Waxing Kits - Not your average question - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Alright so I have decided upon the T4B Kit, thanks for all the help so far guys. Much appreciated

On a side note, do you guys think it would be worth it to purchase a full sized brass brush along with the kit and what is your guys opinions on the 3-1 tools?
Xenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

with all due respect (snowolf's videos first convinced me I could hot wax at home), not everyone will quickly get to the proficiency of being able to use a metal scraper for wax. Yeah, it's faster, but the metal scraper is originally in the kit to scrape off the excess p-tex mounds when filling gouges/core shots (and to shield the base from unwanted melted p-tex). Frequent use of this aggressive scraper for wax jobs, by novices such as us, can prematurely deplete the structure.

The 3 in 1 tool is used to sharpen the edge only after the burs have been removed/sanded with the included whetstone. These burs are too hard and will dull the shallow file on the tool. Eventually, you will sharpen away enough metal that the sidewall will start getting in the way - that's when you put the deep/panzar file in the tool and shave the sidewall flush to the metal. Like the metal scraper, the panzar file is too aggressive to use first (I learned that the hard way).

buying a brass brush was also snowolf's influence...I can't imagine not having one. I use it only to prep the base for waxing - it gets a lot of the old dirty wax out of the structure. I think it's a bit too aggressive for a final brushing (I use a stiff nylon brush for that)...but I'm a relative novice.

Last edited by extra0; 12-12-2010 at 11:25 AM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #23 (permalink)

Alright, so here is the list so far...

T4B Kit
Brass Brush
Get edges done at shop

So, my follow up question is if I should get a diamond stone or gummy stone, what is the difference between them, and if I should get coarse/medium/or fine? Oh, and the edges I should get a 1-2 degree max on both base and side for a all mountain rider correct?
Xenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

as a waxing beginner, you might be jumping the gun a bit with the stones. The kit already comes with one good enough to de-bur.

...instead, I'd invest in a full size nylon bristle brush (the brush included in the kit is "travel size"). This brush wisks the last bit of wax out of the base structure at the very end of a wax job. I reccommend buying one the same coarse stifness as the the one that comes included (there are finer nylon brushes, but they're kinda advanced for racers)
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote