Base theories, pro snowboarders, and too many choices - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I think there are too many options out there as well...and I'll never get to try most of them. So tried and true camber is what I'll always ride. The few alt camber/alt base boards I've tried didn't compare to the response and stability of camber. I hate loose, spagetti, and drifty boards and have yet to come across a non traditional camber board that doesn't fall into one of those categories. So I give up
My Bataleon Goliath is basically a cambered board but with a plank in the middle. I think after all is said and done, camber is what I'll stick with after trying out some more stuff.

I think the clearest distinctions that can be made is that pure rocker is great for jibbing/buttering and camber is better for everything else. I'm sure that there's the right blend out there that can TRULY do it all, but I'm not sure any company has found that perfect sweet spot yet. It's going to take a while for "the best" shape to be agreed upon.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Have you tried out a rocker/camber or a camrock board yet? If not, you definitely should. I always rode camber until i got my Never Summer with RC, and now I won't ever go back to camber.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
Great point actually. I think that's the problem. I picked a board last year and was happy with my purchase, but I did wonder if I chose right. On a side note, I'm never worried about looks though. I don't care what it looks like if it has good performance.

If you have some time watch that video I posted. He argues that with too many choices, the opportunity cost is greater. People worry about it too much as a result, and now the burden is no longer the manufacturer and it's lack of choices or mediocre product. Now the burden is on the consumer because with a myriad of choices, they could have picked better. In effect, too many choices makes people less happy.

And just to be clear, more choice is good. But there's a magic number somewhere :P
Oh I won't deny there's too many companies out there marketing the same shit differently. Snowboarding is going through a cycle right now like the mid 90's had where there were 10's of hundreds of companies popping up all the time. Hell I have a Blak Sheep that has micrognarrockcamber which is the same as NS's R.C. Tech, have a Lamar that has their anti-cam it's the same as k2's all-mountain, and then next to that is a Niche Aether with center reverse that looks just like my Arbor Coda which has the all-mountain system.

Lots of overlap in the alt tech which is why I just broke down what is what on the site.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

pure rocker is pretty much good for nothing except for riding deep pow.
Shocktroop531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktroop531 View Post
pure rocker is pretty much good for nothing except for riding deep pow.
Pretty bold statement.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
Have you tried out a rocker/camber or a camrock board yet? If not, you definitely should. I always rode camber until i got my Never Summer with RC, and now I won't ever go back to camber.
At this point I've tried everything except flat and the camrock type shape. Flat interests me. Matt of fact I'm looking at rides tech this year which seems very similar to k2s... nevertheless I think ride might have something with their prorize/prorize hybrid shape.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
At this point I've tried everything except flat and the camrock type shape. Flat interests me. Matt of fact I'm looking at rides tech this year which seems very similar to k2s... nevertheless I think ride might have something with their prorize/prorize hybrid shape.
My prediction is that regular ProRize will be gone next year, replaced by Hybrid ProRize. Right now there are two different versions of the DH2: the standard model (ProRize) and the limited edition DH2.4/DH2.5 (Hybrid ProRize). I can't see Ride maintaining both versions of this tech next year, especially after all their pros seem to have expressed a preference for the Hybrid version (that's why it was rushed into the limited editions). In fact, I think the Hybrid tech (slight camber in the middle) eventually will replace Ride's current tech (flat in the middle) across the line. The various rocker options at the tips probably will stay about the same, I'd guess.

I've ridden my DH2.4 a couple of times so far, and I have not had any adjustment period in coming from a regular camber board. None. No new turning techniques to implement, no washout-proneness or slippery feeling to combat. At the same time, however, the board feels quicker edge to edge, a bit easier to turn, and definitely easier to ride flat. I guess the slight rocker at the tips is doing its job.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you think Ride rushes anything you have no idea. There's going to be some new models for 2012.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
If you think Ride rushes anything you have no idea.
What I think is based on what Ride has said in discussions about this topic, e.g.: "The team picked it almost unanimously as the best this summer testing at Hood and the testing was so late we were only able to get put [sic] Hybrid ProRize on 3 models, the OMG, DH2.4, and DH2.5."
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Hmm this thread has gotten me nervous about buying a new board. I was pretty set on picking up the capita ultrafear. Now maybe it isn't a good one haha.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote