Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Waxing Kits - Not your average question (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/34007-waxing-kits-not-your-average-question.html)

Xenth 12-10-2010 04:05 AM

Waxing Kits - Not your average question

Hey,

So this is my first time posting here, been lurking over the past few days as I have been getting more into boarding. Main reason due to me actually having my own mode of transportation to the mountain and not having to rely on a ride lol...I have had my own gear for 2 seasons now and am in the process of buying boots due to me outgrowing my old ones, but thats a topic for another thread. Anyways, my question is do waxing kits ever go on sale on like boxing day for example or are they like some things that if they do go on sale its like a 5% savings? I've been reading tons on waxing and how important it is, thanks Snowwolf for the Waxing Video's and countless responses to threads which answered many of my quests btw:cool:, and looked like something I could do easily myself (for the most part im a diy kind of guy). I have read all the suggestions to just get a cheap old iron, etc but I really would like a kit as an easy container for storage as well as I figure I my-swell buy one now instead of a couple years down the road.

So the kits I have been considering in order of where I would rank them...lol (I live in Canada btw)

1) Tools4boards Superstation - https://www.tools4boards.com/US-SuperStation.html
2) Dakine Super Tuning Kit - DAKINE Super Tune Tuning Kit - USA from Backcountry.com
3) Sport Chek Kit (Iron seperate from waxing kit) - Toko Tuning Promo Kit - SportChek.ca and Kuusport Snowboard and Ski Wax Iron - SportChek.ca

ev13wt 12-10-2010 05:18 AM

Crazy gear freak!

Just get a cheap old iron (Or new cheap), cover it with left over stickers. Get a small tupperware box where it fits inside with the rest of the crap. Buy a cold wax stick and an all temp wax. Get 2 of the plastic scrapers and some scotch brite pads and if you wanna overdo it, get a brush.

Done. Let a shop do your edges once a year. The machine is just better than any file guide.

Cover tupperware box with more stickers.

hpin 12-10-2010 11:55 AM

:thumbsup: for Tools4boards.

DuncanShea 12-10-2010 12:41 PM

I just ditched my old cheap wax iron for a Toko T14. I think a digital wax iron with a thick base makes all the difference in the world. The old iron would not hold a constant temp (thin base plate, porr thermostat), was hard to get the right temp, and took forever to get the wax evenly melted.

I also strongly suggest waxing paper. Cut the amount of scrapping by more than half.

Check out Tognar for a great tool selection
Ski Snowboard Wax Waxing Irons Tools Scrapers Brushes Tognar

Milo303 12-10-2010 12:45 PM

Don't use a crappy iron like ev1 is saying.... The heating element in it is very unreliable and doesn't hold a constant temp. You can burn your base and wax very easily.

Really you don't need to buy some kit either... I've pieced all my stuff together along the way.

Grab some oneballjay wax, a real iron, maybe a swix or something, and get a decent scraper thats only like 3"-4" wide or so...

Tognar has all of this stuff except oneballjay I think... Tognar is the shit

Milo303 12-10-2010 12:47 PM

And all temp wax isn't good for all temperatures.... It has a range just like every other wax, and if you want to slide, you get the right wax. I can't stand the velcro feeling, it drives me insane...

Chris2347 12-10-2010 12:53 PM

umm I ended up piecing my kit together as well, went the the local shop, got a dakine iron and a big block of all temp KUU wax that they use in the back, and they threw in half a block cold temp wax and a scraper so yea i'd suggest checking out your local shops

ev13wt 12-10-2010 01:22 PM

40 bucks for an iron lol. Ok if you want to, go for it.

Xenth 12-10-2010 01:47 PM

Mmm... I don't have the money to pay $120 now for the a good wax iron, just trying to getting a starting setup if you know what I mean;) Ok, so in your guys opinions the 3 in 1 file guides are inaccurate? I'm a welder so I would say I have a decent amount of experience with filing, working with metal etc; however, my "skills" can only take me so far if the tool I'm using is inaccurate lol...so yes or no on the 3-1 file guides or just take it into the shop once a year like ev13wt suggested? Another issue I face is there really is no board shops in my town, I have Sport Chek and Source for Sports lol... however, I could take the hour drive into Vancouver and check out shops there.

mysterl33 12-10-2010 02:04 PM

I was just going to make a thread like this haha

How are edge tuners? are they necessary when I'm waxing my board? I was thinking of buying this One Ball Jay Edger Tuning Kit - Snowboard Shop > Snow Accessories > Snowboard Tune and Wax and then buying a scraper and using an old iron. but it seems using a household iron could be bad for the board.. so maybe I'll get a iron for 35 bucks? So lost right now on what to do haha trying to do everything with spending the least money.

Files or Stone? which one is better? aren;t they both for deburring and detuning edges?