Newbie - Looking for board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie - Looking for board advice

Hi everyone...I am looking for some advice regarding my first board. Some things about myself:

Experience: Gone about 3 times and taken a lesson or two. Looking to buy a board for this season to save money overall and help with consistency.
Age/Height/Weight: 26yrs old, 5'7 and 142lbs.
Boot size: 8.5
Style: Reading up on boards I think I'm basically looking for a standard all mountain board.
Budget: ~$500 all in (board/boots/binding)

From the research I've done so far, I'm thinking of getting a new board that's part of last seasons lineup. I'm liking either the K2 Brigade or Anagram, or the Rome Crail. I've also seen a couple Rossignol boards that interest me, although I'm a little weary purely based on the negative press the brand has on the forums. Also while I have nothing personal against burton, I have heard from a couple sources that the markup just isn't worth it on a beginners board.

I'm currently looking at a new 2010 Rome Crail for $215 before shipping (so $245 total). Would this be a good buy? I feel that if I can get a good board between 250-300, I can work in decent boots + bindings and stay within or just a bit over my budget.

All input is greatly appreciated

Edit: The other board I forgot to mention was a 2010 Saloman Ace which is also ~$200. Thanks

Last edited by Solitaire; 12-10-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: More Info
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Update: Went to a couple stores and tried on the different setups. I'm currently looking at:

2010 Rome Crail - $250
2011 Salomon Patriot Bindings - $140
2011 Northwave Freedoms - $160

Put a refundable deposit down on the setup and went home to think about it. I have to decide within the next 2-3 days so any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Update: Went to a couple stores and tried on the different setups. I'm currently looking at:

2010 Rome Crail - $250
2011 Salomon Patriot Bindings - $140
2011 Northwave Freedoms - $160

Put a refundable deposit down on the setup and went home to think about it. I have to decide within the next 2-3 days so any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers
Answering both posts: would you mind listing the length and size of the bindings?
The Crail appears to be a beginner-ish board and its price point is OK if you're buying new. Salomon is not particularly known for their bindings - doesn't mean they're bad. Northwave is a good boot brand and I've seen the freedoms reviewed positively across the board.
Also, Rossignol is an on/off brand here, some people believe they're POS and some believe they're a fine brand. Some believe they have specific boards that are great and ones that aren't at all. Based on the fact that I can't recall any specific complaints about a Rossignol board here, I think they're all right for boards.

Last edited by rainboarding; 12-10-2010 at 11:22 PM.
rainboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

The board is 156, and the bindings are a Medium. Boot size is a 9 for what it's worth.

To be honest the bindings are the one thing I couldn't decide on. I kinda focused on heavily researching boots and boards, and kinda forgot about the bindings. I asked the guy at the store to help with something decent, but not over the top and I settled on the Salomons.

I've searched these boards for them, but haven't seen anything. The only reviews I can find suggest they are somewhat mediocre bindings, which is more or less what I was looking for, but not sure if I can find it any cheaper.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
The board is 156, and the bindings are a Medium. Boot size is a 9 for what it's worth.

To be honest the bindings are the one thing I couldn't decide on. I kinda focused on heavily researching boots and boards, and kinda forgot about the bindings. I asked the guy at the store to help with something decent, but not over the top and I settled on the Salomons.

I've searched these boards for them, but haven't seen anything. The only reviews I can find suggest they are somewhat mediocre bindings, which is more or less what I was looking for, but not sure if I can find it any cheaper.
At your weight and foot size I would say that you should have gone smaller. Someone at 142 lbs and a small-ish foot size could maneuver easier with a low 150s board. Especially since you are a beginner the last thing you need is a plank-ish feel to your board to hinder turns. I would say that 153 is a better size.

The bindings/boot sizes are all right. Still, to be frank I'm not sure I would have spent 550 on a new setup made up of mediocre equipment. Did you look for any deals online before you pulled the trigger on this?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey rainboarding...I've been looking around online for some time now. I actually live in Canada so a lot of the "free shipping" deals that are available down south don't apply to me. I've searching the-house/evo/trusnow and while the basic board/boots/bindings are cheaper, once I factor in shipping/customs it basically ends up being the same. This also applies to ebay.

Also as this is my my first setup, I was very weary of buying everything online because (once again) if it didn't fit/work and I needed to return or exchange stuff I have to deal with the whole international thing.

That being said...
Board
I "think" the board is a decent deal. I know it's not a steal...but after about a month of searching the best price I ever saw on a 2010 Rome Crail was $200 + $40 shipping on ebay. I'd potentially have to cough up another $20 as customs which kinda brings me to the same price point. Now as far as size is concerned, I just went off the sizing chart + what I had read. According to the board the 153 is for 125lbs - XXX and the 156 is 135 - XXX. I guessed this to mean I fit the 156 better? This actually kinda worries me now...

Boots
I've tried on about 5 or 6 different boots, and these were by far the comfiest. I've read some good things about them, and the price was pretty competetive with what I had seen around. If anything, this is the part of the setup that I am least worried about, even if I did go over a bit.

Bindings
Really should have done some more research on these. I kinda had this mentality that they weren't that big a deal, although the more I think about it now the more I'm concerned about whether I a) Overpaid for subpar bindings and b) could have done just as well with something a lot cheaper. I tried the boots on with Burton Freestyles, the ride LX and some of the entry level Drake bindings. The Salomons felt better, although by the time I went through I could have just been making it up which is one of the reasons I just put a hold order and walked away.

I haven't heard very good things about the K2 Indys (my other choice), and am having the worst timing buying used bindings.

Hmmm...went on a bit of a speel there I see =) Just excited/anxious to make a good purchase...not necessarily looking for the deal of the year, but want to know I'm not just wasting hard earned money. As per above, I have the option to make changes or worst case return the whole thing for money back. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

You're right I shouldn't have labeled it that way - definitely keep the boots the freedoms are well-regarded.

Also didn't know you were in Canada...that makes all the price points more reasonable. I know you guys get screwed by MSRP up there so upon reflecting you paid decent prices for your purchases. How much did the Burton Freestyles cost?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

The burtons were $20 cheaper...so $120 I think? Those were the first ones I tried on, as I'd heard a lot about them. They didn't seem all that great, and had less padding support than the Patriots. I'm just a little surprised that no one else has tried on the patriots or even heard of them.

I feel like bindings (in terms of the relationship between price and quality) have a bit of dead space where the improvement between $100 bindings and $180 bindings are somewhat insignificant. I'm currently debating whether I should bite the bullet and go up a notch, or get a pair of Drakes that I don't expect to last more than a season (maybe two).