2011 K2 Anagram or 2011 Ride Kink - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2011 K2 Anagram or 2011 Ride Kink

Hey Guys,
I really need some help on deciding which board I should get as soon as possible?
I've been riding for 6 seasons now and consider myself good at boarding the mountain.
I've recently started playing around in the park more and prefer that to anything else.
But I don't really care too much for using boxes or rails. Just jumps/kickers.
I'm pretty decent at doing straight jumps/grabs but want to learn how to start doing 180's and 360's with those jumps. (Still need to learn to ride switch too)

So what I want to know is which one of these boards (2011 K2 Anagram or 2011 Ride Kink) I should get? And which one is better for doing these jumps?
At first I wanted the Kink ($415) but there is a deal right now for the Anagram ($255 [it's 20% off at the store I have here]) and that price point is swaying me to purchase it.
But I read it is a "beginner" board and I can say that I am far from that. Or does that even matter?
So is it worth it for me to get the Anagram & will it help me progress my park skills as well as ride the bigger mountains?
Or should I go with the Kink?

Anyone with info on this please let me know/help me ASAP.
Thanks.

EDIT: I'm 5'11 160lbs. if that helps at all.
SnowboardRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

First off I want to start by saying that I have not ridden either snowboard so I do not know how they will feel on snow.

However I can tell you that the Kink is a directional twin shape which may make riding switch a little less easy than with the Anagram which is a true twin. The kink is also softer, which will make landing bigger jumps a little squirrely. The kink is really intended to be a jib board.

The Anagram is a beginner board and it does not have the best speed. You won't be able to floor it and so if you like to race down the hill it is not the right board. Other than that I personally do not think the fact that it is a beginner board will effect you much if you just want to have fun and your riding style is more chill. The Anagram will be better on bigger jumps as it is a little stiffer.

Out of these two boards I personally would go with the Anagram for sure. I think it is better suited to what you said you wanted and it definitely would not be worth it for you to pay the extra money for the kink.

That being said you also might want to look into the k2 Raygun if it is at a similar price as the Anagram because I think it will ride similar to the Anagram but be better at higher speeds.

Again I have not actually ridden any of the boards, what I say is just based off of the specs.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are thinking of purchasing at sportchek?

The Raygun at sportchek is 303.99. If it were me I would definitely pay the extra 50 dollars or so to step up from the Anagram to the Raygun. I just think the Raygun will ride better all mountain.

The Raygun does have a 3/4 inch stance setback but that shouldn't hinder learning to ride switch much and it will make it better for riding all mountain (I also think it makes it a little easier to land jumps).

I've actually been looking into the Raygun for a while. I bought a Scaremaster a couple months ago for 239.99 in the states but with shipping and everything it ended up being about 300 Canadian. If I had known I would be able to get the Raygun for about the same I think I would have gone for the Raygun since I would have liked a board with a bit more all mountain capability. But whatever, both boards are probably a lot of fun!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Having ridden both of these boards, I would say that the Anagram is stiffer (less tech core) and has slight (they call it "catch free") rocker. Both are twin, both are centered, neither is directional anything. The Kink is more jib/butter friendly than the Agram due to the Slimewalls and Prorise Rocker.

The price on the Agram is good (if it is in fact a 2011), so that is really hard to pass up, but if you wind up buying a new board next season because it didn't do what you wanted it to, you will be out more than $400...I guess if you are trying to decide between a Kink and Agram, then you may not have been a Kink customer from the start.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is what the good ride had to say about the kink:

Intermediate to Expert Freestyle Jib
Flat Camber Twin Like Directional Shape
The Kink has a solid build that is made to deal with the jib park and not much outside of it. The Kink is pretty soft and playful. This is called low pro rocker but it's more flat camber than rocker. What ever that means it really means that the Kink is pretty stable between Jibs and is fun to play with.

So for some reason their borders that tested it thought it was twin-like directional but yeah, on the sportchek description it says it is a centered true twin.

Even so its still meant as a jib board and the Raygun will be better all mountain/on bigger jumps. And is over 100 dollars cheaper.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
This is what the good ride had to say about the kink:

Intermediate to Expert Freestyle Jib
Flat Camber Twin Like Directional Shape
The Kink has a solid build that is made to deal with the jib park and not much outside of it. The Kink is pretty soft and playful. This is called low pro rocker but it's more flat camber than rocker. What ever that means it really means that the Kink is pretty stable between Jibs and is fun to play with.

So for some reason their borders that tested it thought it was twin-like directional but yeah, on the sportchek description it says it is a centered true twin.

Even so its still meant as a jib board and the Raygun will be better all mountain/on bigger jumps. And is over 100 dollars cheaper.
Lupin,
Thanks for your help. I think I've definitely been swayed into getting the K2 instead of the Ride now.
But now I don't know if I want the Anagram or the Raygun lol.

Here's some more info on my riding:
The hills I go on around where I'm at aren't big at all so I'm mostly in the Park anyway. I only go to big mountains about once a year for a couple days and then when I'm riding those is the only time I'm usually on the mountain instead of the park. I also really wanna learn switch this year as noted before.

Personally, I don't really like the Rayguns graphics that much and the fact that it is not totally centered kinda deters me as well.
If I don't really plan on going "warp speed" down a mountain; quick but not blisteringly fast, would you say that the Anagram would still be good?
That would definitely help my decision?

Thanks
SnowboardRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would take Ride's info over another individual's review. I have their catalog in hand. The Kink's nose and tail width is identical in each size. The side cut radius is symmetrical in each size. The stance is centered in each size. And Prorise is flat all the way past the insert and rockered (the same amount) on the nose and tail. Unfortunately I could not find those specs for you on Ride's website. I will email their Sales Manager to see if they can't get those there for people to read.

I read the review that you copied from; I think that they are just trying to describe the board not using the companies term for their rocker shape. The problem is that "flat camber" doesn't exist. Flat is flat and Camber is camber. You can combine the two shape (three if you want include rocker) but they cannot exist in the same spot on a board. Once you combine and two of the three existing shapes, you get "hybrid" rocker.

If you can get a Raygun for $250, buy it. A Kink should be $350 and if there is a Raygun out there for "over $100 cheaper" it is a steal. And the Raygun rips for a $350 board!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is what the good ride said about the Anagram:

Beginner to Intermediate Freestyle to All Mountain
Continuous Rocker Twin Shape
The K2 Anagram is a good beginner Twin shaped snowboard despite the fact it has an extruded base. An extruded base is less expensive and more sturdy but a bit slower than the very common sintered base you see on most snowboards. Another issue with extruded bases is they are a bit more difficult to repair. For 2011 the Anagram now has a very smooth rocker that makes for a catch free ride. It doesn't have the pop or carving ability that the 2010 had but it performs better in powder and is a little more jib friendly. The Anagram has built in more tech than your average snowboard for this price. So you lose a little speed, which is ok if you are a beginner/intermediate rider, but you get a board that has a good all around performance. This is perfect for those that want to learn a bit of everything in the park and mountain.

Here is what the good ride said about the Raygun:

Intermediate to Expert All Mountain Freestyle
Continuous All Mountain Rocker Twin
The K2 Raygun is a good all mountain to freestyle rocker snowboard. It has stability when flat basing and hitting more than a crusing speed. It's not the best when it comes to carving but the Raygun will be great for jibbing all over the mountain. For the price its hard to get a good all mountian freestyle snowboard at this level.

The k2 Raygun also won a good wood award this year from Transworld Snowboarding and this is what they said:

A brand-new board in the K2 line, the Raygun performs as well in the park as it does in the sidecountry. Generous rocker in the tips yields maximum float in pow and easy presses in the park, while its setback stance keeps you firmly in the driver’s seat. With carbon fibers woven throughout the topsheet, this gun is steady and easy to aim.

“Really good carving board. It has a great shape and flex for ripping turns and jumps.”

Honestly, its hard to say without having ridden the boards which you will like better but the testers seemed to really like the Raygun both at the good ride and at Transworld. The Raygun will most likely be better when you hit the big mountain and will probably be more stable at high speeds or when flat basing.

As far as the park at your local resort I personally think the Anagram would be totally fine and the centered stance should make it a little easier to ride switch (although none of the testers had any problems riding switch on the raygun-but they are advanced to expert park riders). If you are first learning to ride switch the anagram probably would be better. Also learning to ride switch is kind of like learning to ride again for some (it was for me) and having a board intended for beginners with a catch-free rocker will most likely make it easier.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
I would take Ride's info over another individual's review. I have their catalog in hand. The Kink's nose and tail width is identical in each size. The side cut radius is symmetrical in each size. The stance is centered in each size. And Prorise is flat all the way past the insert and rockered (the same amount) on the nose and tail. Unfortunately I could not find those specs for you on Ride's website. I will email their Sales Manager to see if they can't get those there for people to read.

I read the review that you copied from; I think that they are just trying to describe the board not using the companies term for their rocker shape. The problem is that "flat camber" doesn't exist. Flat is flat and Camber is camber. You can combine the two shape (three if you want include rocker) but they cannot exist in the same spot on a board. Once you combine and two of the three existing shapes, you get "hybrid" rocker.

If you can get a Raygun for $250, buy it. A Kink should be $350 and if there is a Raygun out there for "over $100 cheaper" it is a steal. And the Raygun rips for a $350 board!
Yeah you are definitely right about the Kink. The good ride got in wrong. Although I do find the good ride reviews helpful in general. The boards that I have ridden do ride pretty similar to how the good ride says they will ride. But they make mistakes for sure.

The Raygun at our local store is 303.99 Canadian! Which is sweet! The kink is 415 Canadian. I have no idea why the Raygun is at such a good price. Boards in Canada are almost never cheaper than in the US. Capita Stairmasters for example cost 400 dollars here.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Here is what the good ride said about the Anagram:

Beginner to Intermediate Freestyle to All Mountain
Continuous Rocker Twin Shape
The Anagram is flat between the feet too, not continuous. I was just looking around the thegoodride and I think they have really good reviews...just bad description of rocker lines. I can't blame them though, there are only about 100+ variations (names) of camber, flat, rocker, and hybrid. When it comes to rocker lines, you have to take the company's word for it, after all, they are the ones who designed it.

Lupin, thanks for showing me that site though, I had never been on there before. Do you know where these guys are out of?