice or 155 in Machete for you.

Oh, both boards are good in powder. I personally think the T.Rice is better suited to your style. If you plan on getting heavy with the freestyle, then Machete.
Thanks a ton for all the replies. You all have been really helpful and I'm starting to get a good sense of what I should get.

I am thinking now maybe I should go with the machete which would make the boards I have more versatile. I'd have the trs for all mountain days but if I wanted to work on ground tricks and stuff the machete would be good while still giving me the decent all mountain ride I like. I've also heard that regular camber boards are better at high speeds which would mean the trs would still be good for cruising

Would you say this is a good choice?
Chriskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

the new machete, is very stable at high speeds, unfortunately i still didn't ride it (yet!!!) but it is now 20cm of me, and i can touch it but ill ride on it just on march, but take the machete for everything!

if it helps, it got 2 major awards:

1. good wood test

2. best of tests
matan676 is offline   Reply With Quote