Board advice appriciated - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board advice appriciated

hola amigos! New season = new board. Been looking around for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that I need some help. So please, give me a minute or two

I am:
A pretty strong intermediate all mnt freerider with tiny freestyle skills (360 on small jumps at the most).
6,3ft
180lbs
12size boot

With this board I want to focus on improving jibbing, jumping and "trixing", but still being able to go offpist and enjoy some powdersurfing once in a while! I dont have a price limit, but under 600usd would be nice. Im really into Lib Tech so that's a plus. Give me some advice please

Last edited by Gibbarn; 12-07-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Gibbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

get a wide board whatever you do, and for jibbing/park get a board with lower flex rating as it will be more forgiving on rails and boxes

i went with the dc pbj, only 350, and it is great for park but can handle booters too
bb6kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Burton Canyon for sure

For a big dude like you?... BURTON CANYON. im 6'1 170 and my canyon is the funnest most responsive springy-est board ive ever ridden. super wide for the big feet n the neck-deep snow but still flexible enuf for ridin boiler. you wont be disappointed with a canyon dude. i live in valdez alaska and been ridin for 21 years. the canyon is the best board ive ever been on. you asked... i answered. no libtech.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb6kid View Post
get a wide board whatever you do, and for jibbing/park get a board with lower flex rating as it will be more forgiving on rails and boxes
i went with the dc pbj, only 350, and it is great for park but can handle booters too

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider01 View Post
For a big dude like you?... BURTON CANYON. im 6'1 170 and my canyon is the funnest most responsive springy-est board ive ever ridden. super wide for the big feet n the neck-deep snow but still flexible enuf for ridin boiler. you wont be disappointed with a canyon dude. i live in valdez alaska and been ridin for 21 years. the canyon is the best board ive ever been on. you asked... i answered. no libtech.
Okey thanks alot guys. Good advices and explanations. A wide board is kinda crucial, I know Ive been looking around at my retailer but havnt found any of those boards unfortunately.

How about Jamie or Lando Phoenix,
Skate banana,
Skunk ape (or is it tooo much freeride?),
K2 Fastplant
Ride Machete
Anyone has some experiance from those boards that you want to share with me? if you were in my position what would you go for? (I do NOT live in the states or canada so my choices arent as wide yours..)

Last edited by Gibbarn; 12-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Gibbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Jamie Lynn and Lando are very similar and wont help you progress in the park one bit as they are too stiff. The Skate Banana is good and will do great in park and powder but wont perform as well freeriding. I was kinda in your position and really liked the TRS and the Attack Banana but they had the TNT base. I also really liked Mervin so i went with the Gnu Riders Choice which they make in a wide version. The Riders Choice has the C2BTX technology so it'll hold up freeriding but will still kill it in the park and has a sintered base.
ccole89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccole89 View Post
The Jamie Lynn and Lando are very similar and wont help you progress in the park one bit as they are too stiff. The Skate Banana is good and will do great in park and powder but wont perform as well freeriding. I was kinda in your position and really liked the TRS and the Attack Banana but they had the TNT base. I also really liked Mervin so i went with the Gnu Riders Choice which they make in a wide version. The Riders Choice has the C2BTX technology so it'll hold up freeriding but will still kill it in the park and has a sintered base.
Okey, good then I can exclude the phoenixes. Been thinkin about the TRS but Im afraid it wont be wide enough for me.. The T.Rice is another option but it's more freeride-oriented than any of those.. Damn, sometimes it sucks to have big feet. Will keep an eye out when/if the GNU boards is for sale, it seemed awesome and almost perfect (there is no such thing) for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

The Skunk Ape is a wide TRS. The T. Rice will prob be around the same stiffness of Phoenix series depending on what size and all. Haven't been able to get my Riders Choice out on the snow but im super stoked about it!
ccole89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccole89 View Post
The Skunk Ape is a wide TRS. The T. Rice will prob be around the same stiffness of Phoenix series depending on what size and all. Haven't been able to get my Riders Choice out on the snow but im super stoked about it!
And that brings me back to my original choice, the skunk ape. In my opinion it's too clumpsy to learn freestyle with. Hehe yea I bet you are Seems like I will have to go with intuition after all. Can't order til' the 23th so its a few weeks left stil
Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

If someone wants to bump in and throw me some more advices or comments that would be a real treat, hopefully