New Rider! 6'4 and needs HELP!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default New Rider! 6'4 and needs HELP!!

Hey guys, im a new rider interested in an all mountain board that has insane carving capabilites. I have a budget of about 500. only problem is,im 6'4, 220lbs.. and im a size 12 boot and none of the boards that i want come in wide! can i pull off a standard width board without dragging my feet in a forward stance riding position? i would like a board with great control, not really worried about speed, interested in length between 159-164 with regular or hybrid camber (no v-rockers!). Thanks for your help.

-Leland

EDIT: that 161 Capita Quiver Killer is in my sights, really worried about drag tho since it isnt wide. Live in MD so there arent really any local board shops
Droid Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Smokin KT-22 comes 159W, 162W, or 166W. Magne-traction, Clash Rocker (hybrid rocker/camber), 3 year warranty, made in USA by a small independent company I'm eyeing a 159 right now. I want one dammit!
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid Axiom View Post
Hey guys, im a new rider interested in an all mountain board that has insane carving capabilites. I have a budget of about 500. only problem is,im 6'4, 220lbs.. and im a size 12 boot and none of the boards that i want come in wide! can i pull off a standard width board without dragging my feet in a forward stance riding position? i would like a board with great control, not really worried about speed, interested in length between 159-164 with regular or hybrid camber (no v-rockers!). Thanks for your help.

-Leland

EDIT: that 161 Capita Quiver Killer is in my sights, really worried about drag tho since it isnt wide. Live in MD so there arent really any local board shops
Hi Droid Axiom,

Tip to tip length (159-164 for example) is not an important measurement and can be really misleading when trying to find the perfect board. You are nearing the top end of the size scale and to get a board that functions raelly well for you, you will need to make some careful choices.

The Bataleon Omni 167 will be an awesome choice. It is 27.4 cm wide at the center inserts, which will be a great match for your feet with all mountain/carving angles. TBT (Triple base Technology) is incredible and will give you the cambered contact that you are after and still reduce edge bite.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

brand new rider interested in insane carving capabilities?
cjs2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs2002 View Post
brand new rider interested in insane carving capabilities?
ok, not exactly new, ive snowboarded twice with my uncle in tahoe, dont fall down often, but i was using the step on rentals with a plastic board. i can only imagine how much better i would be using my own board

Last edited by Droid Axiom; 12-14-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Droid Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

You will ride a while before your first carves. Instead of a cambered board, I actually suggest a rocker one. It will make it all much easier to learn. Rent at Tahoe to try out some different ones?!
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have the same shoe size and you dont have to be limited to wide boards as other boards not labled as wide wmay still be fine for you, just try a few different boards. Like the man above me said, try out some differnt ones at the mountain.
JoeBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
TLN

I can't understand one think over here.
Why you all advice so small boards here? his weight is 220(so as mine), and i believe he shold get no shorter than 165. better 167 or even more. I bet he is not going to corks in close future, so longer boards mean higher stability and speed.
And i think wider board is a must too. It's easier to ride in powder, or land the tricks with the wider one.

Look at the recommended riders weight for a boards, for example prior boards: All Mountain Freestyle 165 Wide weight range: 150-220. So his weight on the bigger end of this. Any freeride boards?? 170-230 recommends 170W Khyber.
And you recommend get a 160cm boards?
He'd be able to get to the bottom on any board, but it'd be more fun riding faster and more stable on a longer one.

Well, My opinion? I ride NS legacy-r 174, but i think LR 166, 170(better this one) would be enough, if there's not alot powder. Also check out another 166+ wide boards: Arbors, Ride, NS, Unity. They aren't cheap, but that would be so fun to go. And they would last 2-3 years.
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Deleted: wrong thread
kingkoajmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLN View Post
I can't understand one think over here.
Why you all advice so small boards here? his weight is 220(so as mine), and i believe he shold get no shorter than 165. better 167 or even more. I bet he is not going to corks in close future, so longer boards mean higher stability and speed.
And i think wider board is a must too. It's easier to ride in powder, or land the tricks with the wider one.

Look at the recommended riders weight for a boards, for example prior boards: All Mountain Freestyle 165 Wide weight range: 150-220. So his weight on the bigger end of this. Any freeride boards?? 170-230 recommends 170W Khyber.
And you recommend get a 160cm boards?
He'd be able to get to the bottom on any board, but it'd be more fun riding faster and more stable on a longer one.

Well, My opinion? I ride NS legacy-r 174, but i think LR 166, 170(better this one) would be enough, if there's not alot powder. Also check out another 166+ wide boards: Arbors, Ride, NS, Unity. They aren't cheap, but that would be so fun to go. And they would last 2-3 years.
^yup, rad air tanker, doughboy, grocer and the likes...don't go shorter than 166-168 and pay attention to how wide you can go with your stance (binding inserts)...i'd imagine you could go comfortably over 25"